5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful AND Sensible in one package
I ordered the Logitech Z-906 to replace my long-lost Creative Gigaworks 7.1 THX kit (which, by the way, shook its own amplifier board apart), and am very impressed.

Packaging
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by Simon J Stuart

1.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed
After spending ages researching reviews I went for this system only to find after an hour of using it that it stopped working. The input lights light up and it wont work even after resets. I then went on to Logitech's forum and this has been a massive issue with this model since 2011 and Logitech are really not interested in fixing the issue. For this reason I wont be...
Published 6 months ago by Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful AND Sensible in one package, 4 Jan 2012

Packaging
---------
When the speakers arrived from Amazon, they were double-boxed: first in a stiff cardboard box for shipping, and inside that the thinner-gauge (but well-padded) Logitech box containing the kit itself.
A word of warning for those of you whom encounter the same confusion as I: the wires for three of the speakers (front-left, front-right, centre) are tucked inside a protrusion in the cardboard "netting" surrounding the speakers themselves. It took me a moment to figure this out as the rear-left and rear-right wires are visible with the speakers themselves, but the other three are concealed.

The subwoofer itself is self-explainitory, along with the AC cable, and a standard 3x 3.5mm 5.1 input cable for use with PC soundcards.

Inputs
------
There are 6 distinct inputs provided by the Z-906: 1 of them is the 3x 3.5mm "analog" input, there are 2x Optical inputs, at least one SPDIF (Coaxial) input, and multiple twin-AUX (PHONO) inputs... all of which can be connected at the same time, and switched via both "head unit" as well as its remote control.

Remote Control
--------------
The Z-906 comes with a neat remote control, small, with a total of 7 buttons: Power, Input Select, Mute, Level Select (independant volume control for each channel), Vol-, Vol+, and Effect (toggles between 2.1, 4.1 and 5.1 when not using DTS encoding from your audio device or PC).
The remote is (as one would expect) IR, so does require line-of-sight in order to function... though this is to be expected and works from at least as far away as 10 meters based on my own tests.

Surround Speakers
-----------------
The quality of the sound from the satelites (Front, Centre and Rear speakers) is exactly what you'd expect from THX-certified speakers... crystal clear, of very high fidelity, and free of the various types of distortion you get from lesser speakers.
Their construction has a very rugged and well-thought-out quality, and the single cone in each speaker encapsulates both the "Bass Reflex" and "Tweeter" along with the typical Mid-frequency you'd expect from a satelite speaker. This actually makes them look "cool", as well as sounding brilliant.
If you wish to modify the satelites (which I do NOT recommend... why mess with perfection?) you would need a 5mm Hex Key, as opposed to the typical Phillips Screwdriver you may expect.

The front and rear speakers can easily be mounted to stands (which is what I have done with mine)

Subwoofer
---------
The subwoofer on the Z-906 is very interesting, in that it is capped to remove distortion, which you may feel curbs some of the bass at the lowest end. This is actually a GOOD thing, as it addresses an issue I have encountered with a rival speaker system (Creative Gigaworks 7.1 THX) a few years ago where the vibration in the lowest end from the subwoofer literally shook the amplifier board to pieces, destroying the entire kit.
THERE IS PLENTY OF BASS provided by the Z-906! Far more than any sane person would ever want.

The build quality of the subwoofer box (which also encapsulates the amplifier and input panel) is the finest I have encountered for speakers of this type. The box contains a single Bass Port, which (despite what ametures may tell you) is far superior in quality and effect to having multiple Bass Ports.

The subwoofer cone is protected by a CONCAVE metal mesh, which is the first time I've ever encountered such a thing (all other subwoofers I've had have a CONVEX mesh, or no mesh at all). Making the mesh concave is actually very clever, as it prevents denting when moving and repositioning the Subwoofer. Denting would of course be a big problem as it runs the risk of puncturing the subwoofer cone as it vibrates... NOT a problem with the Z-906!

