5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use, fast machine with great results.
Firstly I admit it, on most occasions I'm a tea drinker - I've never really been a big coffee drinker as I've never found any variety I really like and previous machines I've used such as a Bosch Tassimo never really produced anything of merit.

Published on 27 Jun 2012 by A. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaked... can't recommend this model
It's a nice enough box, but, like another reviewer here, my machine leak - as in dropped a cup of water on the bench in a few minutes. Machine did not need to be on, and it is not from the o-ring by the water tank inside... I'd say a bad design.
Published on 22 July 2011 by Timothy Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use, fast machine with great results., 27 Jun 2012
A. Williams (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nespresso by Krups XN300640 Pixie Coffee Machine - Electric Red (Kitchen & Home)

I didn't fancy all of the efforts the more expensive specialist machines seem to involve, plus I'm easily swayed by some nice packaging and reviews from my friends so I splashed out 105 on the Krups Nespresso Pixie - in a dashing shade of red - with an extra bonus at the time of 40 cash back to spend in the Nespresso Club. Not a bad deal.

Unusually for an Amazon delivery, this Nespresso didn't arrive in a generic brown box, it arrived in its retail box with my delivery note attached to the side. The box was fairly small but was well packaged. Easy to open, easy to delve into, the Pixie was wrapped carefully and came with a binder of sorts, with a help guide, quick reference menu for the various coffee types, an instruction manual, and quite conveniently a sample package containing one of each of the sixteen `Grand Cru'.

The machine was very straightforward to set up, a simple case of unpack the machine and place it on the kitchen counter, slot the perspex spent coffee pod container into the drip tray, then slide this into the main body of the Pixie. I filled up the water container that sits on the back of the unit - which takes 0.7 litres which isn't masses - but does offer enough for a few cups of coffee, especially if you're fond of espresso! A few quick cycles of the machine washed everything through and I was then ready to test the machine in earnest.

Deciding what coffee you want is the first step that's actually difficult. Do I want a lungo (big), or an espresso (one quick swig and you're done) or a ristretto (smaller than an espresso, a few sips and you're finished). If I want the lungo, do I then want milk? Decisions decisions!

When you've settled on the style of coffee you're in the mood to partake in, then the next choice is what strength do you want? The various pods are measured in strength from 2 to 10, and in the guide book each has a quick description of the type of taste you can expect and a guide on how it should be consumed (i.e some pods are suitable for espresso or cappuccino, or some as lungo but not cappuccino, and some suitable in any format!)

You can always just pick your favourite colour once you've got things sussed out, but that can lead to some surprises initially until you know which colours you enjoy! Making a coffee is as easy as popping your cup under the spout, lifting the arm to let you drop the pod into the slot, then lowering the arm which slots the pod into place. Once you're set you either hit the espresso or the lungo button and wait for the few seconds it takes to pour. (Running through this process first without a pod in place is a good idea as it warms up your cup - but it's up to you if you don't mind the cooler coffee a cold cup might cause). Once the coffee has finished pouring and the machine cuts back into it's standby mode, you just lift the arm back up which causes the pod to drop through into the perspex box below. This little box holds around ten pods, but it's a good idea to keep an eye on the drip tray as this can often fill up after 4 - 5 uses I've found.

Despite not being a huge coffee drinker I'm glad that I've bought into the Nespresso way of life, it offers a wide selection of types of coffee across different strengths and tastes and does so in a stylish and pleasing way.

The only main issue I have is replacement coffee, the only way to get this is via the Nespresso online store (or the few and far Nespresso high street shops which are mainly in central London), which while quick and simple to order from does mean you need to plan ahead slightly, and also means any chance of shopping around for cheaper prices is very limited.

Beyond your initial taster pack of 16 pods, each individual one costs roughly 0.30, or you can buy a welcome pack on your first order of 150 or 250 pods, and choose a free accessory - I chose the wooden display case which sits alongside the Pixie and allows for even easier picking each morning. There's a 15 minimum order from the store, but they do offer free recycling bags for the aluminium pods and free pick up on your next order.

The literature that comes with the machine, and the further details you get when you place your first order again welcomes you into the Nespresso way of life. Coffee is talked about much like fine wines, with mentions of fruity tones, bitterness, satiny qualities and more. There's even a guide for how to get the most out of each cup, from the aroma to the texture and inevitably the taste.

Overall I'd really recommend this unit, it's small, stylish and fairly quiet in use. From being switched off to being ready to use takes mere moments, probably less than 30 seconds, and if it's already in standby less then 10 seconds from dropping the pod in to seeing the coffee pour. The various pods taste quite different and you're sure to gain a group of favourites which ongoing are easy to order individually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 16 Dec 2011
Where to start. The Nespresso Pixie by far the best kitchen "Gadget" I have ever bought. I have had coffee machines in the past including Tassimo and Dulce Gusto and the coffee produced has been disspointing to say the least. The quality of the Coffee produced by Nespresso is as good as any I have had from swanky coffee shops (including in Italy!).

Setting the Pixie up is a doddle. From unpacking to being able to enjoy your first cup of coffee will take less than 5 minutes. Operating the device could be done by a 3 year old (if it was safe to let them near hot liquids!). Pop your Nespresso pod in the slot, place your cup under the spout and press either the Espresso or Lungo button and have your tasty cup of coffe produced in a few seconds.

The used pods are stored in the machine (up to ten) so no need to tidy up straight away - just proceed to enjoying a lovely cup of coffee.

You can adjust the volume of coffee produced simply by pressing and holding the relevant button until you have reached the desired fill level. This volume is then remembered by the machine for future use. The standard settings are fine for espresso cups and small coffee cups and operate on a one touch and leave basis.

The range of coffee types produced by Nespresso is quite mind boggling, with 16 different types as standard and special editions released occasionally. The machine came with a stater pack which had one of each of the standard blends. A first from my experiences too, is that even the decaff varieties taste good.

The Pixie is nice and compact so does not take up half your kitchen worktop. There is also an integrated cable tidy to hide away any excess power lead.

Any downsides - only one. The machine is quite noisy, but it is a small price to pay as the noise is the pump which creates the high pressure needed to make the best espresso.

Buy this machine. You will not be dissapointed if you like coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso Pixie, 27 Dec 2011
Excellent coffee and good design. I like the automatic power-off switch in case you forget. Nice small footprint. It gets four stars because it's noisy but that's a small price to pay for such great coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should I have bought the other one?, 17 July 2012
I contemplated this item for a long time, then decided just to go for it. I think it's great and it is really small so looks smashing on the bunker not taking up much room. However, I thought I would point a couple of things out that would have made me buy the Citiz instead.

If I want to use a large mug/glass I can't use just any mug as the flip up part at the bottom is a bit awkward. Sometimes it doesn't fit properly and you have to hold it under whilst it dispenses your coffee. The Citiz seems to have a more practical stand.

The other think worth mentioning is the mechanism for opening/closing it. With the Pixie, the dispensing tube pushes out. This means that if your mug is in place it can push it over, and also means that if you use a small esspresso cup, when the dispensing tube moves, it can dribble down the side of the mug. On the Citiz, the front doesn't move when you move the leve, instead an opening in the top opens without anything else being effected.

Hope this helps a bit for anyone trying to decide between the two. The only other comment would be please, please buy your coffee direct from Nespresso. They have a great service and are much cheaper than others selling it on third hand online or selling inferior coffee in compatable capsules, which are just as, if not more, expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent machine but still not design perfect, 1 Jun 2011
The Nespresso system is an excellent way to get an excellent cup of coffee.
Great tasting, no mess and very fast.
This is better than previous standard machines, warms up faster and has a smaller footprint, and auto off.
You can also move the cup support so that you can use a larger "mug" type cup.
I don't always want an espresso and I therefore top up a larger cup and then add cold milk.
Sometimes using two capsules for the extra strength.I couldn't do that with previous machines easily.
Top tip - if you want a really hot coffee use hot water in the tank and also warm your cup - makes a hell of a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, 12 July 2011
Bought this for my husband as he loves a proper coffee but doesn't like messing with filters/cafetieres and all the cleaning up etc. This is a brilliant little machine - doesn't take up much space on the worktop, warms up really quickly and produces lovely coffee really quickly. We have set it for a larger mug and it works really well with lots of people commenting on quality of the coffee. We order the capsules straight from Nespresso and they arrive within a couple of days. They are now also offering a recycling service for the capsules.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Nespresso machine, 30 Jun 2011
Robert Evans (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace an ageing Krups Essenza model and I couldn't be more pleased.

Pros
- It warms up in 25 seconds (half the time of our last machine)
- The drip tray lifts up, so larger cups or mugs can be accommodated more easily
- It takes up slightly less space in the kitchen (than the last machine).
- I am also very pleased with the auto-power off feature. If left unattended (or forgotten) it switches itself off after 9 minutes. I confess I had a bad habit of leaving the old machine switched on when I was distracted with other things, so this is a particular bonus for me.

Con
- The water tank only holds 0.7 litres. This is less than the last model, but good enough. When the tank runs low, red lights show by the espresso dispenser, so you know to refill before you try to make your drink.

I've had this machine two months now, and I am very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars cafe heaven, 4 Nov 2011
did lots of research before buying into nespresso, and I feel I've been rewarded.

it's all about the coffee and this delivers satisfaction in spades.

Huge saving over Starbucks etc. is the icing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you can get!, 2 Nov 2011
I'm absolutely 110% happy with my purchase. The Nespresso Pixie is the ultimate coffee machine. And also the delivery was fast and smooth. This was the really good deal for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think just buy, 12 Jan 2014
I love this machine, compact, easy to use & most importantly great tasting coffee. Why bother to go to the effort of grinding beans etc when this machine gives you far superior tasting coffee at the touch of a button. I can't recommend it enough. If you get it when they have the Nesspresso club gift card on too its an absolute bargain.

The delivery I got from the seller was top notch too. Ordered after Christmas &'it arrived before New year!