I use the Z-906 as my prime Surround Sound system carefully arranged around the main TV. The sound is simply amazing regardless of whether it is from the TV, or the DVD or the PC. The connectivity is excellent, and the controls while minimal are sufficient.

Published on 31 Oct. 2012 by R. F. Stevens

2.0 out of 5 stars thought it sounded great till it broke down
I bought this from Amazon around Dec 2012,thought it sounded great till it broke down , not a light or wimper a couple of months ago.Changed connection to digital optic,worked fine till today,no lights...dead. Seen so many reviews saying how good this was..pity I missed the ones saying it was unreliable and was prone to breaking down.Amazon still selling this product...
Published 7 months ago by R. Hoffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Cinema Sound in a living room, but watch the running costs., 31 Oct. 2012
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)

The Z-906 is a revelation; it may only be about three times the price of my much less capable previous X-540 surround system but it seems to have ten times the audio quality, and its smooth sound with no apparent holes is very close to being hi-fi apart from a slight lack of extreme top. The previous system was also from Logitech, and it seemed to do the job well enough even if it was not hi-fi, but the hum from the mains transformer became too intrusive, hence the replacement.

At first I was dubious about the lack of tone controls. However the THX specification means that the tonal balance should not need adjustment. Only the sub-woofer needed to be reduced in level because of living in the fireplace behind the screen. On test out in the middle of the floor it was fine at the default setting, but the final hidden location emphasises the bass and the handy little remote control allowed fine tuning of the relative speaker levels to get the balance just right.

The TV has an optical output as well as an analogue headphone output, both of which I connected to the Z-906 because only the headphone output level is controlled by the TV remote - the button-set most in use and always to hand. The optical output from the DVD player also goes to the Z-906. The PC then uses the three 3.5mm jacks.

Having so much connectivity is a luxury, but suddenly feels essential after being in use.

There are various choices on how the sound is routed to the speakers: firstly by selecting from the five possible sources on the box, and then secondly on how it is decoded from stereo or DTS or Dolby, surround analogue or digital, or from the six analogue channels on the mini-jacks; in other words, from any of these five sources into the six loudspeakers. Marvellous; one does not have to think, just listen and enjoy the experience. And then one discovers on the control console that there is yet another stereo input jack and a headphone socket

Most of the time we are listening to the TV, and the way the surround info is extracted from what might otherwise be boring TV sound is amazing. One is actually there, in the midst of the audience/action/car chase/concert/whatever. It sounds real, unlike the previous speakers which also gave a good synthesised surround effect but still felt artificial.

And then if we put a good surround sound disc into the player it all comes alive, even better than the TV. The DTS or Dolby is recognised and decoded automatically into surround without disturbing any settings that might have been made for the stereo signals.

Initially I found that sometimes if we were listening to the Freeview HD AAC 5.1 ITV (mostly actually only stereo) sound via the optical link it was choppy with random breaks, but when I changed the TV's optical output coding to Dolby Digital instead of PCM all the problems vanished, never to return. However, more recently listening to Jules Holland's 'Later Live' on BBC HD AAC 5.1 sent via PCM (ie untouched and not decoded and recoded) the full surround was decoded perfectly by the Z-906, however the recorded and extended repeat was only stereo. So the ITV glitches were maybe a problem with the Samsung TV (which has since had a software update) or ITV.

The wires supplied for the speakers (three at 14ft, two at 25ft) were long enough for all but one rear speaker, and to extend that (soldered and sleeved) I stole two metres from the lead to the centre speaker. The previous system had needed four extensions to be able to hide all the wires.

Power usage on my Z-906 when it is idling measures surprisingly high at about 50W, and even after putting it into standby with the on/off (I/O button) either on the console or on the remote control it still takes about 36W. So when not in use it is well worthwhile to switch it off at the mains. Remember that in UK at today's rates 1W running 24/7 for a year will cost just over a £1 in electricity.

