4.0 out of 5 stars Good-value camera
Published on 25 Feb 2012 by Avid reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Video recording sometimes crashes the camera
I have owned this camera for around four months and for a while I thought overall it was a good camera for the money.

However, in this time the video recording function has crashed a few times, all the controls are locked up and the battery needs to be removed. It can be very frustrating when you have lost a piece of video that cannot be replaced...
Published on 24 April 2012 by Desert Penguin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good-value camera, 25 Feb 2012
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kodak EasyShare M583 Digital Still Camera - Black (14MP, 8x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
My previous camera was a Kodak Easyshare (C series). I was really happy with it, and the photos that I took with, so I was looking to upgrade it with another Kodak. What I was looking for was a modern re-chargeable lithium battery (my previous model had AA batteries) and better zoom (my previous had 3x optical, this has 8x), if it wasn't for these features I would have kept the old one as I was very happy with it. This newer Kodak satisfied both of my main requirements, plus a few others that I didn't know I had!!!

The stored device is a micro SD card, the really tiny kind, and you have to buy this separately. I bought an 8gb card, and (even at the maximum 14megapixel setting of the camera) this will hold between 2000 and 3000 photos! It is very easy to alter the megapixel setting if required (I needed to do this as Ebay will only allow you to upload something like 7 megapixel photos)and at that setting you can hold almost twice the number of settings. The menus are very easy to use so its no problem switching settings as often as you want.

You can download your photos to your PC/laptop using the cable provided, but I like to use a little USB card reader, which slots into the USB port. These readers usually take the larger, original SD cards (which are easier to handle), so if you want to do this, you can get a micro card converter. Basically, the tiny little micro card slots into a fake larger SD card which fits into the USB card reader. Dead easy.

The real-time viewing screen is bigger that on my previous camera, and I have had to lose the traditional "eye-hole" viewer that I was used to, but this model is a lot smaller and lighter. Gone is the little dial on top which was used to change settings (eg night, action etc) and now everything is done through a combination 3 little buttons and the easy-to-use menu which is displayed on the viewing screen.

The menus also include a number of image options (3 different colour, monochrome, sepia) which are very quick to select.

Overall, I am very pleased with the camera, and which the value it offers for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little camera, 1 July 2012
R. Dowe "lakenham rod" (NORWICH, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I have carried around camera bags full of lenses for thirty years until the digital age started, thought 2 megapixels was the best thing ever, carried a bridge camera around for another few years until I decided that if it did,nt fit into my pocket then I would,nt bother, this little gem fits the bill perfectly, compact enough to be pocket size but large enough to hold steady for taking pictures, the first decent digital camera I bought was a Kodak ( 4 megapixels ) for a once in a lifetime holiday to India and the pictures taken still take some beating and have stayed with Kodak ever since because of their simplicity and the M583 is no exception, although with many more toys it is still simple to use with all the buttons close together on the back of the camera, the large screen is bright enough to see most of the time but as with all cameras without a viewfinder is difficult in really bright conditions, several people have commented on the closeness of the instant video button but I have sausages for fingers and have only had this problem once,
The lens is pretty good with no distortion in the corners of the pictures and I use the 16,9 setting so the picture will fit the T.V screen, the zoom is very good until it gets into the digital range and then as with all digital zooms is almost useless, the reason I bought the camera was the fact that it was compact and with a quite powerful zoom to give me that extra little bit of range for pictures that I would only have caught with a much larger camera,
I don,t know about the easyshare features as I have not used them, I always download my pictures straight from the memory card,
All in all for the price paid the camera is very good value for money, I must be pleased because I have ordered another for my partner so even she will be able to take a decent picture, a brilliant little camera, well made and takes stunning pictures and will fit in your pocket, what more could anyone want.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely little camera, 20 May 2012
Bought this camera about 2 months ago and am very happy with it. The 8 x zoom is amazing, as is the fact that all settings have little pictures instead of symbols, which makes it faster to use than trying to remember which symbol you need at any given time. As you may guess, I am not a photographer, just a point and shoot, which makes this camera ideal. The photos come out lovely and clear. I haven't used the share button as yet so cannot comment on how easy or hard this may be. For me, a great little camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Video recording sometimes crashes the camera, 24 April 2012

Since this is such a fundamental problem I have given it one star, even though this has only happened a few times, it is a pretty major fault.

The easy share function was never really that useful. The software that is necessary was not really up to standard.

The zoom function is a very good for a camera of this price. However, the camera cannot zoom once video recording has been started, any zooming is digital and therefore loses quality pretty rapidly.

I think I will try the Sony DSCHX9VB

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little camera, 31 Jan 2014
Arrived on the date stated Brilliant camera all I wanted and more will recommend this site to family and friend's

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 25 Nov 2013
G. Hilsdon - See all my reviews
Really really REALLY happy with this camera - brought it just as a family camera and have taken some really impressive pictures with it - probably the best ever! Produces pictures which are really vibrant. A few picky points would be that I haven't learnt that there is a way to stop the pictures coming up after taking them which means that taking a number of pictures quickly doesnt really happen and response can be a bit on the slow side, also battery runs down quicker than it would if the pictures didnt come up between each shot. Would definitely recommend this item to others though. Well knoiwn name and brought on here as by far the best price for this camera that I could find!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera ever!, 28 Mar 2013
I absolutely love this camera! It takes perfect pictures with no blurriness as long as you put it on the right setting. The special features are amazing, I particularly love the photo booth mode! Been dropped a few times but still works perfectly. Video quality is acceptable, though I wouldn't recommend it if you're working on some big movie production, it's ideal for home videos. All-in-all a good camera and I'm glad I bought it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughters delight, 3 July 2012
My daughter ,who is as avid a photographer as one could expect for a 13 year old is absolutely thrilled with the quality, clarity and versatility of the camera. Delivery was a bit slower than hoped for but was probably due to the double holiday for diamond jubilee.
Overall,a good buy and happy with the product and service.

4.0 out of 5 stars hand strap bad design, 23 Jun 2012
This is my 4th Kodak digital camera and on the whole I am quite pleased with it. I am used to a viewfinder and found the on-screen display a little awkward at first, especially in the bright daylight. However, the biggest problem with this camera is the socket provided to instal the hand strap. I spent 30mins trying to feed it through the impossibly small holes. It would be better if Kodak installed the handle at the time of manufacture. My previous cameras had raised sections & the handle just fed through, this camera has 2 shallow slots flush with the side of the camera. It took my young work colleague 20mins to insert.

4.0 out of 5 stars KODAK M583 DIGITAL CAMERA, 3 Aug 2011
JUST RECEIVED MY KODAK M583 DIGITAL CAMERA. AMAZON CAMERA INFO SAYS- "BATTERY 1 9V BATTERY REQUIRED". a battery is supplied WITH the camera. Amazon product features also say that the card is a SD/SDHC. THE CARD THE CAMERA NEEDS IS A MICRO SD/SDHC.Amazon also offer a bundle containing the camera a SANDISK SDHC 8GB card and a card reader, but the card will NOT FIT the camera.I ORDERED 2 EXTRA BATTERIES THINKING THE CAMERA HAD NONE WITH IT. I NOW NEED TO ORDER A MICRO CARD. OTHER THAN THAT I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE CAMERA.