5.0 out of 5 stars A well-implemented Kindle newspaper
Obviously, if you don't like the Guardian's centre-left outlook, and are unimpressed by its longstanding journalistic ethos, you'll probably not want to subscribe. But, as with all other UK-based Kindle newspapers, you can have a 14-day trial for free, via Amazon, and judge this version and/or the newspaper itself for youself.

To counter some negative reviews...
Published 24 months ago by Jabez Clegg

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the paper - here's why:
I'm really pleased that I didn't have to pay [] per month and instead gained a free trial since the Kindle edition is nothing like as good as the newspaper and electronically I prefer using the BBC News website or Guardian mobile site to this Kindle edition.

Published on 28 July 2011 by Dr G.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-implemented Kindle newspaper, 28 April 2012
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)

To counter some negative reviews that I've read, be aware that with Amazon you probably shouldn't trial any Kindle subscription if you're using your Kindle as a "stand alone" device, say having bought one in a shop... you'll need to access your online Amazon account to cancel, which can be time-consuming and tricky to do via the Kindle's browser. That is not an issue particular to the Guardian; its an Amazon issue, and I think they need to ensure that you should have a simple "cancel subscription" option, equivalent to the "add to collection" feature when you right-navigate a book's title.

What you get is an advert-free equivalent of the print edition of the newspaper, which will be delivered by Amazon to your Kindle when the paper goes to press (so long as your Kindle can receive it). Like a newspaper, and unlike the Guardian's website, it does not update itself during the day. One advantage of that is that it's on your Kindle, like a book, so you don't need a wifi or mobile phone connection to read it. Having subscribed since last year, I've seen it improve in content and ease of navigation, and find myself able to flick through it to what I want to read first, then back to other items, as I'd do with the 'real' thing.

Personally, I've switched easily from buying the paper to this subscription, and find this format suits me. I like having a virtual morning-paper waiting on my Kindle when I get up, and being able to read it without having to carry a fresh bundle of dead tree around every day, which I'll then need to bin/recycle. The major down-side I've encountered is that you can't use it to wrap up broken glass, although I also sometimes miss having the crosswords to fill in (as far as I can) when I'm being bored.

To be topical, I'm also happy to pay 9.99/month to help ensure we continue to have the high-quality journalism this newspaper supports... as we're now finding out, if it wasn't for the Guardian, it's quite possible that NewsCorp would 100% own Sky, and the Murdochs, the media, the police and our politicians wouldn't be undergoing the scrutiny of the Leveson Inquiry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily navigated, 9 July 2011
Ben Warrington (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
Saturday edition is pretty much replicated in full on the kindle, and finding articles is straightforward: A menu on the left of the screen listing sections, then a menu on the right of the screen listing articles - you can either progress page-by-page through the section or use the navigation key to skip to the next article.

Articles include some photos/illustrations, but not to the detriment of the text.

My one complaint (on day one) is that the weekly quiz in the weekend section is not present, nor the Michael Holden or Mick Bunnage sections in the Guide.

If you are a Guardian reader with a Kindle, I would recommend you experience the 14 day trial - as far as I'm concerned, I'll be sticking with the subscription as I am in awe of the work the Guardian does in exposing establishment miscreants...

Edit: After three issues I'm still impressed, but here is info for prospective buyers: As standard each issue is kept for 7 days and then deleted; if you want to save a particular issue then it can be saved for posterity. Individual articles from each issue can be saved to a separate folder (one which also contains bookmarks and notes inserted in books... room for improvement later on hopefully.)

No further realistic complaints; it would be nice to be able to access cartoons and puzzles but this is restricted by the format/technology: for a one-off (5 second?) download in the morning, it matches what the online BBC news website delivers for most of the day.....

Further edit: Michael Holdens` All Ears column is now included, as is the weekly quiz in the Weekend section. What is odd is that as of 21st July the Technology section is not included in the data download.

Edit the third: I mistakenly assumed that the Science and Technology section was still published on a Thursday - it's not in the printed edition, but is available online.

