Canon EOS Speedlite 270EX II Flash Unit
Price:£135.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 December 2011
I bought this flashgun after upgrading to an EOS 5D which does not have an integral flash. My existing flashgun (580EX) is too heavy / bulky to slip into a pocket just in case I need it, hence the purchase of the 270EX II.
As an alternative to integral flash, it is perfect .. lightweight, small enough to carry in a pocket, and more powerful than a built-in flash. The bounce head and wireless capability make it an even more useful tool.
For me, there is nothing negative to say about it, but for anyone looking at this as a main flashgun, bear in mind that it is fully automatic / controlled by the camera, and does not have any manual settings on the flashgun.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this to use with my Canon G12 Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10 MP, 5x Zoom) 2.8 Inch Vari-angle Purecolor LCD.

The build quality is at the usual high canon standard but the flash is almost as large as the camera (google pics of it attached)! Thankfully it feels secure once attached via the shoeplate and there's a switch to lock it into place. There's another switch to switch it on. Once attached, the G12 recognises the flash and allows you to change a few basic flash settings. Using an external flash means the camera's built-in flash is disabled. This is even the case if you switch off the 270ex II, so do bear this in mind.

The flash head can be pulled forward, which then allows you to adjust the bounce to 60, 75 or 90 degrees. I've also purchased the Sto-Fen Omni OM-EV filter for this flash which attaches securely to the flash head and diffuses the light more evenly.

One of the main features of this over the 270EX is that it has a wireless receiver (which you can see in the pic, above the Canon logo) and can be triggered by other flashes or transmitters. I've not tried this feature but unfortunately, the manual states it must be in group A which means it will always fire when triggered (putting flashes into groups means you can control which ones fire). This adds very slightly to the bulk, so if it's not something you're interested in, think about the 270EX.

Once attached to the camera, the flash increases the weight and bulk, necessitating the use of both hands. I found it more difficult to use the variangle LCD on the G12 as it fold out to the left. Your left hand has to secure the weight of the camera+flash so the right hand can be used to steady it and use the controls. This will take some getting used to. Currently, I have the wrist strap Canon WS-20 Video Wrist Strap which I've attached to the right of the G12. I think I will need to change it to the left side.

Photographs come out better with the flash, and more evenly lit if you use the bounce feature. The Stofen filter improves on this further, so I'd recommend buying it too.

In the box is also a little pouch to carry the flash, and a little plastic stand which clips on to the underside of the camera, and allows you to use it remotely via the wireless mechanism. Again, you'd need a transmitter for this. It takes two AA batteries (not included) and despite taking over a hundred photos with the flash, they are not yet depleted. Still worth carrying a few spares in case.

All-in-all, complements the Canon G12 and as a simple flash, works beauifully.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 May 2012
This is a great little flash to keep in your pocket, it fires in slave mode, triggered by my on camera flash or ST-E2 trigger. Also works brilliantly as a main flash on my Canon G12. Tilting head means you can create nice modelling, as long as there is a white wall or ceiling available.
on 10 March 2012
An ideal add on to the built in flash on my EOS 550D.Gives excellent results in all indoor and outdoor extra lighting conditions and its compact size means it fits easily into your camera bag.
on 2 April 2013
I bought this to use on my 6D (which does not have a dedicated flash) and a G1X. It is really small, and comes complete with a well made carry case which fits into most jacket or trouser pockets. The zoom head allows use with a good variety of lenses, and battery life (2 x AA) seems very good - I am still on my first set of batteries but have been using the unit quite extensively over the last few weeks.
So, how does it perform? I have been very impressed, coverage appears even at various focal lengths (I have used it primarily with a 24-105mm 'L' lens and a 40mm 'pancake' on the 6D), and results have exceeded my expectations. It makes a marked difference on the G1X in comparison to the inbuilt flash, and its integration with the camera software is very impressive.
The only downside is that it only works on selected models, but for me it has been a really excellent addition to my kit. IMHO performance and build quality is excellent, and the high price is justified for the convenience of full integration with the camera. Highly recommended.
on 24 November 2014
I already have 2 larger EX Speedlites so why buy this one?

My reasons are very simple. I cannot use the pop-up flash for fill-in on my 70D with my workhorse lens (the EF-S 15-85mm) because the lens is so large that it casts a massive shadow even with the lens hood removed So, I wanted a small unit with a moderate amount of power that was lightweight and easy to carry around.

At first I was put off the 270EX by the apparent lack of manual control. Then I realised that the manual control is done via the flash control option in the camera's menus allowing manual power adjustment from 1/1 to 1/64.

I took the plunge and bought a 270EX II and am absolutely delighted! Tiny size, no lens shadow when camera mounted even with the lens hood attached - it ticks both my boxes.

There are bonuses! I can use it as a slave unit with my larger Speedlites but it is limited to Group A. There is adequate power for bounce flash in a small room with a white walls and ceiling. It incorporates an infra red camera remote shutter release. Using it with smaller lenses with the in-built flash as master and the 270 as a remote slave you can get some pretty decent flash photos.

If you want hall filling bounce flash with swivel as well as tilt or if you want versatile multi-flash configurations then this is not for you - get a 430EX or 600EX. If you want a pocket sized unit for those times when you need to add a little light for fill-in or for use in small domestic rooms and you don't want to lug around a giant flashgun, then this is the unit for you.

I would like to give 4.5stars but can't! It loses the half star because I just feel it is £20 or so over-priced so falls down a little on value for money.

Final summary - take account of its limitations and you won't be disappointed.
on 24 December 2012
Whilst not as powerful as say a 550ex(which I also own) this little flash is light, portable and a good addition to my camera's built in flash. It can be used as a slave and provides an excellent addition to the camera's range. It fills in the gap between the built in flash and my main flash
I'm happy with its performance.
on 3 August 2013
I have used this in lots of situations and I really like it and it fits well and doesn't add to much bulk to my camera. I just wish the head would swivel as well as tilt, it's only a minor gripe - I don't bounce flash much anyway but if you do think about how useful the swivel function would be and before you buy this.
on 2 December 2012
For its price its absolutely great. Very happy with it. I could not afford to buy the proper one and got this one and i am very happy with it. I shoot some wedding pics with it and its a great little compact worker. highly recommended.
on 3 November 2014
I ordered this flast late on Saturday afternon & it had arrived less than 24 hours later - amazing service!

I wanted something quite small, compact & lightweight to take on a major trek. I'll be carrying it up and down a lot of high mountains and passes so form was as important as function. I already have 3 of the much larger and more functional EX600 RTs, but think they are too heavy and bulky for carrying on an extended trek.

The small form factor means the flash takes just 2 AA battries, saving on weight, but also adding to recycle time; a fair compromise in my view. I tested it during the afternoon & so far have been delighted with it. It's light spread is plenty to light a large 6mx5m room shot full-frame at 24mm. Coupled with a higher ISO on my 5DII, I'm sure the flash will be just fine for my intended purposes, which is primarily as a daylight-fill flash.

True, it does not swizel, and that capability would have been handy, but something has to give and to me, I'm happy with this limitation. When I'm not out and about, I intent to use this to light backgrounds or as an accent light is a strobist setup & for that purpose, I think it will be ideal.

Once I return from the trip, I may update this review, but for now, I'm delighted with this flash.