TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 March 2016
Season 11 (of 12) of this classic series definitely sees an extension of the downturn in quality that became very noticeable in Season 10 - not too surprising after such a long run. However, while this season does not match the overall quality of the first six seasons, or even the first nine, it is still great viewing for Five-0 fans, or fans of classic TV in general. The picture and sound quality are generally acceptable.

Anyway, if you have fond memories of this series, this is your chance to relive it. If you have never seen it, you may find it a refreshing change from the labyrinthine plots and angst-ridden characters that seem to be a requirement of some modern series (although ideally you'd start with Season 1). Finally, you get one of the best opening sequences (and themes) in TV history, plus great Hawaiian locations.
on 22 May 2013
Been hunting the Internet for well over 30 years for this DVD, and only came across it recently. One of the episodes, The Year Of The Horse, was shot in Singapore at a time we were living there, and my wife was an extra. She had a scene where she was getting off a bus ahead of Barry Bostwick. I always wondered if she would get edited out! We were happy to discover she was in the final cut! LOL! This episode has special memories for us both as it shows Singapore at the time we lived there. So I accept we are a bit biased, but none the less these are good stories, and the picture quality looks fine to me. One for the die hard fans maybe? Perhaps that's what I am!
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2011
After the very dissapointing picture quality of season 10 I was rather reluctant to purchase Hawaii Five O season 11. In the end I took the plunge and I am glad I did - it seems like CBS have learnt their lesson and have remastered the picture and sound quality which looks and sounds excellent. It would be great if they went back and did the same with season 10 but I'm not holding my breath. Season 11 was the penultimate season and isn't one of the more popular ones. I have to say I did enjoy it - ok it's not up their with the classic seasons 4, 5 and 6 but there is still plently to enjoy. This was sadly James MacArthur's last season. The UK releases of Hawaii Five O seem to have stopped with season 7 (to date) so the only way to buy seasons 8, 9, 10 and 11 is to purchase the American releases. Being American the dvds are region 1 coded so you will probably need a multi region player to watch the dvds. This 6 disk set contains all 21 episodes and is well worth adding to your collection.
The original Hawaii Five-O series was screened on British TV between 1968 - 1980. A total of 284 x 60 minute episodes were made, all made on location in Hawaii. Other popular detective series made in Hawaii include Hawaiian Eye (1959 - 1963: 134 x 60min episodes), Magnum P.I. (1980 - 1988: 164 x 48min episodes). The original series has been remade (as Hawaii Five-O) and screened from 2010 onwards. There have been 118 x42min new episodes up until 2015. James MacArthur, who played ‘Danno” Danny Williams, Steve McGarrett’s second in command, made a cameo appearance in the Hawaii Five-O TV movie as Governor Dan Williams, the roll previously played by Richard Denning.

These TV detective series span almost 60 years but the series I remember most of all is the original Hawaii Five-O with Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, head of Five-O. I recall the ingenious plots and the fact that all the Five-O team wore suits and were immaculately dressed most of the time despite the hot and humid tropical environment of Hawaii. The remade series is probably more true to life in terms of dress sense but what the original series had was style, and style by the bucketful.

Try as I may, I cannot get the original cast out of my mind when watching the remake series. Worse still are the new plots which seem to me too ‘generic’ for my taste. I mean by this that I have seen similar plots in other cop shows. Perhaps the writers of Hawaii Five-O have run out of ideas and look for interesting storylines elsewhere.

Whether the remake series will be as memorable or as enduring as the original series is open to debate but at the time of this review the original series has notched up more than double the number of episodes of the remake.

I remember the original Five-O with fondness and it is my intention to collect the entire series on DVD. I only need series 4 to complete my collection.
on 24 October 2011
In terms of remastering, this set redeems itself; Paramount seriously dropped the ball with the shoddy picture quality associated with Season 10. In that sense, we're right back on track - however, no amount of remastering can disguise what a truly awful season this is. I love the original 5-0, but this season is a step too far. Everyone looks pretty much bored with proceedings - no wonder James McArthur called it quits after season finale, 'The Year of The Horse'.

So, as mentioned, the remastering is back and very good - only let down perhaps by the pre title teasers which mostly are grainy and / or lacking sharpness.

It should be highlighted that this season contains a number of notable music edits - "Number One With a Bullet" Part 2 has all songs by the Bee Gees removed and replaced with some generic sounding noise which resembles something you'd have heard at a 70s disco. Part 1 of this story, however, has all of these tracks left intact - one can only assume that budgetary constraints were the reason for their absence from the second part of this story.

The 'Execution File' also sees the cover version of Rod Stewart's 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' replaced with another generic 70s disc sound. For some inexplicable reason, another more obvious edit is in place on this episode - Kam Fong (whose character, Chin Ho Kelly, was killed at the end of the final episode of Season 10) now appears in the titles for this episode!

My favourite 5-0 seasons were 4 & 5 - its quite shocking how far the show has deteriorated by Season 11 - everything is much slower, the acting and story-lines have dropped significantly in quality and, sadly, the show is bland. So many episodes from earlier seasons I can watch over and over, this season is a real struggle first time around.

If you're a fan of the show, buy it to complete your collection - if you've never seen the original 5-0, don't start your experience with this season!
on 17 July 2013
company easy to deal with would buy from and recommend them. bought as gift for friend have bought full set slowly so he can complete set
on 20 June 2014
I have now got all 12 seasons of Hawaii five-0. I grew up as a young boy watching this great cop show. it does not come any better than this.
on 14 May 2016
Got a Multmedia DVD player Built into a laptop and they are all playing like a Dream as it is Multi region Hard drive.
on 19 March 2016