5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable
Published on 5 Oct 2012 by Beadee

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but could have done so much more with it.
I enjoyed this book far more than I expected. The world of fine art is not something I know much about, and I had never read this author before.

For the most part, it was well written, the characters were believable, and the writer kept me guessing just about all of the way through.

The only trouble was, the ending was poor in comparison to the rest...
Published 16 months ago by Ali Isaac

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
Wow. A really good read. I loved it partly because many of locations used in the story, I have been to on various occasions so the story was brought to life in my imagination. As in my other reviews I love a bit of fact turned into fiction. The author had done much research into the subject,and I got to a point where I actually began to believe the subject of the story to be true. Believable characters, good plot and it's got a good twist at the end and everyone, well almost everyone lives happily ever after..... kind of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
When I first read the back cover I thought uh-oh this sounds very like the Da Vinci Code. But i was pleasantly surprised and read it in a day. I actually thought it was easier to read than the DVC, which sometimes got bogged down in symbolism and complicated rituals (although I loved that book / hated the film).

The Rembrandt Secret isn't about Freemasons or secret plots. It's just a tale of greed in the art world. Greed and vanity and ego and ambition to a point where so many people have stabbed each other in the back you wonder how anyone is left standing.

Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different title, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Other Rembrandt (Paperback)
This book is the same book as 'The Rembrandt Secret'. It has been titled 'The other Rembrandt' for the American Market.

I discovered this whilst I was trying to find a synopsis for the book. Luckily I did not buy it as I already have 'The Rembrandt Secret' although I am a bit disappointed as I was looking forward to another good read.

When I think about it, the names are too similar to be different stories but I thought I should mention it to avoid others making an error and buying both books which I nearly did.

Which ever copy you buy, you will have a wonderful read as Alex Connor as done an excellent job at creating a really gripping story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, 5 May 2011
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
I don't read often, so when I do I try to choose my books carefully. I'd heard a lot of hype surrounding the book and after reading the reviews I thought I would give it a shot. The book was fantastic and gripping, and also gave insight into the inner working of the art world (quite fascinating really). Seriously recommend you try it. You won't be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read/listen., 23 Mar 2011
G. Morris - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
I listened to the unabridged version read by the author. Not only is Alex Connor an excellent writer but her narrating skills are equally excellent. I listened to this book in two sittings as I just had to know what was coming next. It was a real page turner in the true sense of the word and it wasn't until the very end that was all revealed. I thoroughly recommend this book and am looking forward to her next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but could have done so much more with it., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)

The only trouble was, the ending was poor in comparison to the rest of the story, leaving me feeling a bit flat and disappointed.

Although of all the possible candidates for the villain, the one it turned out to be was the one I least expected. I just think the author could have done so much more with it.

Despite enjoying this book, I did not feel afterwards like rushing out to find more of her work. Shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars A twist in the tale!, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
Alex Connor was a new author to me and I bought having read the book preview. I wasn't disappointed. A gripping plot that kept me turning the pages, I could hardly put it down. Not the villian I thought, very much a twist in the tale but a gripping yarn. I will be looking out for other Alex Connor novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Author’s art passion deftly poured in crime tale of unexpected twists and dark secrets, 21 Mar 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
With ‘The Rembrandt Secret’ written by Alex Connor, the author deftly poured her passion for art history in crime tale of unexpected twists and dark secrets, and after reading it you’ll look Rembrandt and his works in different way.

Owen Zeigler owns a gallery in London. The passion for painting was conveyed to him by his father, but few wrong judgments and the recession, which has crept into all aspects of society including the arts, will bury him in debt. Desperate, he will call his son Marshall asking him for help. Marshall, to help his father in trouble, will visit his longtime friend Samuel Hemmingson who will discover him long kept theory of his father - never revealed secret of the great Rembrandt van Rijn. Marshall, who never been a big fan of art, intrigued by the story of Samuel will go to his father to hear the rest of the story, but will find him murdered.

It becomes apparent that Marshall’s father went into things bigger than himself, and that he paid the secret of the great painter with his life. However, Marshall will learn that his father was not the only person who knows the secret, that some other people close to him knew it as well. And now because Marshall knows it as well he will become prey of those who may not allow the secret to be revealed...

The author skillfully intervened art world in crime story, and her finely knowledge of art history made this work credible and intriguing. Mixing fiction and reality, she shed light on the lesser known facts about Rembrandt's life and revealed closed world of art dealers - "the world with its own rules and punishments".

However, although it is a thriller, Alex Connor has not managed to maintain declining tension in some parts of the novel, but what she has certainly succeeded was the characterization of her protagonists. She exhaustively defined psychological profile for each character, while omitting the physical, leaving it to the imagination of the reader. If one aspect should be single out, the highest quality part of the novel is the unexpected twist at the end that will not leave anyone indifferent.

In conclusion, ‘The Rembrandt Secret’ is a solid thriller that can be recommended for reading, especially for those who share the author's passion for the arts, while those seeking intense action could be a bit disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Paperback)
This is a thriller with a number of different strands;
- a gripping story with action between London, Amsterdam and New York
- an insight into the 21st century art world
- careful historical research into the 17th century artist's life.
This combination of art history and an imaginative story results in a remarkable, memorable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never realised the art world was so cutthroat!, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Rembrandt Secret (Kindle Edition)
I discovered this author through the Amazon links after reading The Sword of Moses, and it has been weeks of absolute delight to discover that all the others by this author are just as absorbing, gripping and moreish.
Kindle was made for someone like me, all those books I bought, read, couldn't keep when I downsized, and now I carry my library of thousands around in my handbag.
Already waiting for the next to come out.

The Rembrandt Secret