5.0 out of 5 stars Everything AND the kitchen sink, 5 April 2011
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stars Aligned (MP3 Download)
If you try and judge this album based on the 30 second excerpts offered by Amazon then you've no chance. Each song goes through at least three or four phases alternating prog, metal, balladry and folk in a cacophonous collection, alleviated by calmer, lighter moments. Very reminiscent of early "heavy" Yes with some Zeppelinesque and King Crimsony touches this still has the stamp of modern progressive music, challenging yet tuneful. Just about every musical instrument ever invented sounds like it gets a run out here and whilst I'm happy to give this 5 stars I am happy to accept that this may not be to everyone's taste. Suffice to say you won't be playing this as background music at a dinner party.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everybody!, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
I too bought this after a great review in a certain Rock magazine. They also gave away a free sampler CD which had "Gloria" on it, which I loved, as it sounded a little different to the normal fodder.

However, this track is not really indicative of the rest of the CD! As others have said, it is a massively eclectic mixture of a huge range of styles, all held together with fantastic harmonies. The keyboards tend to most prominent, and the time signatures are NOT what Frank Zappa called "a pedestrian beat", so if you are after AOR with a standard 4/4 drum beat, then maybe this ain't for you.

It does take some getting used to but, it is a very good, different and challenging album. Worth exploring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy of the last 12 months, 19 May 2011
J. Devall "Floydian" (Leigh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
I heard about these guys from the rock media and thought they were just another hyped band from the continent, I was intrigued by the comparisons to Yes, Led Zeppelin etc and listened to a couple of songs on you tube. To say this does not them justice is an understatement.

This album is, as some have said, eclectic and has varying rhythms, time signatures but what a blend. I am not enough of a wordsmith to give how I feel bout this CD justice. I cannot get enough of it, it is by far the best CD I have bought in over 12 months. Whilst some of the subject matter is dark I find the whole thing a great listen and I always feel better from listening to it.

Anyone who likes prog, alternative rock with a pop sensibility will love this and I thoroughly recommend it. The only fault I can give is it should have been longer but like all the best things in life the pleasure is in the wanting.

Buy!,

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy, drive; it's sublime and wonderful!, 12 April 2011
Ben Bottle (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
I read Big Jim's review and he really has nailed this. It is the meaning of the word eclectic!
The combination of styles is considerable, a bit of everything and full of drive and energy.
I could waste a lot of time making a list of comparisons and would agree with Big Jims but add several more - it's rock, it's poppy, it's avant-garde, it's folksy; it's heavy.
The amazing thing is - it works so well; these guys have crafted a truly amazing album.
The vocals are really good - lots of rich melodies and harmonies, while the instrumentation is, at times, wonderfully sublime. There is gentility and power by turn.
Like BJ, I'd feel hesitant about recommending it, he is quite right; the "samples" do not do it justice.
I am thoroughly enjoying this; I took a leap of faith and it REALLY paid off and that is all I can suggest - taking a leap of faith. I honestly do not know how helpful this review is; it may not make sense, but for me it's 5 big stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something just a little bit different., 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
Atmospheric, rocky, proggyish, melodic, Nordic based sing alongable music.
Even my safe pop listening wife and children likes it!!!!
Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, bombastic & melodic - deserves to be huge!, 21 April 2011
D. Jeary "Plutonic" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stars Aligned (Audio CD)
I bought this after a well-known rock magazine gave the album a rarely-awarded but thoroughly deserved 9 out of 10. Their sound is an electrifying mix of melody, bombast, atmospherics and glorious harmonies, with nods to the past and yet managing to sound utterly cutting-edge. The overall effect is `Muse meets the Beach Boys' and it's incredibly uplifting, even though lyrically it's often quite dark in tone.

I agree with the other reviewers in that the album may be too eclectic for some, but if you're a fan of intelligent, modern, accessible prog (with a pop sensibility) then you won't be fazed by songs that change tack half way through or use instruments other than - or more accurately, in addition to - guitars/keyboards/drums.

I can see why the brothers are big stars in their native Finland; now it's time for the rest of the world to sit up and take note! Off to buy their first two albums now......

Stars Aligned
Stars Aligned by Von Hertzen Brothers (Audio CD - 2011)