5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING
One of the best and most shocking books I have ever read! Anyone that goes to Indonesia MUST read this book as it paints a true picture of corruption and pain that one should never have to endure!
Published on 27 Nov 2011 by TheDart

2.0 out of 5 stars Some compelling stories, but extremely badly laid out.
Published 9 months ago by Eks

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 27 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell on Earth, 5 Jan 2013
This book tells the story of the Bali's most notorious jail which I like to think about as 'hell on Earth'. Quite ironically, it is located just outside the heavenly Bali beaches and tourist resort. In this book you will find everything that is wrong with this world: murder, drugs, drugs-trafficking, terrorism, addictions, suicide, fatal beating, corruption, sex parties, rape, corruption, depression, madness, malice, AIDS...there is also a story of one of the prisoners hacking someone's head with a machette or one of the prisoners setting another on fire. Human rights are non-existent in Hotel K. The story is told from the prespective of the prisoners who share their tales and reflections with us. I would like to share some of my reflections now too. I believe it is better to be dead than spend the rest of one's life in a jail like this. That - though - might be the point, as the punishment is severe. Sometimes - too severe and almost always unfair.The justice system is corrupted to the core and that explains how a prisoner caught trafficking 400g of heroin gets a death penalty and a richer one caught trafficking couple of kilograms only ten years. Then there is a story of Shapelle - an Australian caught trafficking couple of kilos of marijuana into Indonesia. Just getting acquainted with the facts of her case persuades me of her innocence. Why would you try to traffic drugs worth 20,000 in Australia to Indonesia where you could buy them for 4,000? Her trial was a joke as vital evidence was burnt. Her pleads for fingerprints testing, weight measuring, CCTV observations...went unanswered.
Interestingly enough, a while ago I published a review of 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert. In that review, I wrote that Bali is definetely a place I would like to visit after reading her story. Well, not anymore. And to every friend who wants to go I would give that book to read.There is always a very slight chance that someone could plant drugs into your bag. Given that judges do not look into facts and the only way not to get a long sentence isto throw $ at them - the risk is simply not worth taking.
Last but not least, I do not believe that anyone caught trafficking drugs deserves a life sentence in a place like this.Sure, most of the time it was their choice to traffic those drugs but no human being derserves to spend time there. Ironically enough, Hotel K is the place where you could buy the cheapest heroin and most of the prisoners are addicted or become addicted once in jail. Guards turn the blind eye and in some cases do drugs too. More interestingly, even murderers and rapists walk free sooner than drug traffickers.The country should be ashamed of itself and never before have I been happier to be European.
Don't give this book a miss. There is a good chance you will give Indonesia a miss after reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 Feb 2011
only word i could think of to describe this book..........very well written, you can picture the scenes which i always think is a good thing in a book........it is hard to believe places like this exsist and would be funny if it wasn't so sad.....buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 11 Dec 2012
Hotel K has most certainly got some strange and interesting characters, which at times was sickening and was a real insight into the jail in Bali. It is quite a pacy story and has elements of an action and thriller type book as you learn more and more about what goes on in "Hotel K". I did find it a gripping read and look forward to a new book from the author called "Snowing in Bali".

2.0 out of 5 stars Some compelling stories, but extremely badly laid out., 7 Oct 2013
I've read quite a few of these sort of titles and had high hopes for this after reading some of the positive reviews. However, I felt disappointed after only the first few chapters. The book lurches between seemingly unconnected stories of life inside Kerobokan. As soon as I started to comprehend (or in some cases empathise) with an inmates story or situation, woosh the next chapter moved onto someone else's, then to an unrelated incident, then back to the first story. This made the book feel so disjointed I just found myself losing interest quite quickly.
I found that this baffling layout meant that the author felt the need to re-explain prison concepts continually - a good fifth of the book must just be repeated content explaining roles of inmates or guards, or the cell system etc.
The methods of telling the stories also varied too much. Some are written from the authors view as an observer, with facts gleaned from inmates which in my opinion works well with this sort of literature, and yet some are written present tense, with needless details using what I presume is artistic licence. This makes the author seem like some omnipresent CCTV system. Was she in the prison at this point? Is this an eyewitness account? Or did she get these details from an inmates diary? A frustratingly large amount of questions to muse from what is essentially a documentary in print.
The author has got the backbone of a good book here, with some genuinely interesting stories and insights into this unique prison, however it's just so poorly laid out and edited that I have to say I can't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hotel K: The Shocking Inside Story of Bali's Most Notorious Jail (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from start to finish, I found it shocking, sad yet very funny too. I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes real life gritty stories and true insights into the world's harshest prisons. I also enjoyed " damage done" by Warren fellows but this pipped it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening in places, 11 Dec 2012
Hotel K is a really well written and interesting story that grabbed my attention almost straight away. It is quite funny in places and there was fascinating inmate was 'black monster' who got pregnant to a Scottish inmate through the bars of her cell. This story will appeal to quite a wide audience and is most certainly eye opening in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars shocking, 11 Dec 2012
I loved this book, it was both a shocking and compelling read and an eye opener. It had so much in this book it was brilliant. It is certainly a place I would not want to visit! Very well written and easy to get to grips with. The author has done an amazing job and I will be looking for more. This one is definitely worth a read, I am happy to recommend Hotel K.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into Bali jail, 8 Jan 2013
An interesting read, informative and shocking tales of daily life inside Hotel K. Read if you like true stories. A well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 11 Dec 2012
I purchased this to read over the X-mas holidays, but as soon as It arrived I just had to read it. I guess I should have waited and got the kindle edition. Right from the off this had me hooked. I could not put it down. It was gripping full of corruption and pain. This was well written and I loved every page. I will be reading this one again. Happy to recommend this.