on 7 April 2011
i own the zx3. so when kodak said they where bringing out another waterproof camera with macro i couldnt wait to see what it was like.
it is alot like all the other kodak camcorders. it records in the following:
WVGA, 720p 30 and 60 FPS, 1080p
it also has a 5 megapixel camera option on it.
it has 4 extra colour effects which are good if the mood strikes.
normal, High Saturation, 70's film, Black and white and Sepia
it also has the glare shield which the zx3 has. the difference with the zx5 is it has a sensor which change's the screen automaticaly. i have tried it and it works very well.
i found the low light to be better than the zx3. the 60fps low light was really good.
it has an internal battery which some people dont like. i thought it would be a problem to but after having the zx5 for nearly a week i havent even noticed the internal battery.
you can record 2 hours and 35 mins in 720p at 30fps. which is better than the zx3.
you can edit the video on the camera its self and then press the share button to upload it on to facebook, youtube and other sites. you also have the arcsoft software that comes with the camera.
the zx5 has water correction which i would ashume works the same as the H20 setting on the zx3. the underwater video is a lot better than the zx3. it is very clear and the autofocus works very well underwater.
here is some underwater tests using both cameras:

[...]
some people have said about the zx5 having bad audio. i have had a lot of pocket HD camcorders and some of them had bad sound others have had really good sound. to me the sound is ok. i would admit that the zx3 has slightly better sound but to me the zx5's sound is ok.
here is a sound test which was done. i dont think the sound is that bad.

[...]
kodak have said that the zx3 will be discountinued soon. which means that the zx5 will take its place. i think that the zx5 has a lot to offer. the zx3 has some huge shoes to fill but it also has had its issues to.
the only issues i have found so far are that there is a background noise when using the camera underwater. also sometimes when you move the camera infront of the sun you get a bronze flash on the screen. some times the autofocus tries to focus behind you when there is nothing there. its not as bad as the sony bloggie cm5 but it is there.
i do like the zx5 and i have really enjoyed using it. i dont find the sound an issue and having used the zx5 for nearly a week i havent had any problems with the internal battey.
at the end of the day you have to make up your mind what you want and what camcorder fits those needs.
here are some pros and cons for the zx3 and zx5:
ZX3 Pros:

Cheaper. better sound. removable battery.

Cons:

soon to be discontinued. zoom has problem. low light is grainy. some have green pixels in low light. low light not so good. records 1 hour and 20mins per charge

ZX5 Pros:

has macro. has auto focus. better underwater video capture. battery records 2 and a half hours per charge. zoom is better. video quality is better. has special colour effects. low light is better. its dust proof, water proof and shock proof.

Cons:

slight background noise when underwater. bronze flash sometimes on sunny days. autofocus can sometimes jump. which means it goes out of focus for a couple of seconds.

so there you go. i really like my zx5 and i think i will be using it alot more than the old zx3. i hope this has helped.
for more videos and reviews check out Chrisc74 on youtube.
1111 comments|291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2011
Fantastic Video Camera but does not work with Class 10 SDHC Memory Cards. After frustrating time on the Phone to Kodak they admitted that it does not work with Class 10 SDHC Cards. Firmware upgrade may resolve this issue later when its available. Their documentation states Class 4 or higher, in the enclosed documentation and on their website, as class 10 is higher than class 4 I assumed that it would be OK. But evidently not. Kodak say that it will work with Class 6 and 8 with no known issues. Thought I would play safe and have purchased 2 off 16G Class 4 Cards and they work fine. Each card gives just over 2.5 hrs of 1080p video. Great little Video Camera but just be aware of the SDHC Card issues mentioned.
99 comments|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2011
I bought this fantastic little camera just for a second camcorder to my main camera to get some extra angles and for some underwater footage.
Being so tiny and so cheap I wasn't expecting anything too great, however I was very pleasantly surprised!
The great thing about this camera is it's so tiny - about the size of a mobile phone, that you can just slip it in your pocket to take it anywhere, ready to capture that magic moment!
It has a nice feeling rubberised finish which gives it a good grip and a nice quality feel.
It also has a standard sized tripod mount on the base which comes in very handy.
Despite its small lens the video results are very impressive, colour reproduction is excellent and picture quality crisp and clear, even in low light conditions the picture remains pretty good without being excessively grainy.
Not had any problems using underwater either, although the mic does go a bit muffled, but that's understandable!
All in all if you're looking for a cheap go anywhere camcorder with great picture quality, that has the bonus of being sea and sand proof look no further!
Colour Name: Aqua|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used to own a Kodak Zi8, which shot good video but felt horrible and plasticky. The PlaySport Zx5 has no such problem: it feels nice and solid, and it should do seeing as it's touted as being shockproof, waterproof and dustproof. Not having to worry about its delicacy is undoubtedly one of the Zx5's principal selling points.

