5.0 out of 5 stars Russell's a very funny man!
Published 16 days ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars The Potential Is There
Im a big fan of stand up,but I could never make my mind up about Russell Kane,sometimes he would have me crying with laughter,other times he wouldnt make me smile.Which is why Ive only just decided to buy this DVD,been watching his latest series on BBC 3,and been laughing quite a lot at it,so I thought it was time I checked out what he is like live.

It kicked...
Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by The Neon Weasel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell's a very funny man!, 19 April 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
One of my best pickups from Poundworld recently was this DVD. I was familiar with Russell Kane via his appearances on TV shows like 'Mock of the Week' and when he presented 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! NOW!', and found him quite funny. I'd never seen him perform comedy before, but I'm so glad that I bought 'Smokescreens & Castles', and was only disappointed with that this appears to be his only DVD at the moment, because I wanted more.

In his campy and theatrical style, Russell is filled with energy as soon as he sets foot onto the stage. The show, recorded in 2010, focuses heavily on his family, especially his seemingly rather complicated relationship with his father, and although he speaks honestly about his dad's old-fashioned views and ways that were typical for men of his generous, it was still very obvious to me that he really did love his father, and he embraces these stories. Likewise, he is able to poke fun at his routes and hometown, because he feels such affection for them.

Clearly a very clever man, Russell Kane's comedy is deeply personal, very refreshing, and extremely funny. This is one of the best comedy DVDs I've seen in a long time. The extras, an on the sofa interview with Russell's mother, and Russell looking back at his first TV stand-up performance, are also worth a look. Lets have another DVD sir!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Potential Is There, 9 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)

It kicked off really well,hes really sharp and knows how to interact with his audience,but soon it became clear that the whole show was based on storys about his relationship with his father.A brave move to open up your life in such a way,but I soon found all a bit repetative,I dont mean this in an insulting way,but when everything your talking about is based on the same source,its all going to have a familiar feel and sound to it.With 20 minutes to go I was starting to do other things,and only half listening to what was being said,the show had lost my interest.

I can only give the show 3 stars,but I dont regret buying it,because I now know that Russell Kane has the potential to be a great stand up act.As I said hes sharp and can communicate well with his audience,he also has a keen observational eye,and hes not afraid to take a risk or two.I just feel he needs more variation in his act,becasue he can ad lib and is very fast,as his tv show has proved.Hes in a different class to the smug and overrated McIntyre for instance,whos appeal continues to elude me.This could be the DVD we look back on in years to come,as the launch pad for a truly great comedian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokescreens & Castles, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
I'm going to start this review by saying that this was the comedy dvd I was most looking forward to this year, so I'm probably biased. I'm delighted to say tht it didn't disappoint at all.

The show itself is fantastic. Having seen it live, I knew it would be a great spectacle on dvd, but seeing it in front of a hometown audience was a treat. Watching a comedian perform, holding the audience in the palm of his hand and having them clinging onto every word he says, is a brilliant sight. Russell performs with such high energy that it keeps you enthralled all the way through.

The dvd also comes with a couple of extras. There's an interview with Russell's mom, which is both interesting and informative, and the clip of his first ever televised performance (with optional commentary by Russell), which is very funny. It was also quite nice on a personal note, because it made me realise that I saw that show on its first broadcast, and have followed Russell ever since.

Overall, it's a brilliant dvd, showing off one of the best (and hardest working) stand up's in the country. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hes one on his own, so freshing, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
Having read this mixed reviews on this DVD I thought I'd add my own as I've watched it a few times now.
I am a Russell Kane fan but not seen him live or indeed much of his work before this DVD but I wasn't dissapointed.
I watch alot of comedy much of it live and am quite harsh with most comedians as I dislike those that follow a tried and tested format and wanted to see something a bit different and he does't dissapoint.
Yes he uses bad language (but they are only words;they can't actually harm us!) and he does move around an awful lot but the tale he weaves in this DVD is wonderful and at times very moving, for anyone that enjoys comedy (not the tried and tested boring old one liners) then give it a try, he is refreshing, brutally honest and a very sweet guy. I for one will definitely go see his next tour and will watch this DVD again and recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
It was funny but not what I had expected at all. He defiantly someone to watch out for but this wasn't his best work. 5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
This was a gift but recipient was very happy with it

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 18 Dec. 2014
Fantastic service , dvd boring. :o(

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
A really fun and arrived quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!, 17 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
This is well worth the money! I saw him on Live at the Apollo and thought I would get his DVD. Im glad I did, I laughed so much, he just cracks me up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a legend in the making..., 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Russell Kane - Smokescreens & Castles Live [DVD] (DVD)
Well, took my wife and son to see Russell at Lichfield, he even had the cheek to pick on my son and also take the mickey out of the better arf. We never enjoyed a show so much and so I invested in this dvd of his previous show. He's so quick witted, intelligent and can sing through humor and hit the top note of his jokes with a nuke. So, if you haven't seen his show and only snippets of his material on the many tv shows he's appeared on recently, not to mention family fortunes... (he didn't arf look nervous on that one, poor chap), then go and treat yourself, and your family, as we all cried laughing... keep up the great work Russell...all the best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›