5.0 out of 5 stars Totally bonkers!
Just brilliant because it's so bad!!!! We all need more laughs in this current climate of doom and gloom. Ha Ha!!!!
Published 8 months ago by Mr Andrew De Brugge

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Larry Blamire film
Published on 12 July 2011 by Bruce Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally bonkers!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Trail of the Screaming Forehead (Director's Cut) [DVD] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 23 July 2013
A. Griffiths "Adrian" (London) - See all my reviews
Trail of the Screaming Forehead is (I think) the 4th movie from the
mind of Larry Blamire, and it's subject matter is the most eccentric
yet. Basically it apes the B movies from the 1950's yet again, with the
Blamire twist of more than one strand of plot happening at the same
time. So this time we see a female scientist tampering with nature -
she's trying to prove that human intelligence is housed in the forehead
not the brain, while at the same time, as fate would have it, alien
foreheads from another galaxy are invading and taking over the minds
and bodies of unsuspecting humans!

The familiar cast from previous movies all return again, and not only
that, they come back in this movie (See what I did there?). By now
you'll have your favourites, for me it's Alison Martin, who is
absolutely hysterical once again this time as the loopy librarian, and
Jennifer Blaire, who again looks amazing, plus she's a very good
actress and singer so I am surprised she's not seen more often. But all
of the cast are great and play everything to perfection.

If anything lets the film down it's the plot, which hinges on anything
associated with the forehead, so unless you find this concept funny in
it's purest abstract form, you might find parts of the film
bewildering. I mean, there's only so much laughter that can be
extracted from the subject of foreheads! But they make a very brave
attempt. There's also a slight shift in the parody aspect, as there are
no more bad special effects, these have all been replaced by adequate
special effects, so the humour comes from the script which is littered
with just as many of the trademark stilted funny lines as before, in
fact this time it feels like EVERY line of dialogue has something silly
planted in it, so there's much fun to be had just by listening. I'm
amazed that the cast manage to say some of them without getting them
wrong.

If you've seen the Lost Skeleton movies and would like more, then this
delivers, but for newcomers to this niche genre, I wouldn't start with
Screaming Forehead, as it's just too plain odd to grab you as quickly
as the previous three Blamire epics. Worth seeing though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must see from Blamire, 16 Aug 2014
I really liked Blamire's dark house romp so it is surprising it was so long before i bought his other three films. But I did. I watched this first and really enjoyed it. The combination of the script and performances is excellent. I particularly enjoyed Fay Masterson and really she should be better known. And yes Blamire should too...

4.0 out of 5 stars Blamire - an auteur to cherish, 31 Oct 2013
So far, the american Larry Blamire has completed five features, achieving in my opinion an admirable and likable body of work, beginning with the well-received Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra (2001). Of the four I have managed to see, each has the distinctive style of its writer-director-actor: genial and humane humour, consistently amusing parody of older genres, allied with use of an increasingly familiar stock company - all of whom seem to be enjoying themselves as much as director and audience.

Blamire writes, directs and frequently acts in his own films, his careful scripts reveling in non-sequiturs and deliberate longueurs whilst eschewing coarse dialogue. The surreal Trail Of The Screaming Forehead stands the most apart from its fellows I have seen, being made in colour, perhaps more expressly silly, with increased special effects work and the inclusion of special guest players (Dick Miller and Kevin McCarthy). Perhaps because of that, whilst still very amusing, it seems a little less characteristic and considered. However I have to report that after seeing it again lately I chuckled just as much as the first time - something which is entirely in line with those who revisit Blamire's films, which have a quiet quality all of their own and which never grow stale - which is ironic, as they constantly reference dated genres.

I think Blamire is an auteur to treasure, one who gives the art of parody back its name and quality - especially after the dismal, bigger-budgeted attempts of the likes of Jason Friedberg and the Wayans, directors who seem to have no affection for the films they imitate and always aim for the obvious. Their films are, arguably, hardly films at all - merely narrative clothes pegs on which to hang cheap laughs, slapdash and vulgar in equal measure, where Blamire is neither.

Speaking for myself, a sure-fire indication of a good parody is my willingness to revisit the work when the original joke has been seen and gone; this is true of most of Blamire's films, which grow more amusing and endearing upon re-acquaintance. And while the film types Blamire affectionately references have typically long since left our screen, I think his own work set around them remains fresh and original.

Lost Skeleton was the first I discovered and still has a special place in my affections; but there's not much between it and Dark And Stormy Night - the finest ensemble piece in Blamire's work. Only The Lost Skeleton Returns Again I think a slight disappointment - even though it too has its moments, if only because inevitably there's a sense of deja vu in any sequel of this sort while the narrative flow seems a little forced. (I hope to rent a copy of Johnny Slade's Greatest Hits (UK: Meet The Mobsters) soon, as that undoubtedly adds another dimension to Blamire's output albeit one far more commercial.)

Although the liking, or not, of any film is always a matter of taste, I would recommend a discovery of Blamire's small but extremely likeable oeuvre, filled with charming nonsense, endearing featured players, and quotable moments of dialogue, to anyone. In a world of CGI, bloated superstar egos and coarse humour passing as wit this all comes a pleasant discovery.

All of of the films I have seen and enjoyed have been with excellent picture quality and this current title is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 23 July 2013
The best fun/horror movie I have ever seen. The characters are all "caricatures" and the dialogue is so full of cheese that it is brilliant as well as being edible!

5.0 out of 5 stars B movie magic, 15 April 2012
This film epitomizes the things that I love about B movies. The bad dialogue, the bad editing and the all too obviously bad acting. With some outstandingly fabulous lines this film will have you with its rib tickling humour. Well worth the watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Larry Blamire film, 12 July 2011
Bruce Dawson (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting to see this film for a very long time, and now that I've seen it I know why Larry Blamire really doesn't want it released in the US. It's not a bad film, it's just ok. The story kind of wanders around and then ends. All of the Blamire cast and crew are here in force, but from what I've read it's not the version that Larry wanted to see released, this "director's cut" is the same that has been playing on IFC. Note: if you are reading this in the US you will need a "region free" DVD player to watch it. For the rest of you, stick to the Skeleton or Dark and Stormy Night movies.

Trail of the Screaming Forehead (Director's Cut) [DVD]