5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - and everyone can use it!
My old Canon printer bit the dust a month or two ago after a long and trouble free life. I needed a printer that everyone in the house could use - without coming into my studio and unplugging mine - so I plumped for this one.
Normally I just buy the cheapest printer, but this time I'm glad I spent a little more to get this brilliant piece of gear.
It is a...
Published on 13 July 2011 by Amazoniac

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced but only average performance
I have given the PIXMA MX420 about two months to settle in before writing this review.

Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Archbold Jake

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - and everyone can use it!, 13 July 2011
Amazoniac (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX420 All-In-One Wi-Fi Colour Photo Print (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax) (Personal Computers)
It is a doddle to set up (I have BT vision wireless) and we have 1 Mac and 3 PCs in the house all happily sending stuff to this printer with no issues or problems.
I would advise you to read the destructions and also to install the software on the CD to the first computer you come to - as this will ensure that everything else is smooth.
On subsequent computers you just go to the printer list, select it and install The Mac just saw it all by itself and loaded up the drivers by itself.
The print quality is very good indeed, and it also doubles as a fax machine, copier and scanner - plus there is a card slot at the front to print from all those memory cards you have been hoarding!
Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer, 21 July 2011
A. Russell (UK) - See all my reviews
Printer received today, already completed a few prints including black and white and photo printing onto glossy paper.

The printer itself is a really neat little device, all of its external trays etc fold into itself so it can be completely self contained. Nice piano black finish with very sci-fi blue LEDs. LCD screen is small but displays everything clearly.

Setup onto a wireless LAN was quick and painless. Power cable was a little short, so we will need an extension cable to sort that I think. but it was installed onto two PCs using the supplied disc without any real drama.

Black and white printing was fast, very accurate and the blacks certainly appeared a 'true' black.

Photo printing, fantastic colour reproduction, reasonably quick, lovely finish. The only issue with this was the borderless printing which seemed to mess up the dimensions (cropping the bottom a little, still had a border on the sides). I imagine that I could fix this with a little tweaking though, so its probably me and not the printer at fault here.

This was printed at an excellent quality without even having to align the print heads!

Altogether an excellent printer, well worth the money! lets see how economical the cartridges are now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Experience, 2 Jan 2012
The Canon Pixma MX420 All-IN-ONE is excatly what it say on the box but beware the WI-FI setup is NOT for the faint hearted. The print quality is excellent. This printer doesn't support Wi-Fi and LAN connections at the same time so beware when you first try to get the setup working, either the one or the other. For this prise you get a lot more for what you expect. Print cartridge 510 nad 511 more that enough for the home use and they don't break the bank.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced but only average performance, 27 Jan 2012
Archbold Jake "Archie" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I have previously had two Epson printers (the latter of the 2 being an all-in-one) which have given excellent print quality and output, let down only by the rather eccentric print head system (both frustrating and very expensive in terms of cost of print cartridges and paying for repairs due to blockages in the print heads). My HP printers have been functional and efficient but without great print quality.

Consequently I thought I would give the Canon a try. (I still have a Canon portable printer from many years ago, and still use it when on the move). Like my Epson and HP, the all-in-one element has a document feed so that in addition to the use of the flat bed for scanning, longer documents can be put into the feed and left to get on with it.

The Canon as a printer is fine to look at and, in the main, has a solid feel to it. I found absolutely no problems in set-up and installation (XP Pro SP3) and thus full marks for that.

I have not bothered with the fax set up as I very rarely use fax and have a fax-phone for that purpose. Likewise, most people who have fax also have email, or access to it, where print quality is much superior and is in colour. Thus no comments on installation or use of fax.

The print speed of the Canon is very slightly on the slow side, but as a plus is quiet - important when printers sit next to me in my home office. The print quality is very adequate for letters and documents, but to my mind is dull with a colour caste, and not really acceptable for photo-printing save for 'snaps'.

Scanning is frankly very poor. The quality of the scanned image is good, but the scanner itself and the scanning process is quite slow. Worse, the user is given next to no control over the scan itself, whether as to scan quality (dpi), colour/greyscale or B and W. There seem to be no multi-TIFs or pdfs and the system is set up in such a way as to cause the user maximum aggravation. Review and editing of scanned pictures does not seem to be available. This was one area in which the Epson triumphed. In truth, the scanning software bundled with the Canon is totally inadequate and I am now considering setting up my old dedicated scanner.

Overall, a reasonable printer let down by some inadequacies and particularly disappointing if you do any quantity of scanning.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good product, 30 Dec 2011
Fantastic item. Does exactly what it says on the box. I bought this item specifically for the ADF scanning facility to scan multiple pages to PDF. Printing quality is very good. Can't go wrong with a product like this for this price.

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, 12 Aug 2011
Saucy (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
My printer arrived yesterday. First of all, it took me about 4 hours to set it up, which is surprising because I've previously had HPs and Lexmarks that were simple and intuitive.

After I activated the wireless connection, which worked for printing, I was unable to scan wirelessly. I couldn't find anything in the manual that came with it or online, so I used the USB cable. It did then scan, but it's not wireless.

This printer is very noisy compared to my previous printers. It seems to take a lot of time and make a lot of noise taking paper out of the feed tray. A definite "chug" compared to the whirr of my previous printers. The noise level is important as I work in a small home office. I always have printers on a small table by my desk; this one moves around so much it pulled the power cable out twice while printing, something which has never happened before.

I may be able to get it to scan wirelessly by doing some more research, but I run a small business and didn't want to spend more time. However, the noise level is a real issue and based on that I don't think it is a big improvement over my previous cheaper printers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, 13 Jan 2013
T A Moody (solihull, west midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although not the model I ordered (the MX420 was not available) the one I received (the MX515) is to all intents and purposes identical in every way. Although I have not done any extensive colour prints yet I am very impressed with its performance and features particularly the automatic document feeder which is great when scanning multiple documents. The black and white prints are excellent. Refills are not particularly cheap but if it achieves the quantity advised I can live with that

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits Me Fine, 6 Jun 2012
So far i'm loving this printer its not the quietest printer but certainly 10,000 times better then the Lexmark printer that recently got launched out of the window

The Canon is easy to set up took me all of 5 minutes including setting up the wireless printing, ink is reasonably cheap compared to other companies to the canon ink is half the price of my flying Lexmark ink

Whilst its not a cheap printer its worth the extra money seems well built and easy to use, i made the mistake of buying cheap all in one printer before that gave me nothing but headaches and expensive ink

If you don't buy this do your research and check the ink costs for me canon and brother kept coming up on everyone recommendation list

4.0 out of 5 stars a Great Printer, 24 Feb 2012
Mr. Christopher Haines (London) - See all my reviews
First class product, better made than other brands. Quality of colour print excellent. Also easy to set up. Instructions the only problem -not clear at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great piece of equipment, highly recommended, 6 Feb 2012
After having used HP printers for the last 10 years and recently they all gave up after a short period of time, I bought this Canon MX420.
Better performance, better price, better service. Easy to use and not difficult to install. Now I don't know why I haven't use a Canon printer before.
I can only recommend this printer!!