The Az blurb above mentions 'Integrated wall mounts', which actually means a single threaded brass blind hole (1/2" deep) in the back of each of the five small speakers. We need to supply our own screws and brackets to suit the location. The screw thread is a 1/4-20 UNC size, ie 1/4" diameter and 20 threads per inch. These brackets include the correct screws in the kit, and don't obstruct the connector.

I don't normally make a comment on the packaging, but I was impressed by how the components were supplied in the cardboard holders with ergonomically placed finger holes to ensure easy lifting of the heaviest items from the outer carton with no stress on the back. And no polystyrene.

Summary.
As a simple 5.1 surround amplifier that does the job excellently without being burdened by extras such as tuner or player or internet or whatever, this is hard to beat. The only minor negative point is the surprisingly high power consumption when supposedly "Off". The sound is superb, so it is definitely recommended.

Addendum 10th Nov 2012
I've since installed an automatic 'power saver' which switches off the directly associated peripherals including the Z-906 when the TV is put into standby. This will pay for itself in just a few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful AND Sensible in one package, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I ordered the Logitech Z-906 to replace my long-lost Creative Gigaworks 7.1 THX kit (which, by the way, shook its own amplifier board apart), and am very impressed.

Packaging
---------
When the speakers arrived from Amazon, they were double-boxed: first in a stiff cardboard box for shipping, and inside that the thinner-gauge (but well-padded) Logitech box containing the kit itself.
A word of warning for those of you whom encounter the same confusion as I: the wires for three of the speakers (front-left, front-right, centre) are tucked inside a protrusion in the cardboard "netting" surrounding the speakers themselves. It took me a moment to figure this out as the rear-left and rear-right wires are visible with the speakers themselves, but the other three are concealed.

The subwoofer itself is self-explainitory, along with the AC cable, and a standard 3x 3.5mm 5.1 input cable for use with PC soundcards.

Inputs
------
There are 6 distinct inputs provided by the Z-906: 1 of them is the 3x 3.5mm "analog" input, there are 2x Optical inputs, at least one SPDIF (Coaxial) input, and multiple twin-AUX (PHONO) inputs... all of which can be connected at the same time, and switched via both "head unit" as well as its remote control.

Remote Control
--------------
The Z-906 comes with a neat remote control, small, with a total of 7 buttons: Power, Input Select, Mute, Level Select (independant volume control for each channel), Vol-, Vol+, and Effect (toggles between 2.1, 4.1 and 5.1 when not using DTS encoding from your audio device or PC).
The remote is (as one would expect) IR, so does require line-of-sight in order to function... though this is to be expected and works from at least as far away as 10 meters based on my own tests.

Surround Speakers
-----------------
The quality of the sound from the satelites (Front, Centre and Rear speakers) is exactly what you'd expect from THX-certified speakers... crystal clear, of very high fidelity, and free of the various types of distortion you get from lesser speakers.
Their construction has a very rugged and well-thought-out quality, and the single cone in each speaker encapsulates both the "Bass Reflex" and "Tweeter" along with the typical Mid-frequency you'd expect from a satelite speaker. This actually makes them look "cool", as well as sounding brilliant.
If you wish to modify the satelites (which I do NOT recommend... why mess with perfection?) you would need a 5mm Hex Key, as opposed to the typical Phillips Screwdriver you may expect.

The front and rear speakers can easily be mounted to stands (which is what I have done with mine)

Subwoofer
---------
The subwoofer on the Z-906 is very interesting, in that it is capped to remove distortion, which you may feel curbs some of the bass at the lowest end. This is actually a GOOD thing, as it addresses an issue I have encountered with a rival speaker system (Creative Gigaworks 7.1 THX) a few years ago where the vibration in the lowest end from the subwoofer literally shook the amplifier board to pieces, destroying the entire kit.
THERE IS PLENTY OF BASS provided by the Z-906! Far more than any sane person would ever want.

The build quality of the subwoofer box (which also encapsulates the amplifier and input panel) is the finest I have encountered for speakers of this type. The box contains a single Bass Port, which (despite what ametures may tell you) is far superior in quality and effect to having multiple Bass Ports.

The subwoofer cone is protected by a CONCAVE metal mesh, which is the first time I've ever encountered such a thing (all other subwoofers I've had have a CONVEX mesh, or no mesh at all). Making the mesh concave is actually very clever, as it prevents denting when moving and repositioning the Subwoofer. Denting would of course be a big problem as it runs the risk of puncturing the subwoofer cone as it vibrates... NOT a problem with the Z-906!

The Head Unit
-------------
The Z-906' Head Unit is fairly attractive compared to others I have seen, with a sleek shape and the use of Orange LEDs (as opposed to the traditional Green).
The Head Unit provides 4 buttons (in order, Left to Right, same definitions as with the Remote): Input Select, Effect, Power, Level Select. Further-more, it provides a nice large dial (the Head Unit's counterpart for Vol- and Vol+ buttons as per the remote).
LEDs indicate the Power State, Input, Decode and Effect selections. A ring of LEDs indicates the volume level, where each LED has 3 levels of brightness as you increase or decrease the volume.
An arranged set of LEDs to the right provide indication of channels (e.g. they indicate when you're adjusting the volume of just the front speakers, or the subwoofer, or the centre channel, or the rear), and also show you whether your audio device (such as a PC or Hi-fi) is outputting in 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 at any given time. This is a very neat feature, and the first time I've seen such a thing.

Recommendations
---------------
I highly recommend running the Z-906 on an Optical cable if your audio device supports it! Failing that, use SPDIF (Coaxial) if available. Digital Input has superior transmission quality to Analog, and Optical in particular is 100% free of "noise" (which copper-based cabling is prone to).

Overall Impression
------------------
The Z-906 is by far the best speaker system of its type I have encountered over the years. It is very simple to set up (shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, most of which is the time it takes to unbox each item, and carefully lay down the cabling for each speaker).
It appears Logitech has applied focus to simplicity, keeping both the remote and the head unit free of "gimmicks" which could serve to confuse more than impress. This is a good thing, as you want Speakers to sound great (and good looks are a plus, certainly provided by the Z-906 in my opinion)... you don't want them to make cups of tea and toast! The Z-906 provides the raw ingredients for an epic surround sound (or even stereo, when playing music) experience.
The pricetag is good (especially when Amazon are selling it on offer) for a system of this calibre.
The RMS rating of the Z-906 is 500W total, however I have measured as high as 550W RMS, which (if you think about it) is more sound than you're paying for (a bonus).

This is a rare review for me, in that I have literally nothing negative to say about the Z-906 (so far, anyway). I was impressed before I even ordered them by their good looks and specification, I am pratically blown away by them as they sit here adourning my entertainment system.

Highly recommended for anyone serious about sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars I had the Z523. This Blows it out of the Water., 20 Oct. 2012
=Satellites=
The satellite speakers are extremely good, especially in comparison to the z523. The sound is amazingly crisp, mid tones are bold and the highs are there when they need to be. They have a great weight to them so you know they are quality stuff. The THX logos give me something to boast about, and they are indeed wall mountable. Cables are very long so logitech want you toput them anywhere! (7.6meter for rear speakers and 4.3 for others) I think.

=Subwoofer=
The second reason why I bought this system. It may be smaller than the z-5500, but it is so powerful that i have to have it on half and the speakers set low down or I make the family angry! It hits notes that are far lower than the Z523 could ever get, and it doesn't sound like it is a seperate speaker, it is even, perfectly balanced with the sound around.

=Control panel=
The control panel is brilliant, I never had a Z5500 control panel myself but I had used one before, it was very good. This one is easy to understand and conviniently switches off the LEDs you don't need when left for more than about two seconds. it can be controlled remotely, including every single feature from the suprisingly small remote! LEDs move depending on how high the volume is, and different LEDs representing different speakers show you what speaker volume you are adjusting and which speakers your chosen effect is putting sound through.

=Effects=
Stereo 3D is amazing on this. I have heard negative points about the one on the low end surrond system, the z506. But htis one makes it truly surround sound. Speakers are dedicated to each part of the music-center seens to be for drums and vocals whilst the outer speakers divide sound equally whilst putting different sounds through different speakers eg. a guitar solo. I don't use 4.1 or 2.1 but they both work well.

=Verdict=
The best upgrade I have ever had, I definately won't be needing new speakers for a while! These are such high quaality speakers, and for £250 you really can't go wrong. Ignore negative reviews from people that don't want change from the Z-5500. This is absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars PlayStation 4/XBox One Setup., 29 Dec. 2013
Wow wow wow!

I purchased these speakers not long after Sony's PlayStation 4 was announced on February 21st, 2013. I bought these speakers specifically for my gaming consoles rather than a PC set up. Before these I did own the Z506, and the jump between both of them is extremely significant! and so is the price! And that's why I took 1 star away. But to tell you the truth these speakers are worth every single penny! I used them on my PS3 for a few months and I just couldn't believe how mean they sounded, playing games like Battlefield and The Last of US or Call of Duty made it feel so much more intense. The shear power you get from them is MORE than you could want, especially when you have the Bass turned all the way up you can actually feel it pounding of your chest as if you were in a nightclub and I'm not even exaggerating at the slightest. When the PS4 came out I couldn't wait to run these speakers straight from my PS4 Via optical cable, where as the PS3 was a little more complicated. But when using the optical cable with the PS4 you can notice the difference in sound, MUCH more crisper. I also use them with my Xbox One via optical cable are there are 2 inputs on the back of the sub.

If you're looking for a pair of very decent speakers for you new console, or either for a mini home theatre system, I would 100% recommend these bad boys. I'm so chuffed I got these. Was thinking of a sound bar instead at the time, but I'm very happy with my decision. If you have any question about connecting up with any console please ask, here to help.

Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 1 Sept. 2012
Mr. Thomas J. Billington (Manchester. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I bought this with the intention of using it for my Gaming PC and Xbox 360, and sometimes my TV.

I use both of the digital optical cable inputs to connect my PC and Xbox into it. The package also includes the 6 channel PC sound card cables for people who want to use them. I have mainly used the system so far for my PC and the sound quality to me sounds brilliant, obviously not the best compared to ever other system, but so far I have no complaints.
I have decided to upgrade the sound on my PC by buying a dedicated internal sound card just to get that little bit extra out of the system and my PC.
After running tests using the Windows sound properties, the bass seems quite powerful. I can stand outside, quite a considerable distance away and hear the Thunder effect from the sub. and the test sounds from the surround speakers as well. (Not too sure my neighbours will approve on that last bit though)

The control unit is very easy to use and I prefer the orange lights, than the standard blue you find on other devices.

The system as a whole is also very nice aesthetically. In my opinion they look nicer than the Z-5500, but that is what I think, some people would prefer the silver and black. I never owned a Z-5500 but I don't feel I am missing anything by not having an LCD display.

I was struggling to decide between buying this, or one of the Sony home cinemas with Blu Ray for a similar price, both had an equal amount of ups and downs for me, I all ready have a blu ray drive in my PC, but having everything connected via HDMI into the Sony system then out via a single HDMI to my TV seems a lot neater, I do like to have some amount of cable cable organisation.

Very pleased I purchased this Logitech set in the end. I am having a lot of fun with it, and for the price I bought it for (£219) I feel like it was a good deal for me to use it mainly for Gaming and TV/Film.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy these speakers again!, 7 Feb. 2012
A. Dyer (Aberdeenshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
After reading reviews of this product, I decided to replace my old 5.1 PC speakers which were resonating at particular notes with these nice new speakers.

The quality of the music is simply fantastic. I've spent three times this price on my living room home cinema, and the quality of the bass in particular far exceeds the muddy bass from my living room system.

Both connectivity and ease of use score highly. You have two optical inputs, spdif coax, stereo and analogue 5.1 inputs, so this system should cater for your needs for a good number of years to come. That said, HDMI & Displayport inputs were not included in that count.

User interface is by means of a very simple control console which also has the ability to extend stereo music into virtual surround sound mode. One gripe is that the unit does not automatically switch on when I switch on at the socket (or when an audio input becomes active) but that is just a very minor complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Speakers, 12 Aug. 2014
Mr. G. Fleming (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
Well this is a bit a difficult product to review.
First thing I must say as I watched the price go up and down, do not pay more than £270 if you can help it.
Just hang on a bit, the price will usually come back down again.
Now regarding the speakers there are none better or none that come even close to these, in this price range.
Yes they are not perfect, maybe a bit long in the tooth and a bit old fashioned perhaps ( no HDMI for instance) but for sheer quality nothing in this price range can compare, that I am aware of.
It is as if everyone in this field (including Logitech) lost interest in producing speakers of this high quality.
Ok I know they are very powerful but even at lower levels the sound is just fabulous and very versatile.
Ideal for a home cinema system or even just a bedroom with lots of inputs /output, including two optical and lots of others both digital and analogue. I bought some Sennheiser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone to go with them ...perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Great Connectivity, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I convinced my parents a few years ago to get the previous generation Z5500 speaker and was blown away by the sheer quality of the sound, but the slight downer was not quite enough connectivity. Well these speakers sound better, address the connectivity issues and come with the addition of some built in sound modes. Personally I rarely get a chance to play these as loud as they go but even on half volume they are loud, clear and just simply epic.

5.0 out of 5 stars could not ask for more, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I have to say I wasn't quite sure about the RMS power output, especially from the subwoofer. having come from a background of amps and subwoofers in my old cars the 500w rms figure didnt jump out at me to be fair but the logitech z906 was the only surround sound system within my budget - and I thought it would match my pc and monitor, so I bit the bullet and shelled out for it.

wiring everything up was straight forward and the centre console is a nice touch, it couldn't be easier to use, and you can adjust the setting across the room just by looking at the leds so no squinty eyes needed. Everything feels extremely well built, each of these speakers push out 60+w rms so there arent going to be cheap drivers or cones inside them. for their size they are extremely weighty

Now I'll move onto the only reason i wrote this review - the sound quality and volume. Firstly, the clarity is second to none even at the top end of the volume. as for distortion - there is none, whatever volume you have it at. Onto volume, I would never have thought a 165w 8inch subwoofer would rattle my house, I once took the volume all the way to the top and to be fair it was mental. I knew the bass was resonating across the joists into next doors house so i turned it down, only for me to realise the youtube clip i had playing was on 20% volume so I think the only way im going to find out what this set up can really do is hope everyone in the cul de sac goes on holiday at the same time - if that happens I will update this review. Do not let this system sit there gathering dust and using it just for movies. this thing will work a treat at house parties...just make sure you warn the neighbours first.

enjoy

(I have this surround sound hooked up to a xonar d2 soundcard via optical cable)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase yet!, 12 Nov. 2011
Joel Kelly (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (Accessory)
I was a little bit skeptical about buying these after a couple of reviews saying how they're not quite good enough, or how the bass is not clear enough etc. But I just want to say, do NOT listen to these reviews, these speakers are absolutely fantastic!

They channel the different audio to each speaker extremely well, and even at extremely loud volumes have very crisp and clear sound.

The subwoofer is ridiculously bass-y, in fact at full blow it's managed to knock pictures off the wall and ornaments off of shelves, it's absolutely idiotically loud. The only downside to this is that with certain - extremely bass-y - songs, it will suddenly dim the whole sound from the speakers to try and stop the extra bass blowing it out, which is a little bit weird. But that only happens if you're within 3 from full volume, so it's not a very common effect considering you'll almost never want this at full volume!

I've used these at a house party recently, and I must say - WOW - we may well have been in a night club, the sound filled the (rather large) room filled with people very well, so much so, that with my back doors open you could hear it extremely clearly 30m down the garden!

Main downside? My neighbours now despise me even more than previously (although the banging on the walls when a song stops, could be them asking for me to play more or play it louder).

Logitech Z-906 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers