on 18 October 2011
My father bought this camera in the USA named the Rebel T3. After only a few months and a disability he gave it to me. Am already the owner of the 550d and so was familiar with the Canon 1100d layout. Have taken a few pictures with it already and can only say wow. A great little camera taking the range of Canon lenses. Pictures are crisp with very little noise in low light situations. When fitted with my 300mm lens it is still fairly light perhaps lighter than my Nikon d3100 and 300mm lens.
Great little camera with 12mp however dont let the reduced mega pixel put you off as pictures between my 550d and this are very hard to tell apart.

Go on buy it and have fun!!

Am contemplating giving this to my 12 year old daughter who has developed an interest. She has already worked it out and taken some great pictures.

Very impressed although I have one big gripe. THE MEMORY card holder is beneath the camera in the battery compartment. WHY CANON WHY. No battery grip available and if it was it would be on and off like a traffic light to change memory cards.

Still a very good capable camera and very light!
review image review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 July 2011
If you have the choice, get the one with the IS II lens. The Image stabilizer comes in handy when you don't have a tripod and taking night shots in low light. This limits blurring. Battery life is awesome. Charges quickly and comes with everything you need to start shooting right away. A little tip: get the 50-250mm IS lens as a secondary lens.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 January 2014
Mine was not an evaluative purchase (see other reviews here); a couple of beers at the airport and not a bad price (even for D*x**s), decided it! Bear in mind that there's no memory card.
The 1100D is a dSLR point 'n' shoot camera. It has the usual modes which (in my case) have yet to be explored; quite honestly, initially, set it on auto or P, (which is a programmable version of auto) and have done with. (Set it like this and the auto ISO speed will take care of everything; on the other hand, everything looks like mid-day).

A couple of the well known review sites have a number of quibbles, one in particular being that the case is quite smooth with no “grip” texture; 2 weeks in and I've not found this a issue, but if you are used to “grip”, then you might notice it.
Another review gripe is the apparently smallish viewfinder size; since I had not looked at any others (see above), I've not found this a problem. The viewfinder allows good framing and has relevant exposure detail as an underbar.
Yes, it's probably built to a price, but from Canon's point of view, you've bought into their system: job done!

But what are the pictures like? Having had a number of different makes of p'n's digital cameras, there appears to be a Company “characteristic” (probably not surprisingly) and this 1100D matches the two Canons I've had before, being different from a Panasonic/Olympus/Fuji, etc.
Running through my pictures of Thailand as I do this, I'm pretty pleased with them, and I have not set the picture resolution to mad levels, either.

Basically, if you've been hovering over the move to dSLR, this is a good price for a good product. The operational layout is good, there's nothing here that will drive you up the wall.
If you want full manual control of your pictures, this 1100D/RebelT3 allows for it, but if you are looking for a direct 35mm equivalent, then this entry level dSLR is not for you.
But that was a generation ago: move on.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Now, I'm strictly an amateur photographer and mainly take pictures of my family and of our days out and holidays, etc. I'm not the kind of guy to get up at 5am on a summers morning to photograph the sunset or anything like that. However, I was always disappointed in the quality of the photos I achieved with my "point and click" cameras and wanted something a bit more substantial. In the past I have tried bridge cameras but always felt disappointed with the results.

I've wanted a DSLR for a while but the price was always an issue for me. The 1100D changed all that as the price was good and the reviews equally so. I've seen some reviews saying the 1100D is plasticky and I guess compared to some higher end Canons it is, but not overly so. It doesn't feel like a "budget" model or anything like that to me.

Unsurprisinlgly, the camera doesn't come with a manual, only a PDF version. Personally, for the majority of gadgets this is fine for me, but for cameras, particuarly complicated one, this is a different kettle of fish, so I did miss not having a paper document to refer to. In the end I bought the Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D Digital Field Guide (Digital Field Guides) for under a tenner which has proved invaluable. Without that guide to refer too I would probably still be too scared to turn that dial from the comforting green rectangle; full auto.

I've used this quite a bit over the summer and have mainly be pleased with the results. I'm still not too clued up on shutter speeds and lighting and all that kind of stuff but I'm getting there slowly.

I'm really pleased with the camera, it feels nice and weighty in the hand and the quality of the images is superb. If there has been an issue with a photo then every time it's been because I've been fiddling with settings that I shouldn't be.

I would really recommend this camera to anyone who is looking to branch out on a more sophisticated camera but would advise getting a paper manual to refer to, particularly when you are first getting used to all the different settings.

If you get one then have fun!
on 2 April 2014
This is my first DSLR camera and after using it for many months I am very happy with it. I spent a long time searching for something within my budget and this was on a deal with the lens.

A friend has a much higher end Canon along with many lenses he has let me use which has increased my enjoyment.

Being new to the camera world I cannot think of any major issues that a pro would have with regards to camera's but this one suits me just fine. Even though it records video in 720p and not 1080p it still provides fantastic quality recordings.

