5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed
To be fair, there isn't a great deal of difference between this and the 550d, but I went for it for the articulated screen.
Published on 30 April 2011 by Venton

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera.
The camera has one major weekness in that it will not work in cold weather (-5 Centegrade) so it was unable to take any photos of the Northern Lights. Whereas a Lumix had no problems.
Published 16 months ago by Ian Sudbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 30 April 2011
This has proved useful for taking shots of small children as you can place the camera down at their height and compose the shot without laying on the floor. Rather than looking through the view finder you can switch to 'live view' where the photo you take will be shown on the lcd panel. This is also good for taking photos of flowers in meadows etc, you can get some quite fresh looking viewpoints.

I got this camera to take me to the next level, from a Canon Ixus 800 point and shoot (which in itself is a very good camera).
As I wanted to really step up the quality of my photos I didn't get the kit lens, but instead started off with the Canon 50mm 1.8 II lens, which is around £85. This lens is notorious for taking very high quality photos for little money. (Be aware that serious lenses for these cameras are usually hundreds of ££ each). I also got a Trascend 16GB class 10 memory card which can handle photos and video capture very quickly.

I took the camera down to family and friends and took plenty of photos inside and out. To begin with I just used the Scene Intelligent setting and let it do it's thing. Well the photos the camera / lens combination took were outstanding, much better than I have taken before. The sharpness and detail is really amazing when you zoom in to look at the detail. The photos look professional quality, whereas I am an amateur, so very pleased. Shots inside the house, which was not well lit look brilliant even without using the inbuilt flash.

The 50mm lens is really a bargain, but is probably best used as a portrait lens, as on this body it is more like an 80mm. This means you can't really get group shots in a confined space. I have just ordered the 15-85mm EFS lens which will cater for wide angle and mild telephoto, and be a good general walkaround lens. But I will keep the 50mm, as it's low light performance is brilliant, being a 1.8 lens.

I had a quick go at videoing with the 50mm lens, but the result wasn't great, because it is a bit of a telephoto, the results were jerky handheld - but I've no doubt with some practice/tripod and a different lens the results will be great (especially one with inbuilt image stabilisation like the 15-85). But my gut feeling is this isn't going to be as convenient to use as a mini camcorder - but I don't mind I bought it for the photos.

In terms of weight, this is a very light camera to walk around with and fairly small. With the 50mm lens on it was quite inconspicuous and I carried it around on my neck all day without any neck-ache problems. I think the Canon bigger brothers are more like bricks to carry.

There are an array of different modes to use apart from the simple point and shoot mode. I have been learning about things I never knew about with my Ixus, for example varying the depth of field by changing the aperture. In fact, this is probably one of the reasons why the photos I took of people are so good, the 50mm lens allows just the face to be in focus while the background is soft and fuzzy - really makes a difference to the quality of the shot.
These other functions bring a lot more creativity to taking photographs and I feel that this camera will give me a lot of pleasure as a hobby for many years. You can be confident that with a good lens or two the quality of the photos will never disappoint. I think with 18 megapixels, this is honestly as much, if not more than enough detail I will ever need. Photos can be printed at a large size at top quality. Also, with a sharp lens and 18 megapixels, you can easily crop the photos quite hard and still have a great result.

For even more creativity, you can shoot photos in RAW mode. This means no processing is done in the camera. For this, you can use the included Digital Photo Professional software. This allows you to set the colour balance, saturation etc AFTER the photo is taken, rather than you being stuck with the settings you chose when you originally took the photo. Cleverly, you can tell the camera to take both a normal photo and a RAW photo at the same time. The RAW files are very large, but if you do happen to take a really fantastic shot you can edit it just how you like it, while deleting all the RAW files for the average photos to save space.

I think that the 600D is capable of taking photos as good as it's bigger brothers, but at a fraction of the cost. However, it isn't built like a tank or weatherproof etc, so will need to be looked after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amatuer user / 1st time DSLR buyer, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 600D Digital SLR Camera (inc. 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
So this was my first step to taking my photography to a hobby level, instead of just my touristy point and click at everything mentality. I was moving from a Sony Nex 5, which I had used for around a year in total. That had taught me a few things about photography but it just didn't cut for me if I wanted to be able to take better photos. So I bought the 600D.

I had been looking at the few other cameras around this price range, including the Nikon D5100 and the Sony SLT A55, but I felt that the features the 600D had and the lenses available to purchase were more appealing.

I have been using the camera on both manual and automatic modes and it can produce some excellent results. The automatic options include an a range of modes from sports to creative auto. The creative auto gives you the control over the depth of field and other options. These are great if you just want to fire of some shots without having to worry about the light settings.

The manual settings are just as easy to work around and you will find yourself using them more and more. This is partly due to the easy menu options and the placement of the manual buttons around the camera. You can quickly change the ISO and many other settings from the click of the finger and the scroll wheel above the grip.

The autofocus works great and is extremely fast, I have compared this against a friends Nikon D7000 and the 600D is always quicker and more responsive. Manual focus is easily turned on by a flick of the switch on the lens.

Many people say they don't think the articulated screen is much to sing and dance about, but I love it. It is great to use when you want to get a funny angle or hard to reach shot. It also provides protection for the screen when you have the camera in your bag as you can turn the screen inwards. The screen itself is lovely and sharp, with great colours, so you really know what the photo looks like when you review it afterwards.

If you are looking to take your photography that little bit further when you are a beginner like me, then I fully recommend this camera.

I currently have the 600D, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, and 50mm lens. These cover all the situations I have come up against so far and all at great price. I do fancy some of the higher end lenses, but they start getting very expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 24 Feb. 2012
This is not going to be a full review but just a series of notes about points that other reviews have mentioned about this camera.

1) Being a SLR camera the cameras autofocus operates when the mirror is down and then it flips up to take the photo. When operating in live view mode the mirror is held up so the normal autofocus cannot be used. Instead the camera uses image processing to focus in and out to detect an edge in the focusing area and then adjust the focus to make that edge as sharp as possible. This means the focusing is much slower.

2) It is not a replacement for a camcorder. Like in live view the mirror is held up when recording and due to the time it takes to focus the autofocus feature is disabled during video recording. You can flip the mirror and use the autofocus but this causes the video recording to record a still image for a second while this happens. If you want a camera for taking pictures and video recording then perhaps look at the Sony alpha range which uses different mirror technology which means it can use the standard autofocus while video recording.

3) Seriously consider buying the bare camera and a higher quality lens as the stock ones wont enable you to get the best pictures the camera is capable of. The 28-135 EF IS USM canon lens is very good but perhaps lacking slightly in the wide angle.

4) If you buy additional lenses then be aware of the difference between EF and EF-S lenses. The 600D is a APS-C crop camera so the sensor is smaller (like other cameras in this price bracket). If you buy a EF-S lens then you will find it wont be compatible with a full frame camera such as the 5D MK II. However if you want a good wide angle lens they you will probably be looking exclusively at EF-S senses.

5) A 50mm lens is generally regarded as being a standard lens. If you want to buy a good prime lens (basically a prime is a non zoom lens) then you probably want to look for something around 30mm so that on the 600D it becomes effectively a 50mm lens.

6) Buy a USM lens. The stock lenses have a noisy autofocus while the USM is quiet and also these lenses are better quality anyway so a worthwhile investment.

7) Image Stabilization works very well. If you want to see how well it really works just fit a zoom lens and zoom to max and switch to live view and zoom that in fully to 10x. Now half press the shutter button to focus and activate the IS and you will see the picture is pretty steady. Now let go of the shutter button and after a second or so the IS will switch off and you will notice the image suddenly start to shake. If you are using a tripod you may wish to turn off the IS feature. If you are video recording in a quiet environment you may wish to turn off IS aswell as it does generate a little noise.

8) Buy a UV filter for the lens and fit it as soon as you take the lens out of the box and never remove it. If you bump the front of the lens on something then a new filter is much cheaper that a lens repair.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream come true, fantastic camera for the money, 16 April 2011
Been looking for years for a DSLR, something always put me off.

Took the plunge and boy what a difference, no problems with contrast (I take photos of coloured horses), plenty of speed (they don't go as fast as a Ferrari) and I can now make HD videos!

Almost 57 and I feel like I did when I had my first SLR, a Zenith, then a Ricoh, then a Pentax and the last film SLR is sitting on the shelf, a mint EOS1000FN if anybody wants it, no better not now that my daughter is into 'retro' pictures, no idea why. Oh, she is doing photography at college so that could be why.

If you are in any doubt about buying one of these DON'T BE!!

Update: I took some absolutely stunning pics and videos at an indoor horse show, poor lighting and fast action still didn't catch this camera out. I was going to buy the 60D but now I'm glad I didn't, the video zoom is essential and according to Canon will not appear on the 60D because it is a hardware enhancement, nothing to do with firmware.

Another update: I had the new and old USM lenses with my film camera and noticed all the comments about 'silent' focusing so I stuck them on the 600D, yes they are quieter but they are also far heavier and seem to eat up the battery a bit quicker. What surprised me was the superior image quality from the new lighter plastic (yes plastic!) lenses on the newer IS kit, distortion is far less of a problem and of course there is the advantage of image stabilization. If you have a couple of grand to spend you can certainly get better lenses than the 'kit' variety but until someone proves to me the prosumer that it is worth the extra I am happy with the results. I also bought a 55-250 zoom and a 50mm 1.8, I hardly use them because the kit zoom meets most of my needs and I can always crop to my heart's delight, the bigger zoom is better than my by old 'big' USM zoom, smaller, lighter and most importantly has IS, better pics too, less flare etc. Just can't be bothered to take the extra lenses out of the Lowepro bag, done it at shows and missed some pics my kids caught with their Panasonic TZ, now that beautiful little camera is another story altogether, advancing technology could make DSLRs obsolete... er NO, I like the viewfinder, don't need my glasses and no squinting at a screen in sunlight. AND a DSLR is a bit more future proof, it also annoys the 'pro' at shows when I'm getting shots he misses while he flits back and forth to his mobile studio carrying his six foot long lens..

Overall I can't fault this camera, reliable, good battery life, consistent results and terribly easy to use... just grab it and shoot, bliss. Recently paid to have an image put on a big canvas for the wall, WOW! I feel like Bathit Daily now.

As far as autofocus on movie mode is concerned I would rather use manual any day, you can create movies with a bit more 'atmosphere'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing product!! BUT you need a good quality SD card., 27 Oct. 2013
The camera came on the first day of the delivery estimate in perfect condition.
I have been playing around with it for a few days now and the photos are incredible quality - even for someone who is an absolute novice with cameras!!

The only thing I would say is that in order to film videos on this camera you need an SD card of mark 6 or above.
I'll be honest I had no idea that SD cards varied in anything other than memory size. However due to the quality of the footage this camera can produce the SD card needs to work quick enough. Anything less than mark 6 will mean the camera will film for about 20 seconds and then stop.

Other than that there is nothing at all that I could complain about. If you are looking for a top of the range camera that can be used by any level of photographer then go for this one. Every time

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera however newer models defiantly provide interesting alternatives., 3 Dec. 2013
I've been using the 600d for nearly a year as both a video camera and for my photography. I'm a big believer in the importance of the lens over the camera so I've used this camera with some very expensive professional lens on the the last few months and it's yet to fail me as a camera!

The body is strong and well made and I've found it to be a great all rounder, perfect for someone new to photography but also perfectly adequate for a more experienced shooter.

The video function of the camera is great and I've used it extensively for the recording and production of promotional videos in the time I've been using it. The on camera microphone is surprisingly effective (although not great in noisy environments). The lack of constant auto focus in video does make it a little more difficult for the beginner however I use all manual lens' for video work so not a problem for me.