Also, for a period of three weeks the weekend section was missing from the download version, but that has now been reinstated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feb 25th???, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
The Guardian and the ObserverLike many reviewers I thoroughly enjoy this Kindle edition newspaper and find it very professionally reproduced. The only things I miss are the cryptic crossword and the 14-day tv supplement. However today's newspaper hasn't downloaded. What do you do? I would normally go round to the paper shop in the old days but can't do that now!!If anyone has any ideas please share them

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Readable Newspaper, 9 July 2011
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
As a long term Guardian reader but a new Kindle user, I was delighted to find this version of the paper newly available today.

I had been put off subscribing to other Kindle-based newspapers, partly because I did not particularly want to read them, but largely because the reviews were all rather negative about ease of use, lack of care taken preparing a Kindle-friendly version and complaints about missing content.

I found the Kindle content matched the paper version of today's Guardian very well (without the advertisements) and I can't see how getting around could be any better on the small Kindle screen. It is of course a very different experience flicking through menus rather than scanning large printed pages to decide what to read but once you are into an article the experience is the same as any other Kindle reading experience. The articles include relevant photographs and these reproduce perfectly acceptably - though obviously smaller and in black and white.

I have yet to decide if I really enjoy using the Kindle for reading books but, if future Kindle editions of the Guardian/Observer are as well produced as this first trial, it will help me become a convert.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on the paper - here's why:, 28 July 2011
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)

It is worth experiencing the Kindle edition to recognise those features of a 21st century newspaper or the BBC News website or Guardian online that we now take for granted and you will certainly miss on the Kindle edition such as:

1. Photos add so much value to news stories - obviously b/w not colour with the Kindle - but they seem irrelevant on the Kindle and don't add value to the article at all.

2. Headlines, sub headlines, pull-quotes, boxes with basic explanations/specific details and photos/images of the journalist that allow you to dip into articles as your interest in the article is either raised or lowered by quick reading/scanning of all of these. All absent on the Kindle edition.

3. The Guardian's statistical charts, diagrams and maps bring stories alive - absent on the Kindle edition. You'd have no idea where that Norwegian island, Utoeya, was with the Kindle edition.

4. Unexpected missing items: TV listings, weather, crosswords and other puzzles, tables and all those tiny news items throughout the newspaper that you scan and only read if interested in. To me the Kindle version of the Guardian/Observer is a subset of the newspaper and I'd suggest making this absolutely clear to potential readers.

5. The key colour photos: particularly the centre page colour photo - spectacular but can't be matched except as a large flat screen image. The cover of G2 that either interests you or not in the major article/s in G2.

6. Absence of grouping of news items other than at a v. high level: international, national. In the newspaper there might be front page and 3/4/5 pages of articles on a major story such as Norway killings or phone hacking - not all of these are present in Kindle edition and I couldn't easily recognise significant news areas for that day as I can with a newspaper or the BBC News website.

What did I like: Nothing really, I still bought the paper each day as I felt I'd missed so much. Even delivery before 5 a.m. was of no value to me as I could just as easily look at the web for BBC news or the Guardian website. Using the Kindle edition reminded me of what it was like as a 10 year old in the 50s trying to read the Times which in those days was tight columns of text and few photos and no headlines on the front page.

My suggestion: take up the Guardian/Observer newspaper subscription at 45% discount on the cover price, but be quick as the offer ends on July 31 2011. It costs less than twice the Kindle edition price and has 1000 times the value.

I will not be extending my free trial of the Kindle edition.

BTW in case you think I'm predjudiced against electronic media: I'm 63, and confess that I have been reading the Guardian for 40+ years, but I have used mobiles routinely since the early 90s; I've been a Blackberry smartphone crackhead (currently a Bold) for 5+ years that I use daily to read BBC News and Guardian mobile news on the train; I've made substantial daily use of the Internet since well before the web started in '95 and I've routinely used laptops as my work/home resource since '92.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guardian and the Observer, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
I have been an occasional Guardian/Observer reader over the years but have just subscribed to the Kindle edition.

I have to say that I love it, not so much for its news content (which, let's be honest, is available elsewhere). No. It is the essays, comments and letters that often have a slightly anarchic tone: no deference to the Royals, politicians are fair game. It is the least "politically correct" quality newspaper and I find myself thinking: "Well said. I agree with that". Polly Toynbee alone makes The Guardian worth 5 stars.

