4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Enjoyable
I recall seeing the original a long time ago, but am not one to concern myself with comparing it to the original. This is a modern take on the Arthur Story and initially I thought Russell Brand would be awful, although I held back, he'd played some parts in other films okay, so why not give it a try.

Russell Brand (Arthur) is convincing, he's eccentric in...
Published on 14 Jan 2012 by James Lever

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong cast
I love Russell Brand but he does not suit this movie, great acting from Dame Helen Mirrien but Brand shouldn't have wasted his time he seems like a 2year old in this and his accent changes regularly. If you LOVE Russ like me AVOID-- keep to forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get him to the Greek.
Published 22 months ago by snowy1980

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Enjoyable, 14 Jan 2012
James Lever (Brighton & Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)

Russell Brand (Arthur) is convincing, he's eccentric in himself and plays Arthur well, Helen Mirren works as his Nanny well too - the other actors lower this film a little, but as a bit of fun it has moments of laughter, romance, and warmth.

Some films I buy and never watch again, but actually I think I'm quite likely to watch this again.

4*'s - the other actors could have been better (in storyline and cast). Despite that I found it enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
When I heard that my evenings entertainment was a re-make of a classic comedy starring Russell Brand I had my doubts. I know Russell Brand can be funny but I wasn't convinced he had what it takes to hold my attention for the length of an entire film. I'm pleased to say I was wrong.

I've never seen the original but i've been told it is very good & has some excellent one liners. The 2011 version does seem to focus more on a slapstick style of comedy but there's nothing wrong with that, especially when the premise for the film is quite ridiculus anyway. You won't enjoy the film if you don't like Russell Brand, that is obvious but if you are a fan it is well worth watching.

The film won't win any oscars but it made me laugh and that's the entire point of a comedy so as far as i'm concerned it was a success

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to eat Humble pie, 6 Feb 2012
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I heard of they had decided to remake Arthur I was filled with my usual feelings of anger and disgust at the thought of another classic being destroyed. When I heard Russell Brand was playing Arthur my feelings hit a new level of anger.

After avoiding watching this like the plague I finally got round to watching the Blu Ray.

Well it¡s time to eat a rather large portion of humble pie (maybe I should eat the whole pie) as this is one of the finest remakes I have ever seen. While I¡m not a fan of Russell Brand normally, I have to admit he was wonderful in this film, in fact the whole cast was first class.

I have no problem giving this film 5 stars as I enjoyed every second of it.

Now what's the next remake I'm going to hate:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I absolutely love this film, watched it several times already. I think Russell Brand is fantastic in it, it made me laugh out loud and cry in parts as well!

2.0 out of 5 stars wrong cast, 4 Sep 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars poor, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Very very bad remake, sorry russell you just cant act, not funny, I would strongley suggest seeing the original and not this drivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Product came quickly. No problems at all. And it's just a great film, not as good as the original. But still amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars it was brilliant, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
It was brilliant it came the very next day. And the film works great aswell and its a great film anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arther, 27 May 2014
Brilliant just brilliant!

Loved this film Russell Brand plays Arther very well.

Its funny and heart warming.

Highly recommended :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, just not sure why?, 12 April 2014
A. Jones "firemonkey" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arthur [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I'm never sure if I'll like Russel Brand - sometimes I think he's hillarious, other times not - sort of hit and miss. This was a bit like that too, but never actually hilarious. I did enjoy it, it's a fun movie - Brand's a marmite performer I liked him, but I'm sure others won't... Helen Mirren was very good though and overall I thought it was about as good as the original, but not any better so that I find myself asking why they made it?

Arthur [DVD] [2011]
Arthur [DVD] [2011] by Peter Winer (DVD - 2011)
2.49