The Head Unit
-------------
The Z-906' Head Unit is fairly attractive compared to others I have seen, with a sleek shape and the use of Orange LEDs (as opposed to the traditional Green).
The Head Unit provides 4 buttons (in order, Left to Right, same definitions as with the Remote): Input Select, Effect, Power, Level Select. Further-more, it provides a nice large dial (the Head Unit's counterpart for Vol- and Vol+ buttons as per the remote).
LEDs indicate the Power State, Input, Decode and Effect selections. A ring of LEDs indicates the volume level, where each LED has 3 levels of brightness as you increase or decrease the volume.
An arranged set of LEDs to the right provide indication of channels (e.g. they indicate when you're adjusting the volume of just the front speakers, or the subwoofer, or the centre channel, or the rear), and also show you whether your audio device (such as a PC or Hi-fi) is outputting in 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 at any given time. This is a very neat feature, and the first time I've seen such a thing.

Recommendations
---------------
I highly recommend running the Z-906 on an Optical cable if your audio device supports it! Failing that, use SPDIF (Coaxial) if available. Digital Input has superior transmission quality to Analog, and Optical in particular is 100% free of "noise" (which copper-based cabling is prone to).

Overall Impression
------------------
The Z-906 is by far the best speaker system of its type I have encountered over the years. It is very simple to set up (shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, most of which is the time it takes to unbox each item, and carefully lay down the cabling for each speaker).
It appears Logitech has applied focus to simplicity, keeping both the remote and the head unit free of "gimmicks" which could serve to confuse more than impress. This is a good thing, as you want Speakers to sound great (and good looks are a plus, certainly provided by the Z-906 in my opinion)... you don't want them to make cups of tea and toast! The Z-906 provides the raw ingredients for an epic surround sound (or even stereo, when playing music) experience.
The pricetag is good (especially when Amazon are selling it on offer) for a system of this calibre.
The RMS rating of the Z-906 is 500W total, however I have measured as high as 550W RMS, which (if you think about it) is more sound than you're paying for (a bonus).

This is a rare review for me, in that I have literally nothing negative to say about the Z-906 (so far, anyway). I was impressed before I even ordered them by their good looks and specification, I am pratically blown away by them as they sit here adourning my entertainment system.

Highly recommended for anyone serious about sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Cinema Sound in a living room, but watch the running costs., 31 Oct 2012
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I use the Z-906 as my prime Surround Sound system carefully arranged around the main TV. The sound is simply amazing regardless of whether it is from the TV, or the DVD or the PC. The connectivity is excellent, and the controls while minimal are sufficient.

The Z-906 is a revelation; it may only be about three times the price of my much less capable previous X-540 surround system but it seems to have ten times the audio quality, and its smooth sound with no apparent holes is very close to being hi-fi apart from a slight lack of extreme top. The previous system was also from Logitech, and it seemed to do the job well enough even if it was not hi-fi, but the hum from the mains transformer became too intrusive, hence the replacement.

At first I was dubious about the lack of tone controls. However the THX specification means that the tonal balance should not need adjustment. Only the sub-woofer needed to be reduced in level because of living in the fireplace behind the screen. On test out in the middle of the floor it was fine at the default setting, but the final hidden location emphasises the bass and the handy little remote control allowed fine tuning of the relative speaker levels to get the balance just right.

The TV has an optical output as well as an analogue headphone output, both of which I connected to the Z-906 because only the headphone output level is controlled by the TV remote - the button-set most in use and always to hand. The optical output from the DVD player also goes to the Z-906. The PC then uses the three 3.5mm jacks.

Having so much connectivity is a luxury, but suddenly feels essential after being in use.

There are various choices on how the sound is routed to the speakers: firstly by selecting from the five possible sources on the box, and then secondly on how it is decoded from stereo or DTS or Dolby, surround analogue or digital, or from the six analogue channels on the mini-jacks; in other words, from any of these five sources into the six loudspeakers. Marvellous; one does not have to think, just listen and enjoy the experience. And then one discovers on the control console that there is yet another stereo input jack and a headphone socket

Most of the time we are listening to the TV, and the way the surround info is extracted from what might otherwise be boring TV sound is amazing. One is actually there, in the midst of the audience/action/car chase/concert/whatever. It sounds real, unlike the previous speakers which also gave a good synthesised surround effect but still felt artificial.

