4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson DC33i upright bagless vacuum cleaner
Published on 23 Jan. 2013 by Gillyanna

2.0 out of 5 stars Several design flaws = frustrating & exhausting to use
Published on 15 April 2013 by Gerardius

2.0 out of 5 stars Several design flaws = frustrating & exhausting to use, 15 April 2013
Gerardius (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
This is the second Dyson I have ever had; the first being my faithful DC01 which I gave away before moving abroad to Spain where there were no carpets, only tiles in the house where I lived. I bought the DC33i on return to the UK to replace a SEBO K1 Pet which was very good but I was fed up of the expensive bags and big drop-off in suction when only 1/3 full. This is a non-biased review which I hope you will find helpful!

My house has all of the types of flooring: carpets, wood, tiles and rugs so I got this as it is described as being for all floors.

The positive:
1. Powerful suction and carpet brushing; collects dirt my other vacuum cleaner missed.
2. Easy emptying.

The negative:
1. Heavy and awkward to manoeuvre.
2. Bulky with very poor clearance under furniture.
3. Extremely loud motor noise with a high-pitched dissonant second tone. (I'm told this is 'normal'). Get some earplugs!
4. When the wand is detached and extended, the flexible hose is too taught: the vacuum wants to follow close to you and limits your reach.
5. Suction is too extreme for carpet & upholstery accessories: creates too much drag on surfaces.
6. ALL the accessories I have for this (the 'clean and tidy kit' extras plus mattress tool and crevice tool) for this are hopeless for cleaning under beds or furniture as they are a fixed angle: completely useless if the wand is in a horizontal or near-horizontal position.
7. Very 'plasticky'. No metal parts to be seen anywhere.

Easy fixes for you, Dyson, would be:
1. Have a simple suction adjustment sliding vent anywhere along the tubing before the transparent collection bin: this will not affect net airflow volume/speed and will allow for less powerful suction at the cleaning 'business' end if desired.
2. A universal semi-articulated (locking?) joint that can be attached between the end of the wand and any other accessory. Will allow greater flexibility for cleaning angle.
3. Nos. 1&2 above could be combined into a single item to 'upgrade' existing upright models.

I'm just pleased I didn't pay the full price for this vacuum which in my opinion is very overpriced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson DC33i upright bagless vacuum cleaner, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Bought the Dyson DC33i to replace an older Dyson model. Opted for Dyson again due to price (£199) in comparison to other makes for similar product, its bagless with HEPA filtration & previous excellent experience with Dyson vacuums. This model still has great suction, a good sized bin & can be used to vacuum carpets & hard floors. The features of the DC33i boast that its lightweight - it is lighter than the previous model I owned but this is largely down to the fact that the metal wand has been replaced with a flimsy plastic one. The onboard tools are also pretty useless. The crevice tool is not narrow enough to get right into the edges between carpets & skirting boards & to use the 'lint' tool once its attached to the wand you have to have the wand almost parallel to the floor. I also find it makes doing the stairs more difficult than my old model due to the hose/wand not being very stretchy. All in all a good vacuum cleaner with great suction but be prepared to be frustrated with all the different buttons for undoing different parts of the hose/wand & the inadequate onboard tools - as if housework wasnt a big enough chore already!!

1.0 out of 5 stars GONE DOWN THE NICK FROM THE OLDER MODELS., 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Don't buy this if your expecting it to be as good as they were.
Now the hose is too stiff and its shorter. It follows you around often hitting you from behind, very hazardous and annoying!!! The wand that used to be sturdy and strong is now only cheap flimsy plastic and feels too thin to put any real weight on so useless. The hose no longerr reaches the top of the stairs now either so you have to try to hold th whole machine whilst on the stairs ( rather dangerous and awkward)to vacuums them. If you try doing it from the top the whole machine might follow you and do you an injury from above!! The only reasons they are lighter are they are smaller making the Dustpan smaller ( more emptying) and it all feels like cheap and thin plastic.
Also don't think because you've got a 5 year guarantee and your not satisfied with the performance they will give you your money back or change it because they WON'T I ASKED when I had only had it a short time into my guarantee. They do repair it if nessasary as mine has broken a number of times. The hose is the thing that goes mainly.but a piece also snapped off the wand which they have replaced. I bought the pet head thingy(another expense) to help on the stairs (seeing as I'm stuck with it) but as I've said because this has to be fixed directly to the flexyhose you have to hold the whole machine on the stairs whilst vacuuming or else it won't reach,impossible for many people I would think. I am extremely disappointed with my DYSON feel robbed!!! Poor show Dyson! One star for quick repair and polite friendly staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson upright, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Bought this Hoover for my mum a great Hoover loads of suction and very versatile great attachments to make life easy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cleaner for carpets, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Very good and powerful cleaner for carpets but using the attachments is a nightmare. Just like all Dyson upright cleaners using the attachments is awkward and not at all practical - not really a multi floor cleaner. Whoever disigned these cleaners does not use them in the home environment!!! A radical change is needed to the attachment "usability" to get any higher rating. Still probably the best carpet vacuum cleaner, however others are getting better and their practical use of attachments have been better thought out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson DC33, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dyson DC33i Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Picks up really well on carpets, prefer old style dyson to ball design, good size bin to collect dust etc