5.0 out of 5 stars Easy A3 Printing!
I bought this printer from Amazon as soon as it was available - this seemed a very reasonable price to allow me to produce A3 prints.
It duly arrived (earlier than advised)taken out of the packaging, wired up...and found to be faulty. However I returned it on a Tuesday to Amazon and a replacement arrived on the Friday, so great service from Amazon!
Anyway I...
Published on 17 May 2011 by Iain McArthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive to run
My Canon i865 packed it in last year, and I used this as an excuse to get a shiny shiny A3 printer. The print quality of the Canon Pixma iX6550 is, as expected, wonderful, and the fact that it prints pretty much anything up to A3 size with minimum faffage makes my life a lot easier. However, the printing cost is utterly ridonculous, due to the fact that the cartridges...
Published 19 months ago by Carmen Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy A3 Printing!, 17 May 2011
Iain McArthur (Dundee UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iX6550 upto A3+ Colour Photo Printer 9600¹ x 2400 dpi (Personal Computers)
Anyway I wanted a photo printer that would simply, well, print. I didn't need a scanner, fax, copier or wi-fi connectivity. And this fits the bill; it prints..and even A3 prints come out faster than I would have anticipated.
I took the precaution of buying some dedicated Canon glossy paper as it always seems to work better than cheaper generic brands and the results I've had so far are really first class!
Frankly most of my photos are printed in A4 format but if you do want/need A3 prints either regularly or more infrequently, this is a good cost-effective printer and you can't really go far wrong with Canon products.
Some time ago my company bought an A3 printer for our office at a price of over £500 and although not an expert, I see no discernible difference in the quality of prints this more expensive printer produces, compared with the iX6550.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning A3 Prints on canvas paper, 28 Jun 2011
Having just retired my Epson Photo Ex A3 printer which had given superb reliable service, I looked long and hard for a quality replacement. I read all the reviews and despite my loyalty to Epson in the past, (I also own an Epson Stylus sx525WD, which is a quality photo printer up to A4), I decided to listen to the reviews and purchase the Canon Pixma ix6550. The results all round are worthy of a SIX STAR rating. I use canvas paper a lot for A3 photo printing, these results are stunning and look like works of art rather than photo prints, with colours faithfully reproduced. The ink usage is also pleasing it is far more economic than my other printers and replacements more reasonably priced. If your are looking for an A3 printer look no further, at this price it's a snip!

4.0 out of 5 stars IX6550 works fine, 3 Dec 2013
I have read several comments regarding the print quality from the IX6550 I used to get the same thing when people used Durst enlargers.
Calibrate your screen if you don't have a top flight PC display (it helps to get the colour balance right).
The IX6550 is made to a budget (£148 in my case), a bit flimsy on the case build side but unless you intend to drop it on the floor it does the job.
No wifi no pic bridge? well I was after a A3 printer for my images all the other bits are just extra expense which I don't use on my A4 printer so not needed.
Running cost? I have heard so much about ink quality it makes my head swim. I have been using off the web tanks for 3 years with no problems at all either with the colour rendition or the print head, currently I pay £28 for 10 tanks which is 2 sets so its not that dear to run Paper? generic Ilford manufactured gloss A3 100 280grm sheets £30.
As with all printers if all you do is plug and play the IX6550 will only turn out what it gets in & what Canon deem as normal, which with all canon printers is slightly calm on the colours but a little tweak (and I mean a little)on the image lightening will punch the prints into vivid Fuji chrome levels if that's what you want.
Overall the IX6550 is a good budget home A3 printer I have produced A3 exhibition Photos & never had a comment about the print quality its all about getting the settings right and not just expecting the printer to do it all.
one last thing if you are on a budget consider a CISS kit (continuous Ink Supply System) 100ml per colour fed from external tanks via a ribbon line £30-£60 as opposed to using internal 10ml tanks this reduces your ink costs to around 5p-10p per A3 print

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma iX6550, 26 Sep 2012
Make no mistake, this is a great printer. As others have said, to get better A3+ prints you will have to spend at least twice as much.

However, as with most of these lower-medium cost Canon inkjets, you pay through the nose for the Canon genuine ink cartridges with a full set in most stores costing around £50. Shop around and you can bring the price down to under £40.

Using the genuine Canon cartridges supplied with the printer, I printed off five A3 photos at standard picture quality and half a dozen A3 images on plain paper (copies of 1911 census returns). The prints appeared dark and contrasty compared to my photos viewed on screen, but colour balance was pretty good and it was easy to adjust the results to near perfection using Adobe Lightroom to create a preset which I can use prior to printing. HOWEVER....already some of the ink levels had dropped to near half, and I could tell at this early stage the way this was heading...... potentially burning a hole in my pocket and hence only four stars for this product review.

Looking to the longer term, I have purchased a CISS (continuous ink supply system) for this printer and having used them regularly for a fortnight the combination is a five-star knockout. Whilst not directly relevant to the performance of the iX6550, I'd say it's an option to consider if you're planning on doing more than a handful of large prints per month, although it probably invalidates the Canon guarantee. Others of a fiscally-frugal but less adventurous nature may choose to use compatible cartridges, a lot cheaper than the Canon originals, although these too may invalidate the guarantee and may require some adjustment to colour balance etc.

Summary - a great printer for the money, but rather expensive running costs on genuine Canon ink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Mar 2013
S. Ahmad (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Canon iX6550 A3 printer in 2011 (not from Amazon) for £152 and have no complaints about it. I have a Canon iP4700 A4 printer for everyday use & for printing A4 photos and use this bigger printer only for A3 photos. I print a handful of A3 photos every few months & on occasion the (A3) printer has been left unused for 3-4 months. When I've finished using the printers, I always switch them off; I only use Canon inks and Canon photo papers - 'Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss SG-201' and 'Matte Photo Paper MP-101' in A4 & A3 sizes. And I've never had any problems with the nozzles drying out, or incorrect colours or smudging or lines or any other problem. I've never ever 'calibrated' a printer / monitor as the colours printed out are virtually identical to those on the screen. Colours are quite natural, only skies are sometimes a rather intense blue.

I belong to a local photographic society, entering my prints for competitions, and they compare favourably with everyone else's prints - and one print has won a prize. The proof of the pudding will come in April, when the society holds its annual (public) exhibition & the photos are for sale.

With regard to 'gloss / piano black' finishes showing fingermarks or attracting dust, I cover the printers with a cloth when not in use. Problem solved.

With regard to the cost of inkjet printing, you will probably recall that in the 1970s & 1980s, enlargements of 'snaps' were prohibitively expensive - a 10" x 8" Cibachrome colour print (smaller than A4) was £5.00, and only very rich people could afford that. Photographic film & development were also expensive and most ordinary folk could only afford to take a few dozen photos a year - usually on their holidays. Clearly, the advent of digital photography has enabled the masses to own a camera, and even inkjet printing is now within their (financial) reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 13 May 2012
Tomas Jankowski (uk) - See all my reviews
I Purchased the printer just under a week ago and so far, after printing about 300 full color a3 sheets it works great. The re manufactured inks work great and reduce the printing costs by about 80%. Cannot fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great A3 printer for photographers, 24 Sep 2012
Dr. G. N. Hone (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
I picked this printer after about 7 years of satisfactory use from a smaller Canon. When the little one started showing its age, I went for the big one. Not so big really, the footprint is very acceptable (keen photographers can think in terms of a standard 50 x 40 competition mount), and it fitted the space available. I wanted a four colour system - and this printer has five. The droplet size is half that of the one it replaced.

So far, so good. The installation process was tedious, but the instructions were very clear and straightforward. The Canon software puts a set of icons on the screen that CANNOT be moved anywhere else, so there we a few minutes of un-necessary work shifting the ones that I already had positioned there. This is not covered in the manual, and clearing the right side of the screen for an inch wide and four inches up, before installing, would be good.

Now for printing: this thing is quiet (not silent, but quiet) and acceptably fast. Paper handling is good - drop the paper in and adjust the guides to fit; simple and effective. The first A4 print came out way too dark, and with a reddish tone. It took a little manipulation of the various settings to get an acceptable print. Before running A3 through it, I needed about five or six proofs to get things right - it was less to do with the colours and more to do with the brightness. The end result was worth it. The first A3 print was put on one side, but the next three were mounted and handed in for the next club competition - two in colour, and one monochrome. Yes, it really is that good. The blacks come out as solid black, fine detail is there, and I can control how it looks. Would I recommend it? The answer is a straight YES.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma IX6550 A3+ printer, 6 Aug 2011
I've been using my new printer for several weeks and am generally very pleased with it.

Firstly, it's compact for its size and nicely designed. All the internal parts of the printer are well protected from dust when not in use and its external surface is easy to wipe clean (unlike my previous Canon printer). Instructions for the printer set up are clear and easy to follow and everything in the box was securely packaged. A complete set of 5 ink cartridges is supplied but there's no USB cable.

Standard print quality is very good. Colour rendition is accurate, text looks crisp and the printer is fast. Haven't tested the photo quality of the printer yet but if the standard print is anything to go by it should, hopefully, be equally good.

My only criticism is that the printer is very noisy and takes a while to 'warm up'. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it - my previous Canon printer was just as noisy and I got used to it. It's just something to bear in mind if you're easily irritated or impatient by nature!

Something else to bear in mind is that the inks are more expensive for this printer than for a standard 4 ink A4 printer. I've recently had to buy a new set and the cheapest cost about £18 more than my previous printer's cartridges. You can get third party inks but these can, apparently, damage the printer if they're not good quality. If you do a lot of colour printing the cartridges don't last very long so expect to have to replace them fairly regularly!

Overall though a really good printer at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and highly recommended, 12 Jun 2011
This is very cheap for an A3+ printer.
I have only had it a few days - it replaces an 8-year old Epson Photo 1290.

My old Epson is legendary for picture quality but notorious for blocked nozzles and constant need to clean. I couldn't stand it anymore.

I can't comment on reliability yet but I am very optimistic about this Canon.

What I *can* say is that the quality is superb, borderless printing works beautifully, the "super fine" nature of the printing is certainly as advertised (I certainly can't see any ink dots) and it is VERY fast, even printing A3 in high quality mode.

The colour reproduction is very faithful (more so than Epson). If there is one difference between this and my old Epson I would say that the blacks are not *quite* as solid as Epson black... but for the speed and ease of use of this Canon I would never go back, and I will probably get one for the office to do posters and borderless brochure prints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon PIXMA iX6550 A3+ Printer, 21 Jun 2011
This competitively priced A3+ printer delivers the quality of picture that I expect from a Canon Photo Printer. Having printed close to 500 photographs of various format it appears to be very economical with the usage of ink. It delivers pictures fairly quickly and although not inaudible is relatively quiet in operation.