5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterly evocation of WW2 espionage
Alan Furst's elegantly-written novels about spies in World War II have become must-have acquisitions and Spies of the Balkans was no disappointment.

Published on 18 July 2010 by A Common Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Furst
I have just finished reading Spies of the Balkins by Alan Furst. I did not find it as good as his earlier work.
I also read Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy which I found much more rewarding.
Published on 2 Dec 2010 by bobbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterly evocation of WW2 espionage, 18 July 2010
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)

We find ourselves in Salonika in 1940, with Greece wondering if (when?) the Germans are going to invade. Costa Zannis is a former detective who now handles political cases, mingling with the international cast of characters who have a range of motives for being in the port. The Balkan nations are dividing into those which support the Axis powers and those who's fierce nationalism leads them to plan for guerilla wars in the mountains.

Zannis is an honourable man and agrees to help a German Jewish woman from Berlin who is in the process of setting up a route to smuggle Jews out of Germany eastwards and onto Istanbul. The British get wind of this and approach Zannis, applying pressure on him to smuggle one of their scientists out of France before the Germans get their hands on him.

Furst is a master of what in the world of cinema would be called "noir". The characters, Zannis included, seem alienated from normal life. They inhabit dingy bars, arrange assignations on street corners and have to disappear into the shadows when cars containing their enemies nose into view. They have hopeless love affairs with old-flames before falling for the wife of a notorious gangster. Above all, the filthy game of spying infests their lives with its secrecy, its betrayals and its thorough-going nastiness.

There is so much here - complex intriguing, a cast of well-drawn international characters, huge suspense - at one point Zannis has to go to Paris where his contacts have tried to make him look as normal as possible by going to a restaurant used by Gestapo officers, where things almost go terribly wrong. We visit the home of the German organiser of the escape route, and follow a Jewish couple as they nervously cross the borders of Europe on their way to freedom.

But Furst is far too stylish a write to make this just a "spy novel". Furst depicts the despair of wartime, when the only way to remain intact as a full human being is to give up any hope of surviving and to join forces with those who could lead you to disaster, but at least will allow you to live with some shreds of integrity.

Costas Zannis is a memorable character, who manages to retain a sense of honour although involved with nefarious dealings. He manages to find his way through a maze of conflicting loyalties but finds that with invasion imminent you have to join forces with unlikely partners. He joins a long line of Furst characters torn in different directions yet somehow coming out in one piece to continue (hopefully) their stories on the pages of another book.

Spies of the Balkans is the 11th novel in Alan Furst's "Night Soldiers" series - I've never found a dud among them and I continue to wait for the next with keen anticipation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid Furst Thriller, 11 Jun 2010
A. Ross (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
I've been reading Furst since his first book, and I'm thrilled that he's finally gotten around to setting something in my ancestral homeland (Greece). That said, he does have a very distinctive style that is definitely not to everyone's taste. His narratives tend to unfold in a somewhat fractured way, in vignettes that can sometimes skip large swathes of time and geography. His characters can often have a somewhat detached tone to them, which can make them somewhat less empathetic than your average spy/thriller protagonists. Personally, I feel no one does WWII atmosphere better, and I'm always glad to step back in time to a world that he's captured so wonderfully.

This book revolves around Constantine Zannis, a Greek police detective serving in Salonika (present-day Thessaloniki, historically, Greece's second-largest city). He works for a shadowy high-ranking police patron on "special" cases that involve more discretion and nuance than called for in common crimes. Although in 1940 the war has yet to reach Greece, it's clear that it's only a matter of time before it does, and the city is crawling with Allied and Axis spies. As the war creeps closer and closer to the border, we see him change roles, from policeman to spycatcher to activated reserve officer to Allied agent.

In these roles we first see Zannis get involved in an underground railroad helping Jews escape German-controlled territory into Turkey. This is handled very well, as we see all aspects of the operation, from the German enablers, their SS hunters, the scared couples on trains chugging through the Balkans, the palms that need to be greased at the Turkish border, etc. And when he gets trucked north to serve in a unit along the border, it brings home the human scale of the war in Europe. The biggest storyline involves British agents (which include a former girlfriend) convincing him to go to Paris and bring out a British scientist caught in the occupied city. But what might be the central high stakes premise in another writer's thriller is in Furst's war just another task to be grimly undertaken by a committed and principled man.

The one area in which this book stumbles is in some of Zannis' personal relationships, especially an insipid affair with the stunning wife of a shipping magnate. It comes out of nowhere and does nothing for the story except drag it kicking and screaming into the realm of conventional Hollywood blockbuster ("they found passion amidst the winds of war"). Fortunately, it's just a minor glitch, and there is none of the grand sweep and heft of typical spy thrillers. Furst is more of miniaturist, working in fine detail to create a series of stories that, read together, accrue a heft of their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Furst story, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Paperback)
The characters are so believable.
Those pre war years were really an eye opener in Europe.
I'll be sorry when I've read them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 28 May 2012
My husband insisted I read this book and I am so glad! Not a book I would have chosen from the title, however the characters, setting and plot captivated me from the start right through to the end, which made me smile. I enjoyed Furst's style, readily accessible, not in any way over indulgent. I found the characters well drawn and believable. Looking forward to my next Alan Furst ebook.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Furst, 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
I also read Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy which I found much more rewarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not vintage Furst but still very good, 12 Nov 2010
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
A very enjoyable book. He is great stylist and there are very few wasted words.
However everything is getting a bit too familiar. The hero is always basically the same; the slightly cynical attitude, being a ladies' man, being ultra competent etc. I felt that there could have been more to the plot as well.

However I did enjoy it and I would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Leave them wanting more, 18 July 2010
S. Morris (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
The funny thing about Alan Furst's novels is that they always leave me wanting more. I agree that the major characters can seem a little removed, but that simply whets one's appetite to find out more, in my view. At the end of this novel I was really keen to find out what happens next - to finish the story in a sense. Knowing the author, I'll probably never know and that is what is so intriguing about his novels. One could view it as a reflection of those times. As other reviewers have already commented, nobody catches the approach of WW2 better (I hazard that Irene Nemirovsky is the only equal, but she had the 'advantage' of actually being there in Paris). This was a great book - better than the last two or three - and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than any formal history lesson, 11 July 2010
J. C. Rose (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
The other reviews pretty well say it all. I have read all the Alan Furst books and it is a real treat when a new one is published. I learn so much from each book and find myself looking up additional information on the internet - not just a great read but also a learning experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful characters and a menacing setting, 4 Feb 2011
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Paperback)
Set in Salonika, Greece during the early years of World War 2, this is the story of a police official called Costa Zannis who gets involved in helping Jews to escape from Germany through Greece into Turkey. There are also a number of sub-plots - a couple of which end inconclusively - and a semi-plausible romance. There are times that the narrative feels disjointed or bitsy. Nevertheless the reader's attention is held because the characters are so rich and the setting (both geographically and historically) are so interesting, with an undercurrent of menace throughout. Greece is on the cusp of invasion and tensions are high.

This is my first Alan Furst novel. I thought it was similar in style to Philip Kerr's excellent Bernie Gunther series and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Furst excels, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Spies of the Balkans (Hardcover)
I just had to add my five stars to the rest of the Furst admirers. I think he simply gets better with each book. I read this latest offering over a weekend and was deeply saddened when I realised I would probably have to wait another two years for his next novel. Enjoy Furst..start from the beginning and just enjoy really good writing. He's amongst the very best spy novelists with Le Carre the master and Phillip Kerr now probably slipping just behind Furst.