I will be continuing to get it after the trial period expires.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 26 April 2012
Mr. A. Lancelott "Andy Lancelot" (Benllech, Anglesey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
I haven't really read newspapers for years - but was intrigued about having this on the Kindle so tried the free trial. I am now an avid Guardian reader!!! I did try individual copies of the Times and Independent first but wasn't keen on the layout, but the Guardian is a great layout and excellent for browsing the headlines. I read some negastive reviews (not as many for this paper) but some mentioned the pictures were not up to scratch - I found them excellent myself. I also have an iPad too and if it is convenient for you it is possible to get at your paper via the free Kindle app. If you do this you can have the photos in colour and also white pages with black writing - excellent quality again. I don't really do puzzles and sudoko etc. and football scores I get live from the radio, but the sports reports are there and the articles and journalism is a lot better quality than Times or other newspapers.

I have only had this subscription for 3 days now but I am definitely going to continue when the trial ends - a much nicer and civilised way of reading the papers without making your arms ache. Also you can share highlights with Twitter/Facebook etc and make comments just like with books - including using the dictionary if there is a word you're not sure of. Not bad for 33p a day. Cheaper than the i

4.0 out of 5 stars Great option for reading the Guardian, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
I have had the Guardian on the kindle for nearly 6 months now. I won't repeat what all the other reviewers have said but here is my list of positive and negative aspects of the experience.

Positives
1. It is significantly cheaper if you are a keen Guardian reader.
2. You get your newspaper reliably (mostly) every morning when you want it.
3. With the 3G kindle you can also get the newspaper when you want it and wherever you are (in the UK, EU and Turkey anyway, in my recent experience) at no extra cost ! Amazing for travellers.
4. It is more readable than the online versions : I find the newspaper easy to read and logical in its order. I don't really like newspaper websites, except for headlines.
5. You can clip and save articles, recipes and so on.

Negatives
1. It doesn't have everything : it never has the weather, the TV listings and so on. Photos are included but are limited by the technology, I find I don't mind this as much as some other readers seem to. It sometimes has the kakuro (I have yet to find a suitable pen for doing it without damage on a kindle screen) but never the sudoko or the crossword.

I think to some degree the Guardian are still adjusting to new technology and have yet to explore the possibilities here, I get the feeling they regard this edition as some sort of poor relative offshoot rather than the main edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've surprised myself with how much I like it!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
I've been reading The Guardian for 40 years... that kind of a newspaper habit is about more than just the content. I signed up for the 14-day trial, more than half expecting not to like it, and expecting to miss the 'thingness', the materiality of the actual paper paper.

My motivation for the try-out was basically environmental - to reduce my contribution to carbon emissions from all that trucking heavy paper around.

But I love it! It's been well thought-out, it's easily navigable, the headline pages look like The Guardian.

Pity about the crosswords and the Sudoku, but I'm not an addict, so I can live without them. Real pity to miss Steve Bell and Doonesbury... but, again, I can live without them.

Additional bonus: the paper won't arrive an hour late in the school holidays, because the paper boy didn't get out of bed!

Downsides: it takes business away from my small, local independent newsagent; and there won't be that useful pile of old newspapers for all the little jobs around the house... wrapping broken china or used cat litter, and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative to the print edition., 1 May 2012
This review is from: The Guardian and the Observer (Kindle Edition)
Having only recently got a Kindle, this is the first electronic newspaper I've subscribed to.

I've found it very easy to navigate, with the seperate sections divided up so you can jump straight to the stories you want to read as well as browsing the paper cover-to-cover. It has virtually all the content of the print edition, the only things I've noticed missing so far are tv & events listings and the crosswords (which you're not able to fill in on the Kindle anyway).

The display on the Kindle adds to the feel that you are reading the newspaper itself and, at 9.99 a month, it is excellent value (the paper edition currently costs 1.20 Monday to Friday, 2.10 on Saturdays, whilst the Observer is 2.20).

ARRAY(0xb4985f18)