5.0 out of 5 stars He has done it again, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
Following the release of Bingo! I was lucky enough to see the concert at The Royal Albert Hall - terrific. This album continues in the same vein with covers of old blues numbers. As always the band are tight and the guitar playing is flawless. Steve's comments about each of the songs provide a useful historical note. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foot tappingly good!, 24 April 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
Although a very familiar choice of blues songs are covered here Steve is on excellent form throughout, putting down some great solos, that sound so reminiscent of his heyday. Some real foot tappin' numbers here - personal favorite 'No More Doggin' ' Only reservation (as mentioned in some reviews of 'Bingo') is other vocalist Sonny Charles. Sorry, I just wanna hear Steve, (although he does get the majority of leads), his voice is still fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars BLUES FUN, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
I'm writing this because I've benefitted so much from other folks' opinions down the years: I hope someone feels the same about this.

I started with Steve Miller back in 1968, with CHILDREN OF THE FUTURE and continued uber-enthusiastically later that same year with SAILOR (and the timeless 'Song For Our Ancestors'). Then came BRAVE NEW WORLD (with McCartney on 'My Dark Hour'), YOUR SAVING GRACE (with its extended 'Hey Jude'-style fade-out chorus, and NUMBER FIVE (who could forget 'Going To The Country').

In the summer of '69, my friend Paul and I spent three weeks in the US -- Cuyahoga Falls, OH -- where we stayed with the family of an American girlfriend (long story . . . but take a bow, Martha Alice *****) and haunted record stores the length and breadth of the state looking for new stuff to take home to Yorkshire and amaze our friends. Despite our already having the album, both Paul and I bought second copies of CHILDREN OF THE FUTURE because of its gatefold sleeve (we still have them, plus duplicate US copies of SAILOR and BRAVE NEW WORLD -- the latter again gatefold -- picked up on the same trip). Ah, what a superb band.

But since then I've kind of cooled off. Sure, I enjoyed 'The Joker' and 'Fly Like An Eagle' and 'Abracadabra' but, somehow, the magic had faded. But then came last year's BINGO. And *then* (just a few weeks ago as I write this on the last day of May 2011) came LET YOUR HAIR DOWN, which, like its predecessor, has become something of a guilty pleasure on the CD player closest to my office. Now don't expect anything revolutionary or revelatory: just be assured that both of these fine albums -- and particularly HAIR -- does exactly what it says on the tin. Miller's voice is as plaintive as ever, sitting astride some of the crispest guitar licks I've heard since Banana's 'Darkness, Darkness' riff on The Youngbloods' ELEPHANT MOUNTAIN or the much-maligned (and unfairly so) Alvin Lee on STONEDHENGE.

Hey, believe me, da blooze hasn't been this much fun since BOOGIE WITH CANNED HEAT. Buy two copies and give one to a friend jaded by (shall we say) more contemporary fare.

Pete Crowther

4.0 out of 5 stars ABRACADABRA!!!! THE MAGIC IS STILL THERE, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
If you have a spare 41.55,then pour out the beers,turn up the CD player to 15 qnd get up and dance,for this is Steve Miller at his blues busting best.
The album proves what a great player Steve is,there are 14 tracks no the album,and they are all up to standard.
The packaging is designed by Storm Thorgusson of Pink Floyd fame,and is excellent,with more than i hint to the artwork that so distinguished floyds covers

The tracks rock'n'roll throughout,and is a credit to Miller and the band,who are
Steve Miller.....Lead guitar and Vocals
Billy Peterson.....Bass and Vocals

GUEST ARTISTS
Michael Caarabello.....Congas and Percussion
Adrian Areas.....Timbales and Percussion

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent record - despite the over-familiar songs..., 3 May 2011
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
This album is very similar to the previous album "Bingo", an album of blues covers but this time for me the songs are all a bit too familiar and overplayed - do we really need another version of "Sweet home Chicago"? I would have preferred a few less well known contemporary songs, such as the Jimmy Vaughn songs on "Bingo" - for me some of the highlights of that album. Also Steve doesn't do a lot with these songs, they are all delivered fairly straight but with that smooth Steve Miller sound.

Having said that this is a really good record, I love all these songs which remind me of the 60s Blues Boom and Steve plays them all wonderfully - numbers like Junior Wells' "Snatch it back and hold it" and Jimmy Reed's "Close together" swing like the clappers. Again for me a whole album of Steve's super smooth vocals and guitar would have been too much and he is again helped out here by Sonny Charles on vocals and the late Norton Buffalo on harp to add a little more grit to the mix. My only other criticism would be that many of the numbers are very short - Billy Boy Arnold's "I ain't got you" = 1 minute 45 seconds, ridiculous! - and many could easily have been extended with a few solos. I can't pick a favourite track as they are all done to the same very high standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bingo one more time !, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
Another absolutely really highly recommended feel good album from Steve "guitar" Miller with a well-chosen selction of great blues numbers in sublime and energetic reinterpretations .

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique Voice and Guitar work, Great !, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
Steve Miller has been around since the dinosaurs, but his voice is Timeless and Ageless. I love this album of Old Blues and Rock tracks, and there are some seriously good guys playing with Steve on this collection, especially the Harp ( Harmonica ) player, WOW, he is brilliant.
Steve's Unique guitar style is still there too, always pulling out a riff that blows me away !
I would have given this album 5 stars, but my only gripe is that he tends to sing too many songs in the same Key here, Why?
After a few listens it can become a bit too repetitive.....for me !
He's had a tendency to disappear from the scene occasionally in the past, so I really do hope that he keeps recording, and writes some new stuff too ! 'Big Old Jet Airliner', 'The Joker', etc. etc. is Classic Rock at it's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Awesome, 16 Oct 2011
Mr. Mike Atkinson "Mike" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
I've listened to Steve Miller since the late sixties, lucky enough to see him once in London in, I think, 1971. Anyway, he's always been a favourite musician of mine.

This album is Steve at his very best. If you like him, buy it. If you like great guitar music, buy it. Whatever, this is a great album. So buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally, 30 Jun 2011
E. L. Veenhoven "jazzyboy" (Driebergen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
With Bingo and this album Steve Miller is back in great form. The songs, the playing, the sound.. it's great.
it's the best thing he did since Fly like an eagle and Book of dreams. Finally, it's been over 30 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Cowboy Moves On, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: Let Your Hair Down (Audio CD)
The Space Cowboy comes of age, and his Strat has never sounded better. Peterson's 5/6-string bass is adequate, but pedestrian and benefits from listening on Sennheisers - but he's still no Gerald Johnson! Harmonica is mellow and never intrusive - like Paul Butterfield at his best.
'Close Together' could be Status Quo or ZZT, and 'Can't be Satisfied' nods to Canned Heat. The tracks featuring vocals by Sonny Charles(the album's weak point) are mercifully few. Sound production is crisp and clean.
Die-hard fans of Miller will enjoy this evolution.

Let Your Hair Down
Let Your Hair Down by Steve Miller Band (Audio CD - 2011)