And then if we put a good surround sound disc into the player it all comes alive, even better than the TV. The DTS or Dolby is recognised and decoded automatically into surround without disturbing any settings that might have been made for the stereo signals.

Initially I found that sometimes if we were listening to the Freeview HD AAC 5.1 ITV (mostly actually only stereo) sound via the optical link it was choppy with random breaks, but when I changed the TV's optical output coding to Dolby Digital instead of PCM all the problems vanished, never to return. However, more recently listening to Jules Holland's 'Later Live' on BBC HD AAC 5.1 sent via PCM (ie untouched and not decoded and recoded) the full surround was decoded perfectly by the Z-906, however the recorded and extended repeat was only stereo. So the ITV glitches were maybe a problem with the Samsung TV (which has since had a software update) or ITV.

The wires supplied for the speakers (three at 14ft, two at 25ft) were long enough for all but one rear speaker, and to extend that (soldered and sleeved) I stole two metres from the lead to the centre speaker. The previous system had needed four extensions to be able to hide all the wires.

Power usage on my Z-906 when it is idling measures surprisingly high at about 50W, and even after putting it into standby with the on/off (I/O button) either on the console or on the remote control it still takes about 36W. So when not in use it is well worthwhile to switch it off at the mains. Remember that in UK at today's rates 1W running 24/7 for a year will cost just over a 1 in electricity.

The Az blurb above mentions 'Integrated wall mounts', which actually means a single threaded brass blind hole (1/2" deep) in the back of each of the five small speakers. We need to supply our own screws and brackets to suit the location. The screw thread is a 1/4-20 UNC size, ie 1/4" diameter and 20 threads per inch. These brackets include the correct screws in the kit, and don't obstruct the connector.

I don't normally make a comment on the packaging, but I was impressed by how the components were supplied in the cardboard holders with ergonomically placed finger holes to ensure easy lifting of the heaviest items from the outer carton with no stress on the back. And no polystyrene.

Summary.
As a simple 5.1 surround amplifier that does the job excellently without being burdened by extras such as tuner or player or internet or whatever, this is hard to beat. The only minor negative point is the surprisingly high power consumption when supposedly "Off". The sound is superb, so it is definitely recommended.

Addendum 10th Nov 2012
I've since installed an automatic 'power saver' which switches off the directly associated peripherals including the Z-906 when the TV is put into standby. This will pay for itself in just a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had the Z523. This Blows it out of the Water., 20 Oct 2012
=Satellites=
The satellite speakers are extremely good, especially in comparison to the z523. The sound is amazingly crisp, mid tones are bold and the highs are there when they need to be. They have a great weight to them so you know they are quality stuff. The THX logos give me something to boast about, and they are indeed wall mountable. Cables are very long so logitech want you toput them anywhere! (7.6meter for rear speakers and 4.3 for others) I think.

=Subwoofer=
The second reason why I bought this system. It may be smaller than the z-5500, but it is so powerful that i have to have it on half and the speakers set low down or I make the family angry! It hits notes that are far lower than the Z523 could ever get, and it doesn't sound like it is a seperate speaker, it is even, perfectly balanced with the sound around.

=Control panel=
The control panel is brilliant, I never had a Z5500 control panel myself but I had used one before, it was very good. This one is easy to understand and conviniently switches off the LEDs you don't need when left for more than about two seconds. it can be controlled remotely, including every single feature from the suprisingly small remote! LEDs move depending on how high the volume is, and different LEDs representing different speakers show you what speaker volume you are adjusting and which speakers your chosen effect is putting sound through.

=Effects=
Stereo 3D is amazing on this. I have heard negative points about the one on the low end surrond system, the z506. But htis one makes it truly surround sound. Speakers are dedicated to each part of the music-center seens to be for drums and vocals whilst the outer speakers divide sound equally whilst putting different sounds through different speakers eg. a guitar solo. I don't use 4.1 or 2.1 but they both work well.

