on 11 December 2012
I purchased this to read over the X-mas holidays, but as soon as It arrived I just had to read it. I guess I should have waited and got the kindle edition. Right from the off this had me hooked. I could not put it down. It was gripping full of corruption and pain. This was well written and I loved every page. I will be reading this one again. Happy to recommend this.
on 24 July 2013
An ugly read in that it details shocking brutality but interesting, balanced insight on how prisoners have to live....disturbing but still a must read - insightful, different if you're in the modd for some blunt reality. Well written, tight and comprehensive, believeable and despite the often awful truths, a good read / can't put it down....seems a balanced, fair appraisal which the reader then decides for themself how they feel about the issues raised. I would certainly want to read this author again even if exposed to awful truths...he works shows compassionate, insight and courage given what she's seen and how tough her access to the prison as a woman must have been...I salute her but don't envy her and if the reader can stand that much reality, then everyone should read her book, either to know what really happens in these island prisons, or hopefully having read the book, to not end up in one as so many seem to do....Squirrel 59 - W 24.7.13
on 31 July 2014
It's an insight of the hell inside Hotel K. It's not just the fact of what's going on in the jail but also it gives an overview about the system corruption and the bribery that manifest every corner of the country. I reckon that this doesn't apply only to Indonesia but most of the third world countries. I recommend this book to everyone who thinks of smuggling any drugs to Indonesia and for tourists who would like to visit this country.
on 11 December 2012
I loved this book, it was both a shocking and compelling read and an eye opener. It had so much in this book it was brilliant. It is certainly a place I would not want to visit! Very well written and easy to get to grips with. The author has done an amazing job and I will be looking for more. This one is definitely worth a read, I am happy to recommend Hotel K.
on 10 August 2013
Couldn't put it down, really easy to read, great characters and stories made only better by the fact they are true tales. Funny how you can't help but feel empathy for these criminals and their predicament, especially with the state of the judiciary system and the cells. A different side to an amazingly beautiful island.
on 26 March 2013
I loved this book from start to finish, I found it shocking, sad yet very funny too. I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes real life gritty stories and true insights into the world's harshest prisons. I also enjoyed " damage done" by Warren fellows but this pipped it for me.
on 15 December 2012
Truly an amazing book! Overall, it was well written, and so intriguing--I could barely put it down. This easy read literally read all day until I finished it! The dichotomous and ironic placement within a tropical paradise, can not begin to describe what lurks inside this literal hell. These nasty, squalid walls have held many intriguing and fascinating inmates from the black monster, a Bali king, and even Gordon Ramsay's brother. However, despite the famous value, the infamous contains tales of sex, drugs, and violence. No one is safe in these cells were the common thief or blue collar crime leads to housing with hardcore killers, thugs, rapists, and gangsters. However, the inmates are not the only corrupt individuals plaguing this environment--the guards organize and help encourage these behaviors. This is truly educational and shocking on multiple levels. I highly recommend this book. I now want to read "Snowing in Bali" by the same author! Find comfort in your easy experience. 5/5 stars!
on 20 April 2013
This is not the type of book I would normally but once I started it I could not put it down. The brutal reality is bought to life vividly and honestly.
I would recommend it to readers who have a drug problem and to anyone boarding a plane.
After reading this I would never return to Bali or anywhere near Indonesia.
I have never been to Australia and now would not ever go there as well.
on 14 June 2013
It was definitely an eye opener into some of the worst living conditions that I could possibly imagine. The book centres around the word 'corruption' in it's entirety. Gory, heart wrenching but I couldn't put it down. Would I recommend this book? The answer is a resounding yes. You will have thoughts about this book months after reading it. OMG!!!
on 24 June 2013
I don't read much but had trouble putting this book down. I have never written a review before but feel compelled after reading this book. It is totally captivating and a real eye opener and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys true crime. Well written, captivating and a great read. My number one best read.