5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera!
Published on 23 Aug. 2011 by Pete

3.0 out of 5 stars Pentax WG1. The rugged camera that needs protection!.
I bought the WG1 hoping that it would be a worthy successor to an older Pentax model that had served well but eventually died due to repeated exposure to conditions that it was never designed to withstand .
Published on 16 Aug. 2011 by Kevin Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera!, 23 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Pentax Optio WG-1 Digital Camera - PARENT ASIN (Electronics)
I bought this camera to take on holiday to Florida and Disneyland. It turned out to be the best thing I had done. I wanted a camera that could go anywhere,and this was it. It was attached to my wrist all holiday, when we were swimming in the pool, in a river looking for Manatees, and when we were swimming with dolphins, and on an airboat ride when everyone was geting soaked! It was amazing. The underwater shots are pretty good, and it does underwater video as well. That really was a new experience for me, and I couldn't get enough of it. On dry land it is a really good camera, and it has 'face detection' which seems quite accurate. I didn't need to look at the manual as it was all so intuitive and easy to use. My 3 yr old daughter also took some good shots with it! I had already bought a spare battery, and as I used a lot of video, I needed it. I probably used a battery each day. I was going to buy a case for it, but as it's such a robust camera, I probably won't bother. It is very quick to start up, about 2secs by my reckoning. This camera now sits pride of place amongst my Nikon compact and Nikon D70.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pentax WG1. The rugged camera that needs protection!., 16 Aug. 2011
Kevin Dawson "Green Weasel" (Horsham UK) - See all my reviews
The WG1 is certainly a sturdy camera that feels and looks as if it will live up to the claims of robustness under adversity . Its easy to operate and takes good pictures when simply set to auto mode but also has plenty of options for dealing with more specialist subjects and conditions .
It is not perfect though and I question if it is worth the full recommended retail price . Some of its functions seem a little slow to activate and some ,such as the neat illuminated close-up facility drain the battery if over-used .
The one big omission in its specification in my opinion is the lack of a built-in or detachable lens cap. This means that in the adverse conditions that it is supposedly designed for the WG1 really needs to be carried in a case to prevent dirt gathering on the lens between shots which can lead to fumbling in bags and missed photo oppertunities . This goes some way to negating the Pentax WG1's use as a ready for anything action camera .
Overall its not a bad device and thanks to Amazon I was able to take advantage of some heavy discounting which softened the blow of the camera's percieved short-comings .
A lens cap would have certainly earned another star and a half !.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 5 Aug. 2011
I bought this camera at the last minute before going to the Maldives and I have to say its an absolute brilliant piece of kit. My main reason for choosing the camera was its 10m depth waterproofing and toughness. It worked faultlessly despite me sitting on it while on rocks and then scraping it along with my weight on it! The images and depth of image and video types are excellent. It was the perfect underwater and out of water camera for our holiday and the wide angle panoramic shots are amazing, pasting 3 images together.

I don;t normally write reviews, but made the except with this camera because it was excellent. I would recommend this as a tough camera for any holiday let alone underwater pictures and video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, minor issues, 24 Aug. 2011
J. A. Shipman "Al" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
Acquired this as my old casio was past it's best and I needed a waterproof for a sea kayaking holiday. So the first time I got to test it was out on the water. The good news ...it is waterproof and it is easy to use. I'm very pleased with the photographic results. But I do have some issues as follows: The range of photographic options is less than I was used to on my previous casio exslim, and to be honest, they were really useful. Case in point: no obvious option for shooting into the sun. And certainly not enough in the way of night shot options. However my biggest concern is the rear screen. Two problems: It's not as sharp or as distinct as the casio, and so if you are slightly off-angle, it's very hard to see. Secondly, the screen stands proud of the body of the camera, which means it's much easier to scratch or damage. Day one, it picked up a lot of scratches from being strapped to my kayak. Day 2 I put a plastic cover over the screen, and that cover has in turn picked up lots of scratches (but at least I can change that regularly). I can see no excuse for not having a protective surround around the outer edge of the screen, especially since the rest of the cameras has a great robust body. Just to emphasise, tho, much of the HD video and the photo's have proved to be excellent, and I'm very pleased with the results. Five days out in the Hebrides and no waterproofing issues. You'll note I've still given the product four stars. Get in touch if you want to see some examples of the shots I took.
Additional: Some months on and I'd like to add that it does a great job of stitching together multiple photo's to make panerama's. Also: I've got some pretty good results from using the HD video at gigs. The sound is nowt special, but the video quality is rather good, even in relatively low light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, Mediocre Images, 3 Aug. 2011
I bought this as a "go-anywhere" compact for outdoor activities where I did not want to risk (or carry) my SLR gear.