When shooting stills in low light I found the ISO to be adequate and having used both the 650d and 60d I'd say the extra cost of the 650d isn't worth it based on that specification difference. Their is some noise on mixed light environments that isn't ideal but that's possibly an issue with my skill rather than the camera.

If I were purchasing again I would seriously consider the 60d (now replaced by the 70d) it's specification may not be massively different but some of it's shooting features such as the top screen etc and button layout do make it much easier to use in the field!

I would also seriously consider the 100d as an alternative now too! The price is great and the camera is seriously compact! I found the focusing much faster and the button layout far more intuitive than the 600d plus the benefit (or negative depending on your opinion) of being touch screen! Having used it for some time now the flip out screen is far less useful than I anticipated and it spends most of its' life just sat in the camera like a none pop out screen so the 100d is not worse off for not having this, in fact I think I'd prefer it for ease of adding video viewfinders etc!

Having said all of that I'm very fond of the 600d and it's been a great camera for me, I imagine now it's replacements (700d) or alternatives (70d or 100d) will get much attention however as it's price drops the 600d becomes a better and better deal it think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box and into the garden..., 9 April 2012
Wow! That's really the best way to describe my experience with this camera so far!

As a keen gardener, I regularly trawl through gardening blogs and publications and wanted to try and recreate some of these beautiful horticultural shots myself. Having never had a 'proper' camera before, I thought it was probably a bit of a far-fetched desire, which would take me years to perfect. But I started researching cameras and, after much reading and watching of reviews, thought this one would be perfect - there to hold my hand through my amateurishness, but have the possibility for more control as I (hopefully!) get better!

Well, the camera turned up, I put the battery on charge and when it was charged popped it and my camera card (bought separately) in. Couldn't have been easier - all self-explanatory. I gave a cursory glance at the (very fulsome and helpful) guide, discovered a couple of the basic shooting modes, then I headed straight out into the garden. It was immediately wonderful! So easy to use and the results...exquisite! I'm basically beside myself with glee at the pictures it's taking! My garden has never looked so wonderful! I bought the camera body and lens kit, and wasn't sure whether it was the best lens for what I was after. But the macro (for my purposes anyway) is simply great! And the quality when you zoom into the shots...wow Wow WOW!

I've had the camera for a few days now and, as I figure out more, the pictures are getting even better. But I still can't believe how good they were essentially straight out of the box (apart from charging the battery!). If you're an amateur looking to get into photography, then I'd say this is the camera for you. Easy to use and great results...what more could you want!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars very impressed, 11 July 2011
bought this as my first SLR, had never used one before but was so impressed with how user friendly it was, the lens i have learned is very basic and doesn't give you allot of zoom but is ok to start off with. would definitely recommend this camera to anyone looking to get into photography at any level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning stills, video will be a challenge to master, 1 April 2011
J. Jennings (UK) - See all my reviews
Don't get rid of the camcorder yet.

I bought the 600d hoping that I could use it as an all-in-one camera on work and holiday trips, capturing video and stills of usable quality. I've been using the powershot range and had hoped that the 600d would provide, in functional terms, an enhanced version of this capability.

There's no doubt that the 600d is technically capable of doing that. The stills are far and away the best quality I have ever managed to get; portraits, landscape and action shots are stunningly good an the ease of use factor is very high. I'd hoped that it would be good for stills but it's so much better than good.

Getting high quality video is certainly technically possible, but getting usable video easily is more problematic. The first time I used it for video I get a shock when I played it back on the screen; the amount of grain visible was appalling; equivalent to the point-and-shoot powershot camera that we already have. And the old-fashioned mini dv HD camcorder had it beaten hands down for quality. It was caused by the 600d's automatic settings which had adjusted the F-stop and the ISO and the shutter speed to get the most usable footage with the available light. Not good. So that meant tinkering manually with the settings and learning - rather quicker than you might usually - all about the limitations of using DSLRs for video if you haven't first mastered the art of filming. It soon became apparent that one of the problems was using standard lenses - perfectly acceptable for stills but not always able to cope with reducing light for video.