=Verdict=
The best upgrade I have ever had, I definately won't be needing new speakers for a while! These are such high quaality speakers, and for 250 you really can't go wrong. Ignore negative reviews from people that don't want change from the Z-5500. This is absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Great Connectivity, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I convinced my parents a few years ago to get the previous generation Z5500 speaker and was blown away by the sheer quality of the sound, but the slight downer was not quite enough connectivity. Well these speakers sound better, address the connectivity issues and come with the addition of some built in sound modes. Personally I rarely get a chance to play these as loud as they go but even on half volume they are loud, clear and just simply epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 1 Sep 2012
Mr. Thomas J. Billington (Manchester. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I bought this with the intention of using it for my Gaming PC and Xbox 360, and sometimes my TV.

I use both of the digital optical cable inputs to connect my PC and Xbox into it. The package also includes the 6 channel PC sound card cables for people who want to use them. I have mainly used the system so far for my PC and the sound quality to me sounds brilliant, obviously not the best compared to ever other system, but so far I have no complaints.
I have decided to upgrade the sound on my PC by buying a dedicated internal sound card just to get that little bit extra out of the system and my PC.
After running tests using the Windows sound properties, the bass seems quite powerful. I can stand outside, quite a considerable distance away and hear the Thunder effect from the sub. and the test sounds from the surround speakers as well. (Not too sure my neighbours will approve on that last bit though)

The control unit is very easy to use and I prefer the orange lights, than the standard blue you find on other devices.

The system as a whole is also very nice aesthetically. In my opinion they look nicer than the Z-5500, but that is what I think, some people would prefer the silver and black. I never owned a Z-5500 but I don't feel I am missing anything by not having an LCD display.

I was struggling to decide between buying this, or one of the Sony home cinemas with Blu Ray for a similar price, both had an equal amount of ups and downs for me, I all ready have a blu ray drive in my PC, but having everything connected via HDMI into the Sony system then out via a single HDMI to my TV seems a lot neater, I do like to have some amount of cable cable organisation.

Very pleased I purchased this Logitech set in the end. I am having a lot of fun with it, and for the price I bought it for (219) I feel like it was a good deal for me to use it mainly for Gaming and TV/Film.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy these speakers again!, 7 Feb 2012
A. Dyer (Aberdeenshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
After reading reviews of this product, I decided to replace my old 5.1 PC speakers which were resonating at particular notes with these nice new speakers.

The quality of the music is simply fantastic. I've spent three times this price on my living room home cinema, and the quality of the bass in particular far exceeds the muddy bass from my living room system.

Both connectivity and ease of use score highly. You have two optical inputs, spdif coax, stereo and analogue 5.1 inputs, so this system should cater for your needs for a good number of years to come. That said, HDMI & Displayport inputs were not included in that count.

User interface is by means of a very simple control console which also has the ability to extend stereo music into virtual surround sound mode. One gripe is that the unit does not automatically switch on when I switch on at the socket (or when an audio input becomes active) but that is just a very minor complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
Firstly, I would like to keep the review short, I do not want it to end up like an essay. lol

I have previously owned the Z-5500 which in my opinion are legendary. Thus, i was in 2 minds whether i should go with the upgrade. As the z5500 are perfect as every 1 who owns them would agree. But i am a new gadget enthusiast and i decided to take the plunge. The z906 similar power of 500watts to the z5500's and the new mature look, and techy design was too appealing. However once i connected the Logitech Z906's up (Recommend TOSlink cable). I was blown away with the sheer quality of the sound. Every single vocal can be heard, and every single beat, accompanied by the perfectly balanced bass notes. Almost Crisp & HD like. I can honestly say the sound is much better than the Z-5500. Its much clearer and consistent and almost studio like, very in depth, punchy & decent detail reproduction. Unlike the Z5500 the bass was too much, whereby affecting the vocals of the music. However with every new gadget there is pro's & cons.

Logitech Z-906 - PROS

1.) Excellent sound quality from speakers & Sub woofer, crisp & clear, without any distortion.
2.) Smaller space saving sub woofer @ 8'' but still packs an impressive 165watts of power.
3.) Powerful 500watts of muscle, capable of shaking windows in a mid size living room.
3.) Mature looks and Simple to use audio control pod.
4.) 3D surround sound effect is extremely impressive, when playing on games PS3, XBOX. Covers every detail.
5.) Excellent build quality - very robust and compact. Good quality and heavy feel to the speakers & sub.
6.) Very Powerful Sound. THX & Dolby certified.

