4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!
`The Story Of The Trapp Family Singers' spans roughly the quarter century from the mid 1920s up to the end of the 1940s and is divided into 2 parts. Part 1 [the first 110 pages or so] roughly covers the period between Maria leaving Nonnberg monastery to join the Trapp family and closing with the momentous decision to leave Austria at the outbreak of war, incorporating her...
Published on 15 Jan 2009 by Joolz

3.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and heartwarming.
I found this book so heart warming and lovingly crafted. It is a definite feel good book. There are occasional moments which are a little tedious but this is easily dismissed by the wonderful passages. This book made me laugh and cry and made me feel so blessed in life! Deserves to be read -all the more wonderful because it is a true story!
Published 21 months ago by Hermione

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational - much better than the movie, 5 Nov 2011
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I had waited to read this book for several years and was overjoyed to finally get a copy. This book is inspirational, well written, funny but conveys such a depth of examplary living that I felt humbled but at the same time priveldged to have read this book.

The writing style is witty with several anecdotes that will leave you in stitches. This book is better than both movies that it inspired - 'The Von Trapp family and The Von trapp in America', the original German film and the universally acclaimed best musical 'The Sound of Music'. Maria Von Trapp was an exceptional and inspirational human being whose unwavering trust in the Almighty God, shone through like a beacon of hope for all around her. Recognising that our task as human beings dwelling far away from our origin is to find out the Will of God and to do it wholeheartedly; bound by their fervent trust in God, the Von Trapps led a life of implicit trust in the Almighty Father and his laws; Especially at the most trying times in their earthly experiences, irrespective of what difficulties they faced, even when they did not know where their next meal will come from, their childlike trust in the Will of God and their striving to do that know that Will and to do it wholeheartedly saw them through everything. I found the accounts of their lives, joyful, inspiring and exemplary. As the saying goes, 'The family that prays together stays together.' Their family had the best foundation, any wonder that they took the world by storm, inspiring so many with their music? I am so glad to have finally read this book and would recommend it in a heart beat as one of the best inspirational books of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative read, 4 May 2011
Kathleen S. Kenyon (South Yorkshire,England) - See all my reviews
As I am about to partake in the musical I thought I would prepare myself with a little insight . Very informative, very interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 19 July 2014
This review is from: The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (Kindle Edition)
I now need to see the doom again as I fear so much was left out/altered.... you are what you make of the situation around you... not what the situation is...

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be a traditional reading requirement, of excellence., 27 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This book tells the real story of the Trapp Family Choir, as it started, and ended, the beginning(first couple pages) was slow but picked up speed rappedly, the further you got , the better it got. This intriging nove I would recommend for all adults, and mature children(as I am 10).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 16 Mar 1999
By A Customer
The Sound of Music is my favourite film I have seen it at least 25 times. But when I read the real story I liked it more. I think Maria was a great woman who kept the family together with her love. It was the most important thing for her. When I am sad and fed up with all the things around me I always read the book /of course only parts of it/ and after reading I always feel better. It is One Of My Favourite Things! I would recommend to everybody to read it. It is about love and history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Entertaining, But Incomplete, 24 May 1999
By A Customer
It's been a while since I've read this book, and I realize now that Maria Von Trapp wrote it in the style of an earlier time in which the main characters look unfailingly noble. While we can admire the family's stand against the Nazis, the details that have been left out, which were recently revealed by A&E's "Biography" make them more human and realistic. For in reality, we learn that Maria was the stern, tempermental, dictatorial one and the Captain the more mild mannered one, and that it was against Maria whom the children had to fight for their independance when they wanted lives outside the singing group. The A&E version also gives a more detailed account of Maria's harsh childhood, that she hadn't always been so religious and in fact had been an atheist at one point, her stepchildren's true feelings about accepting her into the family, and the way Maria took her husband for granted. Her account of their lives resulted in one of the world's greatest musicals, and is a clear monument to virtue in the world, but as part of a modern audience, I don't mind a touch more reality and humanness to such stories. Without it, they seem a little too lofty and untouchable.

2.0 out of 5 stars My head was bursting, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (Kindle Edition)
This family were to good to be true, my head was throbbing reading about, all the
Singing.and of course they prayed and everything they prayed for they got,I must
Try it .

1.0 out of 5 stars put them in the grinder, 6 May 2012
THE SOUND OF MUSIC....the ONLY FILM wear YOU WANT the nazis to win.I reckon the best bit in this book is wear they all fall in the grinder and are killed horribly.I havent actuly read it.Dear reader.....PLEASE READ SOMTHING ELSE.AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!! sorry..............

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›