on 23 June 2014
The basis of the story was really appealing to me, which is why I downloaded that book. However, the writing style is very heavy and hard-going, it's very difficult to follow the story (I am still not clear after reading the book what the sacred protocol actually is and how it's different from the internet). Anyway, I persevered and the story eventually gathers momentum and I did enjoy it in the end, but it's not easy reading by any stretch of the imagination.
on 15 August 2014
I do not now why but I could not get into it. The writing was not my style
on 26 August 2014
This is such heavy going that I gave up after about a third of the book. There seems to be no action, just page after page of stilted dialogue. Nobodyt speaks normally, they all speak as though they are giving evidence in court or a presentation.
on 17 December 2014
The only reason that I have given the book 1 star is that I cannot give it none. It fails the goods on every criterion, shocking plots, stereotypical characters, and dreadful dialogue, make a lethal combination. The book is set in Spain in the future, but making Columbo or Frost ,Spanish, fails miserably as we still have a badly dressed detective in a funny hat, and who still has hunches in a technological society , and delivers the goods. His attractive female assistant , called Butrageno, a name beloved of football fans of a certain age, is the token female, so emancipation is not evident in this future.
The book is not an enjoyable read and lacks quality, I downloaded it for free, otherwise I would have felt even more annoyed.
on 1 September 2014
marvelous
on 23 April 2014
This is the first book by hylton smith I've read and although I found it hard going in places ended up enjoying it. Would recommend it to anyone especially if you like sci fi thrillers.