Logitech Z-906 - CONS

1.) No HDMI inputs or Dolby True HD/DTS HD Master Audio decoding for those BluRay movies.
2.) No display on the control pod - Unlike the Z-5500
3.) lack of buttons on the wireless remote, step backwards from Z5500.
4.) No visual control of the sub woofer & surround, game modes on the pod - unlike the z5500.
5.) Orange LED's - I prefer Blue.
6.) Watching Movies, there is a slight echo - Unlike the Z5500 they had clear sound when on movie mode. However the z906 for gaming & music is better.

If like me you had previously, owned Logitech Z5500 these will take some getting used to. But after i have tested and compared the both, the sound on the z-906 is much better. I believe i have made the right choice for the future, and if your considering buying these. Then do not hesitate, they are worth every penny. I can assure you. They will put a big smile on your face every time you switch these on. I can say the Legendary Z5500 can now retire, because we have a new Legend in the making - Logitech Z906.

My rating on the speakers 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound...just one thing, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I love the sound of this system...the only small thing I wish I could do was to be able to lower the bass....mind you I love the bass but I am the only one and keep getting told to turn it down. Have to pick my moments when I can really crank it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Z906, 26 Oct 2011
LTFrost - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
These speakers would give systems twice the price a run for their money, I bought these to replace an old Acoustic Solutions system and I can't believe I put up with them for that long. The Z906 is very well built and feels like studio grade systems.

I currently have them running from my Xbox and Pc using optical, and the Z906 works perfectly from both. The Xbox sound fantastic it really does make the experience amazing and gives you the edge on multiplayer. The systems makes driving games feel like you are in the car and the bass make you feel the bumps on the road, but you could argue that you might be better off with a pair of high end headphones but if you like to pump sound out these are for you!

Even playing music through the system is a fantastic experience, the different effects levels allows you to change the levels to whatever you desire, wither that be pumping music out of 4.1, 2.1 or convert it to 3D they all sound fantastic, and the little aux in port on the controller box is very handy! But you could argue if you just want these for music then buy a 2.1 Hi Fi with a flat amp but yet again the z906 would give any system a run for their money.

Movies are fantastic and are very near cinema level, the bass isn't in your face and every speaker is very well balanced and simply knock your socks off.

A lot of people stay that the bass isn't as strong as it predecessor however this system has the best sub on a 5.1 in the range, I have a 2.1 Hi Fi with a 12inch sub and the z906's 8inch blows it out of the water. The bass is refined and perfectly balanced. The system can be turned up full without problems and is still as clear as half way. The decoder gets rid of any pops or crackles from your source which the Xbox is renowned for.

The only down side is that the speaker (for their size) are quite heavy, so be careful were you mount them, I believe the mounts need to be imperial bolts and the rear speaker cable length isn't as long as I had thought but that's not a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase yet!, 12 Nov 2011
Joel Kelly (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I was a little bit skeptical about buying these after a couple of reviews saying how they're not quite good enough, or how the bass is not clear enough etc. But I just want to say, do NOT listen to these reviews, these speakers are absolutely fantastic!

They channel the different audio to each speaker extremely well, and even at extremely loud volumes have very crisp and clear sound.

The subwoofer is ridiculously bass-y, in fact at full blow it's managed to knock pictures off the wall and ornaments off of shelves, it's absolutely idiotically loud. The only downside to this is that with certain - extremely bass-y - songs, it will suddenly dim the whole sound from the speakers to try and stop the extra bass blowing it out, which is a little bit weird. But that only happens if you're within 3 from full volume, so it's not a very common effect considering you'll almost never want this at full volume!

I've used these at a house party recently, and I must say - WOW - we may well have been in a night club, the sound filled the (rather large) room filled with people very well, so much so, that with my back doors open you could hear it extremely clearly 30m down the garden!

Main downside? My neighbours now despise me even more than previously (although the banging on the walls when a song stops, could be them asking for me to play more or play it louder).

Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers