• Soup

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 19 November 2007
... but this must be one of those unnecessary pre-Christmas releases that some 12-year old record company goon has dreamed up.
Both The Housemartins and The Beautiful South were quality bands, with a fantastic back catalogue which I urge you to discover. Cramming tracks from both bands onto one CD simply does not do either of them justice.
Take my advice: spend your money on two 'best of' CDs and discover these bands properly. You won't regret it!
on 9 December 2007
The review for the Beautiful South's "Carry on up the Charts" album states that one in every four households owns that album, so why buy this one? Is it simply for the few addittional Housemartins's tracks? if so buy their best of compilation it is not only more comprehensive but cheaper.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2007
I'm a big fan of the Beautiful South, but like the recent Rolling Stones and Led Zepp compilations this is another unneccessary release. Apart from the fact that I own everything on it as I have all the albums, even for the less committed there are already three BS compilations available and one excellent Housemartins compilation which covers their career much more comprehensively than does this release. Just to try and tempt people to shell out yet again for what they've already bought they've thrown in a DVD edition as well, but it won't be tempting me!
Once again 5 stars for the music and 2 for the album itself.
on 12 April 2016
An album with both The Housemartins and The Beautiful South - what's not to like? This album has "Happy Hour", Caravan of Love", "You Keep it all In", "A Little Bit of Time" as well as "Rotterdam". It also includes my favourite: "Song for Whoever". Songs follow the chronological time line of the group's accomplishment, and develops further into their reformed band. Mood lifting music. Love listening to this.
on 22 April 2014
A clever compilation of the best of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South, showcasing the skills of Paul Heaton as songwriter and vocalist. From 1986, come 3 lovely tracks from The Housemartins - 'Caravan Of Love', 'Happy Hour' and the sublime 'Think For A Minute'; from 1989 onwards are many beloved tracks such as 'Song For Whoever', 'You Keep It All In', 'A Little Time', 'Rotterdam' and 'Perfect 10' from the canon of The Beautiful South. Although not a fully comprehensive collection (Why on earth would you leave off the gorgeous 'Bell Bottomed Tear' featuring the lovely vocals of Briana Corrigan?), this is a decent set of 22 songs and is well worth buying at a beautiful price!!
on 5 December 2008
Very pleased with this cd, theres not a bad song on it. I bought this as a fan of the beautiful south, not being familiar with the housemartins (cept for 2 songs maybe). Must say it has awakened a yearning to hear more of the Housemartins, theres only 7 songs by them on this cd, and left me wanting more. The Housemartins music has a more hectic, and energetic syle than The beautiful South which has a smoother more polished, and commercial sound.
The Housemartins have a raw youthful energy about them, possibly as they were younger and hungry for success at the time their music came about.
Theres 22 tracks on this cd, all the Beautiful South favs are there and the track order is about right i feel.
If you like the melodic qualities of guitar and piano blending together that is a trademark of the beautiful South's music, you will love this.
The tracks by the Housemartins are a lovely bonus.
on 8 October 2015
5 stars for delivery. 4 for the product. I have never been a big fan of either the Housemartins or The Beautiful South but our choir is singing Caravan of Love a capella so I thought I might have missed some fantastic harmonies by this group. I do like it and maybe I will grow to love it when I am more familiar with the songs.
on 18 August 2013
I love both of theae Bands so no problem with the music, but disappointed when I opened the CD case as the paper inserts are both water damaged and the pages are stuck together. This CD didn't arrive with a cellophane wrapper so I am doubtful about this CD being brand new???
on 12 March 2015
I recently went on a long car journey and me and my travelling companion couldn't decide which cd to listen to so we decided on one neither of us particularly wanted... out came 'Soup'. It was a real Eureka moment for us both. Every single song that came on had us both saying 'Oh I LOVE this song', 2 gems in particular - 'Old Red Eyes is Back' and 'Me and the Farmer' reminded us how brilliant Paul Heaton is as a writer and lyricist. My favourite Greatest Hits compilation by far. Buy it.
on 27 November 2007
A great band - but a totally pointless compilation. Is there a household in the land with out a BS album? A totally cynical pre-Christmas marketing effort.