4.0 out of 5 stars Backwards or forward?
Published on 31 Dec 2003 by Giovanni Guarnieri

1.0 out of 5 stars a sad way to exit
"I remember them when they were a heavy metal band" is probably the lamest review ever, but it's true, and would be enough here.
After the colossal "Judgement", many of the hard rockin' fans that followed from the aggressive "Silent Enigma" and before, were increasingly disappointed with the quality of Anathema's output. Those who latched on to the "Eternity" record...
Published on 4 Feb 2005 by Behan

4.0 out of 5 stars Backwards or forward?, 31 Dec 2003
Giovanni Guarnieri (Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Natural Disaster (Audio CD)
The doom merchants from Liverpool are back with another serving of angst. And what a good serving this is! The album seems to point towards two different directions: new sounds and old tradition. Some tracks remind me distinctively of the pre-Judgement/post death metal era, whilst others are clearly Radiohead's A Kid in style. The marks of greatness are still all there, though, and songs like Are you there, Natural Disaster and Flying are as beautiful as ever. The final, epic Violence (10 minutes long) could have been developed better, maybe with the addition of vocals, but nobody is perfect...
To cap it all: an unexpected album and a surprise. If you are an Anathema fan, you will enjoy it very much; if this is your first encounter with the Cavanagh brothers, you will be tantalized and hypnotized. Shame I missed their live gig in London...

5.0 out of 5 stars Too damn good, 11 May 2004
First off why was there nothing anywhere to say these guys were back. I thought they had finished, that's why I am so late writing this review, as I only found it was out a couple of days ago.
Anyway never mind that, the important thing is that one of the greatest bands to have ever graced this country is back, and with their best work yet in my opinion. Not even on the what I thought to be unsurpasseable Alternative 4 did they scale the musical heights of greatness that this album exceeds. Yet alas, it seems blatantly apparent that musical quality is not the requirement needed to achieve world success. I mean these guys form part of an elite in modern music, along with Katatonia, Pain of salvation, Opeth, Paradise Lost and Porcupine Tree yet they are all overlooked by the press( and I ain't excluding one single magazine here)in favour of souless, made for the masses rubbish like the Darkness and particularly annoyingingly, all this emo-core nonsense. More like an excuse to turn hardcore, another form of music I take an interest in, into pop music. Yet this is what they are all talking about. Well guess what I'm gonna stick with the music that my heart tells me to listen to, an example of that being the life-affirmingly good A Natural Disaster.
First off let me say that there is something truly special about this album, a similar feeling one gets when listening to dark side of the moon(Pink Floyd),Last fair deal gone down(Katatonia, who are criminally underlooked, surprise surprise), Grace(Jeff Buckley), Morningrise(Opeth),Remedy lane(Pain of salvation) or Dranconian times(Paradise Lost). In other words this is music that leaves you questioning how could such beauty and emotion be created through music. To me this is their deepest and most emotionally tragic of all their albums. Take for instance 'Are you there' which is a song that to me speaks about the pain of death and losing someone close to you. If I ahd to say my standout track I'd go for electricity which has one the most powerful piano rythym's that I've heard. Also look out for 'Pulled under at 20000 meters a second' which is one for the eeriest tracks the band have ever written.
All in all I think this is one the best albums I've ever heard and I think it's a tragedy of music that they have been ignored for so long and sadly I think that's the way it will continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Mackrel, Anathema out do themselves!, 28 Dec 2003
From start to finish, your thinking, why the hell aren't this band massive! They are our times Pink Floyd! They are our centurys thinking mans band. Forget Elbow, Coldplay, Travis and all that commercial aldult alternative commercial tripe that we're fed every day by the mainstream culutre that tell us what we should like. BE BRAVE! Step out from the cold and into the light! Make this band what they should be, MASSIVE! A british band worthy of putting into the same catagory as our greatest bands.
Classic song writting, thought provoking lyrics, emotional singing. If your put off by their metal influenced past, don't be. They have travelled some distance down the song writting road since they wrote their debut album for their Metal label Peaceville, when they were 16!!!
Years of touring, many many albums under their belt, and personal tragedy make this album, a beautiful reflecive, coffee and cigar moment.
As you can tell I like it! =)
It's about time NME, MTV2, Kerrang, Rock Sound, Mojo, Q and the like all took notice of this band. It would be a tragedy if ever they broke up, and became a cult band all too late!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Disastrous About This Album, 23 Mar 2004
Dr. D. B. Sillars - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Whereas earlier albums like “A Fine A Day to Exit”, “Judgement” and “Alternative 4” explored English melancholy from a hard edged, guitar driven perspective, this album sees Anathema using a more lush, electronic approach. There are nods to Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd circa Animals, Jeff Buckley on “Flying” and even Portishead on the title track, but the album has plenty of its own unique style and mood. There is a beautiful sadness and discomfiting edginess to the songs which sucks you into the moody, atmospheric arrangements. This is a very modern rock album and one which deserves to be heard and gain Anathema a much wider audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking, 28 Feb 2004
Are you a Pink Floyd Fan? Sick and tired of waiting for there next album? Ive got an idea for you. Check out Anathema. They are a metal band, yes METAL band. They write amazing songs and music. Its so obvious they adore Pink Floyd. I gotta say this, why do you want this band in NME and MTV2. This band is way beyond any that are in the mag, and on that channel. Can you see them on Gonzo i dont think so. I believe some bands should be left for people who love music enough to search for it. Anathema are for those kind of people. I cant find words to describe this band they are just absolutely amazing. If you ever get the chance see them live. If any body in the band is reading this please play a show its been to long!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought it could not get any better.....?, 29 Nov 2003
This review is from: A Natural Disaster (Audio CD)
WOW!!!! What an excellent album from England finest purveyors of sorrow.From the opening song right up to the amazing instrumental ending,A Natural Disaster ranks right up there with Alternative 4 as their best works.Strong,sorrowful,melodic and melancholy,this album has it all.A far cry from early efforts such as Pentecost and A Silent Enigma,Anathema have matured and keep getting stronger.10 songs to listen to with the lights out and the candles burning.Well done boys.The only downpoint is that I tore the case trying to get the inlay card out.Brilliant,buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, 28 Oct 2003
I have never imagined that something could sounds like this... Anathema has definitly reached the perfection with this album. Melancholy, sorrow, hope, LIFE... classic Anathema... Just Perfect

4.0 out of 5 stars A Natural Disaster., 31 Mar 2009
This review is from: A Natural Disaster (Audio CD)
The Liverpudlian outfit that has spread itself across a fair amount of the metal scene and is now touching on the rock scene.

The beauty of Anathema doesn't lie within their music as such. It's the very simplistic idea that their music, throughout their career, is extremely accessible. Even when Anathema heralded the old doom style that enthralled not only a nation, but a sea of fans worldwide, it was accessible. One could quite easily tap into the idea of Anathema's music because it is just so inviting. Whether Anathema were playing doom in it`s coldest most distant form, or this brand of mellow, but sorrowful atmospheric rock as it is tagged, was rather irrelevant. No matter what the genre, Anathema, especially in relation to their lyrical themes, were easy to grasp even on first listen. Though there may be a simplistic side to this British band, the emotion behind it is indeed very complex.

Their music, especially again in terms of lyrics, is universal. The pain and suffering that flows from the minds down to the hands and further more on to the instruments is universal. I've never actually met anyone who couldn't relate to what the band sing about. The lyrics, although never usually of great importance to me, are significant when it comes to Anathema. Although I'm certain the idea behind their lyrical themes could be expressed entirely through the instrumental side of their game, the lyrics still hold an important role, especially in terms of the audience and establishing a connection with them, which is again, what makes this brand of music so accessible. If we take a look at the lyrics, in their entirety of the title track `A Natural Disaster', we can clearly see the universal message behind their music. Most of us have experienced losing someone, whether it's due to death or otherwise. The universal nature of their lyrics is smart. It's a very powerful tool in terms of marketing your music if you can successfully manage to draw an audience in and relate to them understand with what you're singing about:

"It's been a long, cold winter without you
I've been crying on the inside
Over you
So life turned away
It's been a long, cold winter
Since that day..
And it's hard to find, hard to find, hard to find the strength now
but I try
And I don't wanna, don't wanna, don't wanna, don't wanna to speak now
of what's gone by

Cause no matter what I say, no matter what I do
I can't change what happened, can't change what happened
No matter what I say, no matter what I do
Can't change what happened, can't change what happened
no matter what I say, no matter what I do
Can't change what happened, can't change what happened
No, no, can't change
You've just slipped through my fingers
And now I feel so ashamed
and I've paid."

Surprisingly, my understanding of the lyrics spans over the entire album, not just one or two songs. Fortunately, Anathema have incorporated new methods into their music which makes it appeal to a larger fan base, and the existing fan base even more. The use of female vocals, for example, is a brilliant marketing tool. Anathema's song writing is regarded as some of the best for this type of music and one can certainly see why. With the inclusion of elements like female vocals, the mellow aspect of the music is significantly enhanced as the softer female voice adds a new dimension to the atmospheric qualities of this record. Subtle and sultry is what they are. It's aspects like this that make Anathema a winner. Melancholic pianos, marvellous female vocals and masterful acoustics. Anathema are brilliant at what they do and they do it with such ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest british band., 3 Feb 2004
mr z kanaa (Beconside, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
if you havent bought this album what are you Waiting for. Anathema is an always changing ban and they just keep getting better and better. And I agree its time MTV NME and the rest of the music world gave these guys the credit they deserve. this is a great album buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Dec 2014
Very goed!

Natural Disaster [VINYL]
Natural Disaster [VINYL] by Anathema (Vinyl - 2011)