One little niggle for me though is when you have auto focus on it can take a while to focus and sometimes not at all in low lit areas however as far as I am aware this isn't an issue with this particular model, just the nature of photography. But, due to experience I find myself manually focusing more and more, it was mainly at the start it was a point and click job, which again it does in fantastic detail and as always, a computer cannot predict what you yourself want to photograph!

When recording video, its manual focus only, auto doesn't work and whilst this isn't a major issue, it can be quite irritating when recording video outside in the sun when trying to look at the LCD and decide whether you are focused properly or not, to then discover back home on the computer that your focus wasn't as sharp as it could have been, but this is just due to the glare from the sun on the LCD. If anyone has any recommendations or tips to reduce this and improve the ability to focus video in the sunlight I would appreciate this.

Battery lasts a decent length, I have only recharged it maybe 3 times over the past 5-6 months? (Can't remember date of purchase) and that is with maybe a dozen videos taken and thousands of pictures taken.

In short, I'm chuffed :)

As stated I am happy with this product and would definately recommend to anyone who is wanting a good DSLR on a budget.
on 1 December 2013
I have had the 1100D for a few months now. It was bought as a cheap, throw about model to be used when I don't want to carry my heavier gear but still have the quality a DSLR provides. I have been very impressed with the results, especially when using ISO 1600 in low light where it performs very well. Handling for me is superb, very light and buttons exactly where they should be. Yes it has a few drawbacks, mainly for me being the rate at which you can rattle off RAW frames. Some people moan about the "plastic" finish, to me there is nothing to criticize, this is a camera that is built to a budget but the finish is fine and I have had no problems at all. BUT remember this is the base Canon model, and for what you are paying you are getting a bargain that can produce superb images and also opens up the world of Canon's superb lenses. In summary, if you cant take superb photos with this camera then its your abilities as a photographer and not the camera. Totally recommended.
on 12 December 2012
As a retired advertising photographer I did not expect too much from this camera. I looked upon it very much as an entry level DSLR and when it comes with lens included then I expected even less. However I have been pleasantly surprised. The picture quality is fine with the supplied lens but much better with a fixed focal length prime. when viewing the images at 100% on my Mac there seems to be some over processing of the file but when printed out, and that is what really matters, they look fine, at least up to A3. The controls are very intuitive as the screen keeps you informed of the various settings as you apply them.
Basically got what I expected and then some.
on 4 April 2014
Amazon as usual very slow to despatch but that aside its' a great little camera, good spec and easy to operate once you've read the manual a few times. Disappointed it didn't come with the Image Stabilised lens although you shouldn't need that at these short focal lengths. I also bought a 55-250 IS lens where you sometimes need stabilisation at the longer focal length.
I think the 12 Mp quality is un-necessary unless you are blowing up pictures for street size posters, the lowest setting is good enough for PC viewing and 3 Mp good for A4 prints.
It's light and well balanced with through the lens viewing - very practical camera which comes with some good software for editing and printing. You can also operate the camera from your PC, not only shooting but changing settings. Canon also have some good support features on its website where you register it.
I not only use it for terrestrial photography, I use it with my 8" telescope and spotting scope with the appropriate adapters - it gives excellent results with both and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it in spite of the fact that the price went up by £5 since I ordered mine - it's still good value and probably beats all other prices.
The only complaint I have about the kit is that you'd expect to be able to photograph something straight away - you can't - you then have to buy an SD card to store the images.
on 25 November 2011
This is my first DSLR, having wanted one for ages, but not being sure what was best to go for (so I can't compare to previously owned dslr's)Having used point and shoot compacts for years I've found this pretty easy to get used to and handle - it has a built in feature guide which you can turn off once you are familiar with settings and features, but have found it helpful whilst finding my way around it. I like that it can take a good range of Canon lenses (EF/EF-S), so I'm not limited. Canon, is also a brand I would trust for quality. I recently took it to an evening 'light festival' to trial it in dark conditions. I have lots to learn about photography, still being a beginner but I got some very pleasing results, with significanty less noise than I have ever experienced with various iso/night settings on my compacts, such as a Panasonc Lumix. The camera feels solid enough when handling and looks fine to me (some feel it could look more expensive) Its not too bulky or weighty to carry with you. I've found my battery life to be excellent, the camera quick and responsive when taking lots of images in a short time scale. Overall I've enjoyed a taking clear, sharp,images (probably thanks to the image stabilization) in a wide variety of settings and subjects, achieveing pleasing results, considering I'm still getting to grips with using a more technical camera and I am looking forward to enjoying it further. I've currently only got the EF-S 18mm-55mm lense but have still found it to be a very versatile lense.
on 2 August 2011
This is a great low noise sensor for astrophotography.

Sure it is an APS-C sensor and cheaper made than a full frame 35mm but it also costs a lot less :)

For it's price, the sensor has very low noise which is a must for long dark exposures.

As with all sensors, if you see any hot pixels (take a pic with the lens cap on with long exposure), just perform a manual clean cycle in the menu for 60 seconds and it will remap them out easily.

Great camera for a cheap price for astrophotography or an entry level DSLR.

I also recommend a CIR-PL and UVA or Skylight filter for daytime usage to protect the lens without the lenscap.