5.0 out of 5 stars The first Regency I read , it got me hooked!
Published on 16 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to get onto the storyline
It was hard to get into the storyline of this book, but then it's the first time of reading any of her books..
Published 2 months ago by Jennifer Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars The first Regency I read , it got me hooked!, 16 July 2000
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I found a battered copy of this on the crewroom floor at work and as I was at a loose end I read it . I was hooked on Georgette Heyer from that moment . On her way to London Arabella seeks shelter in Mr Beaumaris' house having no idea who he is . He thinks it a ploy on her part and she overhears his not very flattering opinion of her . She decides to pay him back by pretending to be an heiress who would never be interested in him , little knowing that she will meet him everywhere in London and her heiress tale will spread like wildfire . Conseqeuntly , she has all the fortune hunters after her but the only man she really wants is Beaumaris . She can never marry him and keep up the pretence but how can she tell him the truth and not loose him ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - Ulysses is the next great Character!, 13 Nov 2005
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
Arabella is one of my favourite Heyer books and part of its charm are the amusing conversations that Beaumaris has with the little dog Ulysses. The central idea that because Arabella isn’t interested in Beaumaris, that piques his interest and makes him pursue her, works quite well except it’s never entirely clear what it is about her that DOES attract him. Yes, she’s pretty – although younger than his usual lady, but she is also innocent and unworldly and therefore makes mistakes that he appears (rather surprisingly) to find charming; she foists young orphans, mongrel dogs and penniless brothers on him (not usually guaranteed to snare your man) and she withholds the truth of her fortune from him – not knowing that he already knows it.
Beaumaris starts the book seeming jaded, bored – the typical rich Heyer hero (although untitled this time), but he seems to become more and more amiable as the book goes on, going against his better judgement in order to humour her in many areas (such as Jemmy the Climbing Boy that he takes in). His conversations with the dog are fantastic though – Heyer occasionally includes dogs in her books and she always gives a wonderfully affectionate and amusing portrait, such as Lufra in the book Frederica and Bouncer in The Reluctant Widow.
The book is a great fun read, with lots of interesting characters well-drawn. For me the only real disappointment is that we never really know quite why Beaumaris falls in love with Arabella, apart from her innocence and freshness, and also why he is so sure that she does really like him when she has given him so little encouragement.
Despite these negative comments, read it and enjoy it. It’s well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Georgette Heyer's, 28 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Arabella (Mass Market Paperback)
This has to be one of her funniest, the characters are so full of life and yet it is all done so lightly, with no heavy handedness. The hero and heroine are, as ever, very interesting characters, and I personally find the hero's unrepentant mischievousness much more appealing than any plaster saint.
Though the 'conversations' with his dog has to be the highlights of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my very favourite Heyer, 9 Oct 2009
bookelephant (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I am somewhat disconcerted to see that this gets such lukewarm reviews from other reviewers, as I would probably say that it is my favourite of all the Georgette Heyers! So why is that? Well, unlike the other reviewers I have no difficulty at all in seeing why Beaumaris falls in love with Arabella - I adore her too! Not only is she (of course) stunningly beautiful (one of the dark beauties, not the "guinea gold" ones, in case you are interested), but she is plainly very intelligent (her ready understanding of the new world that her trip to London enters her upon, and her playing those rules to her best advantage) and most importantly she is a very good person, with strong principles for which she is prepared to fight (the scene when she rescues a chimney sweep who falls into her room is hilarious, and touching). I for one can readily see that for a basically good man, beset by temptations to selfishness and selfindulgence, a very beautiful and forceful conscience would make an excellent wife! Beaumaris' process of softening, through exposure to Arabella's unspoilt nature (and the charming blandishments of Ulysses) is a pleasure to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, witty - good story on way to expected ending, 2 Aug 2001
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
Arabella, beautiful and spirited penniless Yorkshire girl has chance of one Season in London. Initial meeting with society leader, Mr. Beaumaris, leads to misunderstandings but eventual happiness. Set against the background of Regency London, this books lifts the curtain on the harsher side of London life, contrasting it with the pampered social round of the well born. Amusing, witty and a tale well told - a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Georgette Heyer (so far, and I've read lots), 23 May 2000
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
This is my all-time favourite Georgette Heyer novel and indeed one of my favourite novels full stop. It is a fairytale combination of a sweet, lively and infinitely likeable heroine in Arabella and a hero which is the closest I've found to Mr Darcy in the appealing hero stakes in Mr Beaumaris. The storyline is charming, the characters captivating - this is definitely one which you will look forward to re-reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars DELICIOUS, DELICIOUS, DELICIOUS., 12 Jun 2010
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I think this might be my fave Heyer novel so far, it's enchanting to read, and I couldn't put it down for a minute!
It's about beautiful but relitively poor Arabella Tallant who gets to go to London for the season to come out, under the guardianship of her godmother, Lady Bridlington. On the way, she is obliged to take shelter under the house of a gentleman called Mr Beaumaris who is having dinner with his friend, Lord Fleetwood. Mr Beaumaris thinks she is just another girl trying to get hold of his wealth by some elaborate scheme, and Arabella, so annoyed with him, and thinking that she'll never see him again, pretends to be an heiress of enornmous wealth.
When she arrives in London, she finds that her reputatuion has got there faster thanks to Lord Fleetwood's big mouth and soon, every dandy, buck, fop and fourtune hunter are after her. And she meets Mr Beaumaris again, who knows the truth, but lives in hope of Arabella falling in love with him and telling him the truth, unknowing of the fact that he is already half in love with her himself...I know, SO romantic!
The ending ties up well with Robert Beaumaris taking care of the mess that Arabella has got herself into and that of her brother, young Bertram Tallant. You can't help but fall for this hero yourself and the ending is so satisfying, and Beaumaris is all knowing and arranges their marraige...sigh...I can't praise this book enough, just buy it, read it and you'll see what I mean. Just Fantastic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Georgette Heyer, 24 Aug 2002
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
This is without doubt my favourite Georgette Heyer. Beaumaris is the perfect hero - handsome, elegant and incapable of refusing the demands of the lovely Arabella. But he doesn't gush his feelings - he just gets on with it, so you know how he feels by how he acts. You always know what the result will be, and because it is so well written, you can thoroughly enjoy the journey towards it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ulysees Steals the Show., 12 Aug 2008
Kit (Dewsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I seem to be chain-reading Heyer's Regency romances at the moment, and this one has been my latest. I very much enjoyed it, but the book only really came to life after the rescue and Beaumaris's subsequent adoption of Ulysees the mongrel. His relationship with Ulysees and also that of his staff is joyful. (While we are on the subject, a mention must also go to Painswick, Beaumaris's fastidious valet - a very camp David Walliams should play him if ever there was a dramatisation.)

I did find it a bit hard to believe sometimes how Beaumaris always seemed to know everything, but maybe that's just fustian nonsense on my part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 5 Dec 1999
This review is from: Arabella (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book to all Heyer fans. I find Arabella my favorite heroine out of all the Georgette Heyer's books I have read. Arabella is a naive, but extremely spirited young lady. Therefore when she feels herself slighted by the arrogant Mr Beaumaris she has no scruples in putting him into his place. However the tables seem to turn and Arabella gets into a number of scrapes which seem to place Mr Beaumaris the leader of the little 'game' that they play. Very witty and really a very charming book

Arabella