on 21 April 2012
I looked at other reviews and saw that the problems look to have being edited out.
Kindle fire allows colour pictures to be view and with touch screens it is easier to use. Delphi Classics editions have a full output of available works. It is great value for money. Short stories are llsted by date and in a to z order.
on 12 February 2012
My first purchase for my new Kindle and I must admit that I am generally very pleased with it.
I already own most of the major novels and bought this mostly for the tales,which are hard (and very expensive!) to get hold of.
I have not yet read all the tales but have found a slight problem trying to find "The Real Thing". The link on the contents page leads to a tale headed "The Real Thing" but this turns out to be a quite different story,actually "In the Cage",which is also at the end of it's own link.
Some of the text has some very strange hyphenation,but not so that it really distracts from the reading experience.
As another reviewer has previously mentioned it would be nice to know which text was used,but that is a small quibble.
All in all,for the price paid, I cannot complain and will be buying more Delphi e-books soon.
on 14 July 2012
I bought this mainly for the short stories and some of the rarer novels. My main quibble is with the formatting. "Watch and Ward" and "Confidence" were fine, "The Reverberator" suffered from the block-capitals-instead-of-italics problem noticed with other Delphi editions, which gives the unJamesian impression the characters are shouting at each other, and "The Other House" was such a mess as to be unreadable. So far I've only scratched the surface of this enormous collection, but the rule seems to be that the more obscure texts are the ones most likely to contain errors. You get a lot for your money, but the standard of presentation is inconsistent.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2014
Although I can't feel passionate about HJ, I like him, chiefly because he introduces one to fresh vocabulary, including European languages. The endings of his novels are often indeterminate, probably the result of a passive nature. Even so, his characters are interesting, and his uper-class milieux dominated by repressive propriety. If you have an ambition to write, HJ's disciplined writing would benefit you without overwhelming you for, whatever aridity you find in him, he will leave you strangely enhanced for the scribblers' trade.
on 3 April 2014
Superb writing - so pleased to have finally started reading Henry James. What triggered it? I saw an excellent film, What Maisie Knew, based on a Henry James book. The film is about parents who use their small child as ammunition to hurt each other with complete disregard for her feelings & welfare. It is so relevant to today so I wanted to read the book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm a huge Henry James fan, and the idea of having (almost) all of his works on my iPhone was tempting. But many of these texts show that they weren't even proofread. The typo of scan-os that show up are the most basic. This should not be sold in this state. I know it's not expensive, but save your money.
on 30 March 2013
There are thousands of words here, and many many novels. I haven't started reading them yet, and if I ever get round to reading the lot then I'll send you a review - probably in about 50 years time. Meanwhile it's a comfort to know they're safe in my Kindle.
on 22 November 2015
Brilliant product. Will purchase again. Safe packing and prompt delivery.
on 6 July 2012
I would give this no stars were it possible. Reading through the Tales of Henry James, some of them, such as "A Problem", are so full of ghastly errors and peculiar signs instead of letters, that one cannot make sense of them. Just try reading that one story alone. I guess the photographic method of reproduction has taken over with ridiculous results. Other stories have "it's" instead of the possessive "its" throughtout. I won't go on. This is not an edition to be taken seriously. It does not merit the title of "edition" because it is unedited.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2011
Even if all you want is a "good read", you had better avoid this edition, which is cobbled together with barely identified texts and carelessly chosen photos. James carefully revised many of his texts between their first periodical appearance and their final book productions; the earlier texts received the greatest revisions, which were often substantial. None of this is indicated and in fact, for the Portrait of a Lady, you get a snapshot of the first page of the early periodical (Atlantic Monthly) and then the following text, very much revised, of the much, much later New York Edition. For the Golden Bowl, you get a photo of the cover of the English book publication of -- !! The Wings of the Dove !! -- and a non-descript snapshot of an unidentified person in a casual T-shirt in front of what is, in the background, probably Lamb House in Rye; this supposedly is a help for identifying The Golden Bowl. A dog's dinner.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse