5.0 out of 5 stars Almost ideal, 8 Oct 2013
Purpose

I bought this for road cycling throughout the winter, typically 20 to 60 miles, day or night ideally without rain.

Sizing

I am 6'2", 43" chest and measure 61cm from the centre of my armpit to the crease between the end of my arm and my hand.
I bought an XL which seems the better compromise between this and Large for me, any smaller and go for large, room for a bit bigger.
The arms come up long so that at full reach on the drops they are perfect but seem a little long ordinarily. For me its a close rather than tight fit with room for a thin base layer and top if needs be. It's quite an elastic garment so will accommodate a range of girths! The shoulders are broad on this item.

I like the thum hole arrangement at the end of the arm though its not that necessary

The Zip is on the wrong side for us in Britain

It makes use of softshell which beads water and windstops in all the right places. The red panels are thin at the back and under the arms to allow ventilation - also inside the wrists but the arm extensions start inside of this to compensate. The Zip has a guard at the top with a popper to hold it in place. The front pocket has ample room for a phone or similar and the back extends down amply even when tucked on the drops.

This is definitely built to fit best when being used.

I tend to overheat but can see how when it gets colder, this and a good base layer will do for me down to zero once I've frozen my bits off for the first couple of miles warm up.

Not so clever

The back has an interesting arrangement of pockets. There is a zip across the whole opening and a large full width insulated pocket inside. Body side of this large pocket there are three further fabric compartments of the type you get on jerseys, with further insulation between these and your body. All added up, if the base of your back gets hot then think again. Not a huge issue but stops this being perfect. Access to the 3 jersey style pockets is not wonderful (the middle one is slightly larger and easier to get to) but having to unzip and wrestle with it on the move requires practice, skill and patience. The main pocket at the back is easy and you don't have to zip it up anyway.

Summary

I paid £86 for this and really feel it was good value. It looks great and is very well made with very good quality materials. It does its job well and I don't find myself cruising the net anymore for a solution nor did I get any buyers remorse! Delighted

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect winter training jacket, 3 Mar 2013
Well it's not cheap and I'd been 'visiting' it in the shops for a week or two before buying but after one ride in sub-zero temperatures I had to go for it! Where before I'd wear four layers now just a thermal base layer and this in whatever the weather. I love this item and if I could afford it I'd have one for every day of the week!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent jacket, 13 Jan 2014
It was what it was described to be. Good warm winter cycling jacket that fitted well and looks very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, warm top but beware the thumb loops., 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pearl Izumi Men's Pro Softshell 180 Jacket (Sports Apparel)
Excellent fit all round. I flit between medium and large, 5'10" and 82kg so went for the large in this, its snug where it needs to be as stated in the description around your midriff but looser in the upper back and shoulders for stretching out.

It is a very warm top and you will not need more than that and a baselayer on colder scottish days.

The only downside I found with this was the thumb loop/mitt attached to the end of the sleeve. It was one of the reasons I bought the top but in practice its not great. It bunches up under your knuckles when your riding and over a 100miler this is irritating then becomes even more so on shorter runs as you become aware of it.

Also as much as the jacket is water resistant the thumb loop is not and soaks up the water which then soaks up into your long sleeved base layer. I ended up cutting them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket, 22 Feb 2014
Stunning quality and fit, very happy with my purchase. My only gripe is Royal Mail only knocking the door once to make the delivery, I didn't hear them. Had to go to my local depot the following day to collect!

5.0 out of 5 stars ride in style, 12 Jan 2014
Found reviews on this jacket and it came highly recommended, live on the marsh so always windy .
Been out on a few long rides, found it very comfy, warm and looks good.
Even when very cold only need one base layer.
Recommend this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 16 Oct 2013
Fits perfectly, been out a couple of times and it's warm enough at the moment (mid October) plenty of room in the back pocket.
Arms are long enough so sleeves don't roll up as you are riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars an EXCELLENT jacket for cold/wet riding, 30 Sep 2013
I'm also 6'4" and it took me ages to find the right jacket...and I finally have!
Sleeve length is perfect and keeps my wrists covered when down on the TT bars.

My only complaint, and it's just a small complaint, is that there's no small triangular shaped material to cover the top of the zip when it's zipped up. It's just one of those little designs that makes a difference.

Otherwise, five stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket, 6 Feb 2013
Bought it a month ago and been using it almost every day commuting to work or for fun rides to the park on my road bikes. It fits the body just as described, warms well while disposing heat and keeps your body dry. The main reason I bought it was for the wristies which protects you from wind getting into the jacket; this was important to me because whenever wind gets into the jacket your body disposes heat faster which can cause your muscles cramp and drop your body power in seconds.
Never tried it while extreme raining but it easily managed with mild drops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, highly recommened, 18 July 2014
Great product, highly recommened, but dont buy M size if you are tall 180+ cm, like me.. it was small for my chest and paunch..

The short sleeve jersey I have is also little small, but transfer baselayer is perfect for me in size M.... I have 98cm chest.

Pearl Izumi Men's Pro Softshell 180 Jacket