4.0 out of 5 stars A little dated, but exceptional value
I shot with the EOS 1100d for a week so I will convey my thoughts about this camera. I use multiple brands so have no specific loyalty to any mount or maker.
The 1100d is the cheapest entry point into Canon's DSLR range. Though it's now over 3 years old, and doesn't have the huge number of pixels/features some rivals have in their 2014 models. It's still a capable...
Published 24 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, but faulty model
I started photography as a hobby last year, beginning with a Fujifilm S2500HD. I learnt quickly and after a year I wanted to make more sophisticated photos, so I decided on the Canon EOS 1100D.

Physically, the camera feels great in the hand - it's not too heavy and made of a nice rubbery material. It includes a variety of items in the box, such as a charger,...
Published on 19 Sep 2012 by David

‹ Previous | 16 7 831 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars everything you could want at the price., 22 July 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (With 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens Kit) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have had this camera for a couple of days now, and I am so happy with it.

It is the entry level model from Canon positioned opposite Nikon's D3100 entry level model.
Despite the low price the camera is light but feels excellently built, it sits very well in the hand and even my five year old niece managed to hold it and take some pictures.
The 18-55mm lens included in the kit is a great all rounder and obviously selected by canon as an ideal first lens to start you on your way in photography.

Left in automatic mode the camera chooses its settings, focuses and takes great pictures all very quickly, with better results than I have seen on any point and shoot or bridge camera.
When you start using the customized pre-sets on the camera, sport, macro, landscape, portrait, and night portrait mode, the camera really works well and makes even the humblest noob feel like a talented photographer.
The camera of course also has a fully manual option allowing you full control over your shutter, ISO, aperture etc. Which are suitable for the advancing amateur.

I have paired mine with a 16GB SD card (speed class 4) and the camera reports 2800+ picture capacity at the highest jpeg quality setting, 600 pictures shooting HQ jpegs and RAW or 770 pictures RAW only. The camera will shoot 3 FPS continuously in HQ jpeg (for minutes at a time), or 2 RAWs in sequence before having to empty its buffer to the memory card.

I am so happy I chose this camera, and am really looking forward to getting to grips with the more advanced photography techniques without breaking the bank.
I recommend you purchase a microfiber cloth because as careful as you will be, your are eventually going to miss when putting the lens cap on and stick your finger onto the lens, and the temptation to use a t-shirt hem to wipe it off is compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the price, 28 Jun 2013
I'm not a professional photographer (or even close) so it took me a long time before I purchased this camera, as it cost quite a bit and was intended for lifetime use. I decided on either the Canon 550D or this one (the 1100D) and I am glad that I made this decision. I think (for an amateur) it's excellent value for money. There are some differences between both cameras but nothing I felt that was significant for me to justify the extra money. Sure, it doesn't have a 3-inch LCD screen but I'm really not bothered since I didn't purchase it for video work but for family and travel (city/country) still shots. With the savings I purchased two other lens (one macro and one telephoto) and had to pay a little more but the savings on this camera took the brunt of the costs for the extra lens. Being a left-handed person, I had to adjust to the fact that most of the functionality is on the right side of the camera(particularly the shutter-button) and the battery-charger came as a two-pin. Fortunately, I already had a three-pin adapter. For me, these were minor issues. There is a lot more to this camera than can be learned in one day and I bought the recommended book on this camera to guide me not only on the numerous functions it offers, but also to learn the basics of how to get professional-type shots. The quality of the photos really is astounding, and that's just using 'Automatic' mode in darkness and on grey days. So with some experience, I have no doubt, this camera will produce fantastic shots for posterity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera inc lens kit, 27 Sep 2012
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is our very first SLR camera having previously owned standard digital cameras and I can honestly say I am really impressed and SLR is definitely the way to go if you have never tried it before. I was a bit worried this may be too technical for me but the booklet that comes with it does really explain most of the functions very well and brilliantly for me there is an auto setting where the camera is clever enough to work out the settings required for you automatically. Hopefully once I brave some of the non automatic settings I may be able to buy additional lenses etc and really use the camera to it's full potential but for now I am really really happy using the auto settings. If you have never used an SLR camera and are worried like I was that you won't be able to then I can honestly inform you that providing you were reasonably okay with a standard digital camera then you should be perfectly fine with this one. A brilliant camera and extremely reasonably priced at £315 including the lens which on some sites are charging an astronomical amount for them both separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 2 Sep 2012
A cracking camera. My first digital SLR. I always used to use a film SLR but moved to digital point and shoot years ago but have never really been that happy with it. This has changed all that. It's great just to use a view finder rather than squint at a screen. The cannon is simple to use packed with easy to access features. Battery life is amazing too. Our old digital point and shoot the battery only lasted a few hours. This one never stops. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Very good and on time delivery .

5.0 out of 5 stars my new camera, 13 July 2014
just learning all the bits and how they change what you look at. Really apprehensive at first due to the cost and some of the reviews. I had used a Kodak for many years and this was a mere point and shoot, now i am the creator of my pictures. Light and easy to use and now looking to upgrade the lens to use at distance ie air shows and air traffic.all in all well worth the money and it does not feel cheap as some people list it as

5.0 out of 5 stars super camera arrived early eos lenses already have fit great ..., 11 July 2014
super camera arrived early eos lenses already have fit great well pleased !! results so far great still learning

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
Very good as first digital slr. Many features that are only available on more expensive models!!! Like it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
An amazing camera, easy to use and awesome quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
For my son now takes photos all the time.

‹ Previous | 16 7 831 | Next ›