4.0 out of 5 stars Very good album! She shines throughout.
Jennifer Hudson's debut was not a flop, not by 2008 standards.
It went gold and, thanks to being nominated alongside a mostly undeserving set of contemporaries, took the 2009 Grammy for Best R&B Album. However, a considerable amount of ill-suited material combined with obstructive guest appearances made it something of a misfire.
If the album was truly worthy of...
Published on 25 April 2011 by contempo.jazz

3.0 out of 5 stars Better to come...
Published on 22 Mar 2011 by Benson

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good album! She shines throughout., 25 April 2011
contempo.jazz (San Francisco/London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
Jennifer Hudson's debut was not a flop, not by 2008 standards.
If the album was truly worthy of a Grammy, "I Remember Me" better run the ceremony's R&B table in 2012.
There is no lightweight pop, no beatbox-based Timbaland beats, no audible Auto-Tune -- no messing around.
Even the adult contemporary material -- the songs that function strictly as a platform for Hudson's powerhouse vocals -- packs more punch.
Most of the songwriters and producers who return from the debut, namely StarGate, Ne-Yo, and Harvey Mason, contribute positively here.
The shrewdest move was involving Alicia Keys, Swizz Beatz, and Salaam Remi.
"Angel", a euphoric testimonial written by Alicia Keys and co-produced by Keys and Swizz, sounds like it could have been made for Teena Marie, recalling "I Need Your Lovin'" while switching between tapping snares and a smacking four-four beat.
Keys and Swizz also team on "Everybody Needs Love", a hard disco throwback that is 80 percent slip-and-slide drums with a gorgeous, prancing chorus.
On "Don't Look Down", Keys and Remi (with Swizz handling the programmed drums) provide a boisterous and uplifting backdrop for one of Hudson's most gospel-rooted performances.
Remi also produces a bold interpretation of Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse's "Feeling Good" that surpasses every vocal version not recorded by Nina Simone.
Another welcome alliance comes from R. Kelly, whose "Where You At" (produced with Mason) is the type of song on which Hudson thrives most -- the album's own "And I Am Telling You", confident but scorned and on the brink of bugging out.
At their best, Hudson and her collaborators provide the kind of mature R&B that is not felt merely in the mind, throat, chest, or hips but the entire body. A Kellman

Favourite tracks: "I Got This", "Where You At", "Angel", and "Everybody Needs love".

Ultimate Collection
Love Songs
Jennifer Hudson

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth getting a copy!, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
Really like a lot of songs on the album and it's less 'hit and miss' than her first release. There are a few b-sides that the album would have benefitted from being without and I'm not sure most of the tracks show off depth of her vocal ability and talent. However it's certainly an enjoyable album and one that I haven't bored of quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
Loved this CD and what a voice. Loved all the tracks and what a fantastic version of "Feeling Good". I enjoyed her last CD too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than first album, 28 July 2013
Jude Smith - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
This album is better than Jennifer's first album release which although had a couple of good tracks on, was a bit dirgy in places. There's a few tracks which remind me of Beyonce but are much, much better. Happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice one JHud, 10 July 2013
Dee "Dee" (Owings Mills, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
This sounded like it was a European release. Although JHud is great regardless, I prefer the US version of the songs to the Euro release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Hudson, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
great album - has it's own flavour and not one type of music. listen to it all the time at work

4.0 out of 5 stars the HUDSON does not fail, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
gawjus album, very slow paced but even still smoothe sexy vocals, though would benefit from more up beat songs in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars cool!, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
i really enjoy the cd and the dvd..
man, she is amazing!
i recomend this seller to anyone.
i love all that songs in her cd.
Hugs

3.0 out of 5 stars Better to come..., 22 Mar 2011
Benson (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
On Jennifer Hudson's `I Remember Me', gone are the days of that real R'n'B club feel you got from `Spotlight' and the rest of her debut release. Instead you'll find a collection of immaculately produced piano driven ballads. Instead of embracing that more hard R&B sound of her debut, `I Remember Me' sticks to more mainstream beats that wouldn't sound out of place on a Leona Lewis release.

With the songwriting/production credits including Alicia Keys, Ryan Tedder, Ne-Yo, Stargate and R Kelly, my expectations were quite high. Unfortunately I have to admit I was largely disappointed. That fantastic voice still lives on but the material here is average at best. Outside of lead single `Where You At', the stand out tracks are few and far between and come in the form of `Why Is It So Hard' (penned by Ne-Yo) and `Gone', which takes a strong beat and blends with the acoustic guitar and some synthesized sounds. Infectious and `alternative' but done better by Leona Lewis in a similar vain with her track `Naked'.
Anyone wondering how Hudson's much publicized struggles take form here you'll find out on `Still Here' where the tragedy she has faced is beautifully incorporated in this Dianne Warren ballad.

The best way to describe the album is pleasant but forgettable. There is a somewhat summery feel across the whole album except for the big brass banded, motown tinged cover of `Feeling Good', where you pause to wonder why Jennifer doesn't explore this sound a little more.

I have to say, I think Jennifer Hudson is a really great role model. To go from Disney alumni to leaving the early stages of `American Idol' as an underdog and become an Academy Award winning actress is inspiration defined and a message to everyone everywhere to never give up on yourself. With her more recent personal tragedies I was really rooting for her on this new release. I still think there is enormous potential in making a great record of original material but she is yet to find the most effective direction for this.

I will add that the UK edition does include 'Spotlight' and from Sex & the City 2, a duet with Leona Lewis 'Love is your Color'. I have no qualms including these. Just a little shame they outshine the newer material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning vocals and several outstanding tracks, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: I Remember Me (Audio CD)
Jennifer Hudson is well-known for her vocal talent and she doesn't disappoint with her second album "I Remember Me". Melodic, beautiful and soaring, her singing seems so effortless. For me, the stand out tracks are "I Got This" (strong and soulful), "Don't look down" (jazzy, soulful and funky, really timeless), "No-one Gonna Love You" (upbeat and catchy) and "Angel" (beautiful)."Everybody Needs Love" is also a wonderful track. This is one purchase you will not regret. It is rare to have a young woman produce such a polished collection of songs these days, I really enjoyed the album.

I Remember Me
I Remember Me by Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD - 2011)