Image stabilisation has been greatly improved compared to the Zi8, and the camera's connection ports/SD card slot (32GB max) are easy to access despite the need to keep them waterproof. There's on-board video editing (although this is limited to trimming the start and end of videos) and some nice additions such as photographic effects (`70s film, sepia, etc.), underwater correction and automatic adjustment of the screen according to ambient light conditions. As with most Kodak video cameras, a (latest spec) HDMI cable is included in the box, making it quick and easy to play back videos on a TV. A dedicated share button allows you to send videos to YouTube and photos to Flickr, Facebook, Twitter or a Kodak Pulse frame, although, since this is done via a computer, it's probably just as easy to do it from your computer anyway.

One annoyance is the main control used for navigating menus, adjusting volume and zooming, which consists of a circular "rim" with four concave buttons down to the central start/stop/select button. The concave buttons are awkward to press, there's no proper division between them, making it easy to press the wrong one, and they give out a clicking sound if you don't press them gently enough. The first video I shot was marred by loud clicking noises coming from the button as I tested out the zoom. At first I thought that maybe the Zx5's waterproof nature was responsible for such a design, but the other buttons appear to be fairly standard and are easy to use so I doubt it.

For me, the perfect video camera would have a bigger screen and optical zoom but, for its intended purpose as a slip-in-the-pocket point-and-shooter robust enough for multiple shooting situations, the PlaySport Zx5 is pretty nice.
on 11 July 2012
I purchased a Kodak Playsport Zx5 Video Camera from amazon last week as we had a few important events coming up. Firstly at the weekend my daughter had her first swimming class and it would be a great opportunity to get some videos. Also my wife was due with the birth of my son and i wanted to get some important moments from the event.
The first morning i tested the video camera, we took some videos in the house and the camera took some pictures and videos then i noticed that it would not turn on or off. I pressed the reset button and when we next turned it back on, some of the pictures were missing. I thought that i would give it a chance, formatted the card and started again.
That night I took a lovely video of my daughter, over 7 minutes. When it came time to download the video, it would not export, and i was also unable to view it on the camera. In fact all 5 videos that I had taken would not play on the camera and were corrupt.
The next day, after a full reboot of the camera and a further format of the card, followed by using my macbookpro rather than the old white macbook, i thought i would try once more. I also checked for a firmware update to see if these issues were rectified and despite many similar storys online, no firmware has been released since 2011. As i had no choice but to use the camera as my wife went in to labour that night, i hoped that the teething troubles had gone.
This was not the case and over half the videos i took on the night and the day after my son's birth are unreadable. Some are able to be displayed on the camera, some not. None are exportable with iphoto or the bundled software. Massively disappointed, i organised a returns label to amazon. While putting it in the box i noticed a large leaflet for me to stop and contact kodak before i return the item.
I emailed Kodak who replied to me saying that as I bought it on amazon, I may as well return it to them. Not a great apology or voucher offering for all the hassle their cack product had caused me. So with no other option I returned it to amazon. I got a full refund.
The product, was designed with excellence and intelligence. It's underwater performance was amazing and all the videos I made with it were beautiful. Indoor ones were a little grainy at times and you have to be aware of your positioning and sources of light, but if this product was not let down by the poor quality software it would have been amazing. I have given it two stars because I hope my issues are fairly infrequent occuring amongst all the cameras out there, however with the other reviews of people having the same issues as i had, it makes me wonder if it not a wider problem.