First the good points. It seems very strongly made, quite well designed and easy to hold, even when wet. So far, it has stood up well to various coastal activities, canoeing trips & cycling etc, although I have not yet tried its true underwater capabilities. It has a very good macro mode and the built-in LED macro lights are handy for very close-up shots in low light. It has a huge number of modes & settings, some very useful but probably too many options to allow for quick & intuitive navigation through the menus....I would readily give up several "Smile Detection" modes in exchange for easier control over ISO settings and access to some basic manual settings for aperture & shutter speed.

There is really only one drawback, and that is the poor image quality in most conditions, which sadly is a bit fundamental. To be specific: the dynamic range is very limited, with highlight detail easily getting lost, even with careful metering. There is prominent chromatic aberration, with coloured fringing very obvious around light-toned objects. In pictures with a lot of detail, such as foliage etc., that detail quickly becomes confused and poorly resolved. Finally, the plane glass protecting the lens from the elements means that it is completely unshaded and great care is therefore needed to avoid flare from degrading the image.

It is not all bad news on the image quality front; with care, the macro shots can be excellent and in shady conditions or good indoor light, where high contrast and sources of flare are absent, the camera turns out pretty good results.

I am going to keep the camera because it will be handy to grab record shots in locations where I would not risk more fragile kit but, overall, it is a great design with good construction standards, compromised by very indifferent image quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars impresive camera, 5 July 2011
petr "pepe" (kilkenny ireland) - See all my reviews
This is impresive piece of technology.Have great photography experience and own sony dslr system but for pocket camera -robust,rugged and boomproof camera you can't go wrong.Very impresive macro mode,manual setting and plenty of option for auto modes even for video is ideal as walking around or bike,motorbike camera.Result is realy very nice.Have big hands and compare other cameras this is one of better for working with.Menu is simple and uncomplicated.Beter buy extra battery but Spare is always good for longer trips-and there are not expensive.Botom mout for bike holder is a little dissapointing,is not flat and is to pushed on side of camera.Shake reduction(wr,sr or stabilisator) working well.So,if you wanna good camera for good money such will last =it's very good buy.You will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adventure proof!, 29 Aug. 2011
Pentax Optio WG-1 Digital Camera - Purple (14MP, 10m Water Proof, 1.5m Shock Proof, 5 x Wide Angle Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD. Recently purchased for trip to the French Alps, found photo quality very good for compact camera, video quality very usable without being stunning,( confess, I was a little bit disappointed in the quality, compared to Kodak equivalent, hence 4 stars) however this camera wins on its toughness. Took it paragliding and landed too fast, camera hit the ground and I hit the camera, amazingly, it still works perfectly, I doubt any other camera would have survived the impact intact, wish the same could be said for me!!! That's one tough camera!! (Have not yet tested the waterproofing... am still in plaster!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged and easy to use, 22 Aug. 2011
The Pentax does what it says on the tin, easy to handle, rugged but with the ability to take decent photographs and HD quality video with zoom. Power up is very quick and in full automatic can take decent shots. Loads of options for scene selection. Also has decent optical and digital zoom. The camera has a standard screw mount for tripod mounting and fits easily into your hand for one handing shooting :O). Access to ports, battery and SD Card slot a bit of a fiddle, but then the casing is waterproof so to be expected. LCD screen could be done with some protection from scratches, but plastic protective screens these are available as an extra but not sure if these will come off if the camera is immersed in water. With the karabiner clip, easy to fix on to your jacket for taking that quick shot on the road, on your bike or in your paragliding harness :O)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the outdoor adventurer, 29 Jun. 2011
The Pentax WG-1 does exactly what it says on the tin !!
I used it gorge walking in the Lake District and it survived a couple of jumps of the jetty on Lake Coniston. The picture quality is fantastic, although, when you are in cold water and shaking, the anti shake option doesn't work as well as expected.
I haven't tried it in extremely cold weather yet but will look forward to taking it skiing with me in the near future and snorkeling this summer.
Great buy, not disappointed at all !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Take it in the water !, 2 April 2013
I bought this camera because I wanted something small and rugged. A camera that I would take places that I was too nervous to bring my digital SLR to.

After much deliberation and influenced by the reviews written here, I bought the Optio WG-1.
It has a few little annoying things about it, like the lack or a lens cover, the slowness of the camera to return to ready mode after taking a shot and the very short battery life, but I knew about all these things from the reviews and decided to buy it anyway because what was most important to me was that it be dust and waterproof.

Well let me tell you all now, it is not waterproof, it's not even water resistant !

I took it snorkeling, and when I came out of the water and went to review the pics I had taken, the camera wouldn't work. When I looked, I found water under the battery and card cover, under the cover for the connection sockets and water behind the lens !
After laying the camera out in the sun to dry for a few hours it did eventually come back to life, however when the water on the back of the lens dried, it left three watermarks on the glass which now mar every photo that is taken.

I gave this camera a one star rating, only because I can't give it a no star rating.

Don't waste you hard earned money on this heap of trash.