So the next thing was to get was another lens - the 50mm f1.8 portrait lens from Canon, being the most affordable. That made things a whole lot better but still left a lot to be learned. A problem is though, that the bigger the lens in terms of f-stop, the more precise the focusing needs to be. So you'll need to master all kinds of handling techniques in order to get the best out of it, and it's not straightforward.

Focusing is difficult to accomplish easily. Using the shutter button to focus usually throws completely whatever focus you may have gotten to at that point, stops down the aperture briefly, so everything goes darker, and it makes the kind of noise that non-mortgage scale lenses usually do. The only way of avoiding this is to focus manually.

But you can't use the optical viewfinder and you have to rely on the live-view screen. It's good but still takes longer to set properly by hand and, if, like me, you have to wear glasses for close up work but don't need them for looking at your subject, this can be awkward, especially if you're not in control of the action in front of you or if you're on the move.

Interestingly the swing-out screen proves valuable in this respect; if you hold the body with the right hand and swing screen swung out tilted upwards resting on the left wrist leaves the camera very stable and the fingers of the left hand are free to deal with focusing and or zooming. You're looking down at the screen rather than in the general direction of the action, but it's producing reasonable results so far.

Then there's light sensitivity. The grain you get in lower light, especially indoors, can be quite a surprise compared to the sheer and undoubted quality you get outside in bright sunlight. If you want to use this for serious video, you'll need to invest in serious glass and think through in advance what you're going to film. You'll also need to learn much more about f-stops, shutter speeds, ISO settings and focus pulling than you might have expected. That said, if you want to do serious video you ought to do that anyway.

But when you get it right, and especially from a tripod, the quality is absolutely stunning. And the zoom facility in HD video takes the breath away. I shot the `super moon' in March , using a F8 500 mirror lens and zooming in x3 and x10 meant the moon more than filled the screen. Adjusting the shutter speed produced video with real detail and quality, spoiled only by the slight pollution haze in the air.

I'm now looking at other lens options for everyday use, including old Nikon, Pentax and Olympus lenses with adapters. I suspect - well I hope - that Canon will now be frantically developing dedicated lenses for DSLR video with quiet, fast autofocus, wide and controllable apertures and so on. But a word of warning; these need to be cheap; the 50mm F1.8 for around £90 is a good start; but what's needed is a 28-70 f1.8 with usm for under £300. I know, dream on. But the lens and focusing system of the Canon Legria camcorders is pretty good and adapting it for the EOS range couldn't, surely, be that problematic? I guess the next step might be future models having a lanc controller socket with an electronic focus wheel ... I know, I know, if you want that, buy a camcorder ...

In summary; for stills, the 600d is fantastic. Way, way better than the 300d that I've been using for couple of years. Versatile, crisp and clean handling and the colours and details are fantastic.

For video, you need to accept that you can't simply use the 600d as you would a compact cameras with video or a conventional HD camcorder. It doesn't do point-and-shoot that well and the standard lenses don't like low light much.

It's outstanding for video in terms of tripod work, set-piece filming and for any filming you'd want or need to use a specialist lens for. But it's not a point-and-shoot camcorder with SLR scale lenses and if this is what you want, there are souped-up hybrids in the range which might suit better. Or you could stick with an HD camcorder.

As for HD video on the 600d, you'll have to work at it to master its undoubted capabilities, and until you succeed, you'll have to live with the way it reveals your own limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing camera for the price, 2 July 2013
The Canon EOS 600D was released as a replacement for the 550D, and was later replaced itself with the 650D. But the 600D is holding its own in Canon's current line-up and is an excellent entry level Digital SLR.

It's main rival in the Nikon D5100 which is slightly cheaper but with only 16.2MP

Canon have crammed 18MP on to a sensor that is only fractionally bigger than the 12MP sensor of the 1100D with no visible loss of quality of image.

It's going to be a matter of taste and budget but I would go for this camera as I have never had a moments problem with any of my Canon cameras and the range of lenses available for the EOS range is huge.