I am not sure what you could do in my case as this camera is pretty useless as a camera, but i thought i should let you know. I love the idea, i love the form factor, but i hate being let down.
on 8 November 2011
We bought the Playsport Zx3 last year. We took it all over the world in sea water, fresh water, swimming pools and in a backpack across Kenya for a month (dusty, cold on the mountains). The only weak point was the poor image stabiliser. When Kodak launched the Zx5 with improved image stabilisation we bought one to replace our old faithful Zx3. The good news is that the stabiliser is much better - The bad news is that the camera locks up requiring a hardware reset (using a pen tip via a recessed reset button next tot he USB port). The USB and SD card ports have hinged covers. These are locked by sliding catches. During our first trip with the Zx5 the hatch locks seized up. We had to use a knife to force the catch open in order to retrieve our memory card. The catches on the Zx3 never did this. Kodak must have specified materials that are not up to the job. The freezing up problem is an annoyance but the two problems combined make the camera unfit for purpose because you cannot get in the thing to push the reset button. We have sent it back to Amazon and are awaiting a credit. It's a shame because I really did enjoy using the otherwise great Zx5.
on 18 November 2012
I bought this camera as i wanted a durable and most of all water proof camerca for my 6 month season working in Menorca as a holiday rep. At first everything about the camera seemed great, it looked good and worked well. providing me with some excellent pictures which i transfered onto my laptop. However after about a month the two access panels at each side became really stiff and hard to open, to make it easier i lubricated them with a little cooking oil.. prblem solved i thought, even though this should of never happened after kodak being a well known and high quality camera company an'all.... then around a month later i had the camera in our pool it, it was submereged no more than a foot or 30cm aprox. When all of a sudden the screen went white and the camera turend off. I immediatley took the camera out the pool, then left it on a table outside. Arounf 5 mins later i could see condensation in the screen! Great my so called water proof camera had leaked, nice one kodak. I tried drying it out in the sun, but it didn'y work. Several months later i returend back to the uk, having used the camera on my phone the whole season.... I emailed kodak several times with no response other than id sent them an email in the wrong format, which was just not true.. I was getting no where, so i looked around on kodak's website until eventually found something about my camera's warranty. it said that my camera was no egible for a warranty repair if it had been water damaged! which is crazy considering it supposed to be waterproof, therefore im being punished for the products poor build quality. It also said that i had to pay £40 to get it fixed! All in all, the whole thing has been an absoulute joke, kodak has very poor customer service and its products are lacking quality. I dont usually write reviews but i spent over £100 on the camera and some accesories to go with it, and im left with a broekn camera and bitterly dissapointed. So in conclusion dont bother buying this piece of junk....
on 21 July 2011
I have now had two of Zx5 cameras (one red and one black) which both suffered from exactly the same 'freezing' problem which required the camera to be reset using a pin/paperclip. Unfortunately the last one also suffered from the catches on the memory card and charging/reset covers seizing up such that I could no longer open and reset the camera, which left the only option to let it discharge itself and to return it for a refund - there is no chance I would try another...

Real shame as I loved the style, speed of start up, functionality and quality of the photos and videos taken. I would happily have written a 5 star review, but unfortunately, what is the point of a good camera if it is totally unreliable.
55 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2011
I was pretty sceptical buying this as a few people seem to have left very damming product reports on this item with jamming, non recognition of sdhc cards, card type suseptability, freezing, needing resets etc, etc.
However, I purchased a decent SDHC card (type 6) with it, and has been faultless in every respect - charged quickly, fully waterproof (sea and pool and river), looks really funky (in green!), gave decent battery life and to be honest, for a bloggie, I cant rate it highly enough. Obviously it isnt a top-of-the-range sony broadcast camcorder, but for holiday/sport stuff its great, and does exactly what Kodak claim. I definately would recommend this HD camcorder.
on 27 June 2011
what can I say,,... I bought it almost 2 months ago and,..
-it's very simple to use
-a good price/quality
-good pictures and video at full 1080p
-not the best when recording with very poor light, but good enought for what I need.
-waterproof - no problems so far (touch wood) and very good underwater pool pictures
-advise - whach youtube test videos on this camera - it has very good reviews (it helps to make up your mind)

Sieben

New Update
1,5 years later - waterproof was a problem and the camera stop working - with no warranty
Just one more annoying factor - there is no continuity in your videos, everytime that you stop recording the camera breaks the video into a new file. Hard to watch on tv without having to edit first in your pc. (no software is given)
Review to 2 stars