5.0 out of 5 stars No Angel
Published on 10 Mar 2011 by Gannon

3.0 out of 5 stars Took a while
This album was an Amazon recomendation when I bought a Counting Crows album a bit of a punt really, and intially I thought it was going to be a mistake!....... But I've got to say he's grown on me.
Good company on a long drive x
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by Jonanab

5.0 out of 5 stars No Angel, 10 Mar 2011
Gannon (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Audio CD)
With Conor Oberst perhaps on the wane, or, at least hanging up his Bright Eyes, the cognoscenti have jumped ship - their chosen vessel: that of "in" troubadour Kurt Vile. Earning his spurs in all the right places (at the incandescent Woodsist and Mexican Summer labels amongst others), and touring alongside all the right people (with Ariel Pink, Sonic Youth, Big Star, The National and Dinosaur Jr amongst others), this young Philadephian - remarkably the youngest of ten siblings - now presents his second blue-collar album on Matador and his fourth overall. And, by the sound of it, Smoke Ring For My Halo looks like going stratospheric.

Formerly guitarist in the all-American, "heartland" rock outfit The War On Drugs, this ex-forklift driver's last LP, Childish Prodigy, seems in retrospect a bridge, rather than evolutionary step between Vile's stoned, snotty lo-fi beginnings and today's pedal-free, honest-rock incarnate. "I don't wanna change, but I don't wanna stay the same" he protests on the homely recording "Peeping Tomboy". Yet, Vile has done both. Despite losing 2009's mid-fi echo and feedback - and thus arguably some of that period's appeal - this is an album nevertheless conceived in a grubby bedroom, but one with its eyes on the horizon, one destined for grander things. Successfully finding an alternative middle ground, Smoke Ring For My Halo scrubs up well, but it isn't clean - it's not just cigarette smoke crowding to make that halo you know.

Resolutely bred on a diet of Tom Petty and Bob Seger, Vile sets himself apart from other contemporary FM rockers - think the swollen sonics of the current Band Of Horses set-up - with the help of a cast of many. This cast includes Meg Baird of whispy folksters Espers on backing vocal for the atmospheric album opener "Baby's Arms", as well as his regular band The Violaters who are never far away. And the result, Smoke Ring For My Halo, is an offhand classic - in the sense that it could have been delivered off the cuff anytime in the last forty years. That it would have caused ripples in the rock pond at any time in that period is a credit to Vile alone.

As American then as Springsteen and Dylan, but studiously in charge of his own brand of pessimism, Smoke Ring For My Halo ranges widely, freewheeling between carefully plucked progressions and Neil Young's politicised strumming. Accordingly, Vile draws out his sneer across power chords in the iconic-sounding "Puppet To The Man". Though restrained in its acoustic delivery, the subtly seething "Runner Ups" is equally impressive. Whereas, more overtly gentle inclusions such as Mary Lattimore's harp, as heard on the persuasive strains of "On Tour", add candid depth, melancholy and balance to the collection.

What's best though is that despite its obvious quality Smoke Ring For My Halo doesn't feel like the finished article. Vile has more to come. Make room for another tattoo - on this form you're going to want to keep that one even closer to your heart.

Advised downloads: "Puppet To The Man" and "Runner Ups".

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST LPs OF THE YEAR, 28 Jun 2011
David P. Weber (North Fremantle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Audio CD)
This is simply great. It's the possible next step for anyone who got into John Grant's album of last year. Different dude, different voice, different topics (generally) but his songs take you to secret places in the same way Grant did.

I note that another reviewer here said there was nothing "groundbreaking" here. That's true, in the sense that you could draw a line of influence from Vile to many other singer songwriters of, say, the early 1970s. I'd name Michael Chapman, Bill Fay, a bit of Terry Reid and a dash of Nick Drake... others will hear their own reference points.

Having said that, I have no idea whether Vile has heard any of those artists. The bottom line is this..

He sounds like himself, and there's been nothing much like 'Smoke Ring For My Halo' for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars He deserves a halo after this, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Audio CD)
I've really fallen in love with this incredible album. Vile's offhand and potent lyrics are all the more powerful for sounding so completely closed off from the world.

The first few opening seconds of 'Runner-Ups' is so beautiful that I can usually feel my tear ducts expanding as soon as the guitar rhythm kicks in.

Elsewhere I'm similarly overwhelmed by 'Baby's Arms', when Vile sings '...'cause I will never, ever be alone', and yet the way he intones his voice suggests optimism but also an ambiguity that is heartbreaking.

This is a down-and-out kind of album that is utterly consumed by its own feelings of insignificance, emerging cocoon-like from headphones or hi-fi's with so much empathy and disaffection that I can't quite stomach up the adequate hyperbole to vent how wonderful I think this music is.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice find., 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Amazon Exclusive Version) (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this from Amazon having never heard of him before while trawling for something new to listen to. After reading through the reviews I thought I'd go for it! I'm not dissapointed, very good album. Couple of stand outs so far, On Tour & Society is my Friend. Worth a investigating if you like Phosphorescent, Mosters of Folk...that sort of thing. I will be getting his other releases in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 1 Oct 2012
Knockout stuff from Kurt Vile. This album is a real grower, I love it - atmospheric driving music. Whats not to love!

3.0 out of 5 stars Took a while, 11 Jun 2012
Good company on a long drive x

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Audio CD)
I went into a record shop and asked what the guy was playing. Bought a copy and its been on every day since. A kind of Lou Reed/Doorsish with its own twist sound, but then that's a little unfair. I think this album will influence future generations of musicians. It's that good. 'On Tour' and 'Peeping Tom' will stay in your head for days. The kind of album, I think, that Ian Curtis would have enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but over rated leaving me slightly disappointed., 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Smoke Ring For My Halo (Audio CD)
I heard massively good things about this album from all sorts of people who know what theyre talking about such as Jarvis Cocker and Laurene Laverne to name a couple so I was slightly deflated upon listening to it as it didn't really live up to all the hype for me. I really like the album, it has a raw sound and his voice is luxuriously sexy but really, there was nothing ground breaking about it and I came away feeling as though I had heard it all before. A darkly talented artist but it doesn't compare to some other releases of the same genre recently. All the same it is definitely worth a listen!

3.0 out of 5 stars should have stayed with the "drugs", 27 Aug 2012
In my babies arms is in my opinion the best track the rest are fair to pretty good...I have to say that Adam Granduciel's decision to give up on the group ..The War on Drugs and back Vile in his efforts does not make sense to me ...Adam has a far better voice with a great range to it and his writing is far superior to Vile's ..I realy hope Granduciel changes his mind ..this album at best to me is an also ran ..I have heard far better ..THIS IS MY OPINION I know it will upset others but hey ho