4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sharp for a kit lens
I tested the lens on my 70d which will show up any questionable optics quite easily with it's 20mp sensor.
Having picked up the 18-135mm STM lens I was quite happy with that, but this lens was quite a lot better than I expected it to be.

The previous "kit lens" was quite decent too, but this is improved in a number of ways over that version.

My...
Published 7 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a kit lens, but...
You are probably better off putting the cost of this towards a "better lens"
If you get one in a kit bundle it works out cheaper and more bang per buck, maybe worth hanging onto for a back up.

Being fair it's no question a better kit lens than the older Canon kit lens and it does have IS
My summary is as follows

Pros:
+ Quite sharp...
Published 21 months ago by Mr Baz

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sharp for a kit lens, 6 Mar 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

My quick fire pros and cons list:

Pros:
+ Improved build over the previous version. Better quality plastics used (feels better put together too) This isn't a classy feeling lens but it doesn't feel as hollow as many 18-55mm's do. Zoom action is smoother too
+ AF is fast and very quiet, new stepper motor is useful for video (you can't hear the AF at all on my 70d)
+ Very sharp, at all focal lenghts and apertures very usable, at the 18mm mark you only need to stop down slightly to tighten up the extreme edges. Very decent at the 55mm mark too
+ Excellent close up ability of 1:2.8 max mag, ok it's not a true macro but that's very good for an 18-55mm and might be enough for semi macro shooters
+ CA is mostly well controlled (better than the older version by far) but I did see more CA at the wider end
+ IS works very well around 3 to 3.5 stops from field use
+ 58mm filter is the normal common size, does not rotate with filters either
+ Full time MF with the new STM motor (unlike the older version)
+ 7 blade aperture ring quite decently smooth out of focus areas, but at 55mm f5.6 this isn't the lens for "bokeh" shots

Cons:
- Still has a plastic mount. Par for the course on 18-55mm lenses, but would be nice to have metal as the build is better v the older version
- Vignetting is present at the wider end from 18mm up to around 30mm worse at the 18mm end wide open. Take it down a stop or so to make it a non issue for most shooting
- STM motor is great for video, but as it's focus by wire (not mechanical focus) you don't get the feedback of a true mechanical manual focus lens. Not a huge deal but worth a mention. I have the same on my 18-135mm STM too
- Some distortion at the wide end fairly notable at the 18mm mark, this again is pretty much common for any of the 18-55mm lenses I've tried, once you move up the focal range it's no issue at all and can be corrected easily

I found the lens to work very well with the 70d I have with quick and quiet/accurate focus using both the viewfinder and the new phase detect AF off the sensor.

I do like the 18-135mm for it's very useful range, but was taken aback a bit just how sharp this lens is. It is a touch bigger than the older 18-55mm it replaces (maybe the new STM motor) but in every other way it's a better lens all around, optically sharper, improved build, though it does cost more than the older kit lens.

Compared to the Tamron 17-50 this lens isn't as well built, but holds up pretty well. I would say the Tamron does seem to have a bit more bite to the images, but it lacks IS...though the constant f2.8 is very useful to have. Personally I would look at this as a really good deal as a kit bundle (well worth getting), do think about your options though the 18-135mm costs more but covers a very nice range (135mm top end v 55mm is a big difference handy for portrait/candid shooting the longer focal length) the Sigma/Tamron offerings are also worth a look.

To date this is the best 18-55mm I've tried (used the Sony, Pentax, Nikon and previous Canon kit lenses), and by some margin too

If you're on a budget and this range covers your needs (ie landscapes/general shooting) really you will be very happy with the lens and you'll get some very sharp images from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday lens, 14 Sep 2013
Great all purpose lens for the much maligned EOS- M. Since Canon released a new firmware update addressing the focussing speed the camera focusses much more quickly to a point where speed isn't an issue. The 18-55 lens is a great lens to keep attached for everyday use. It's light, produces sharp pictures, good zoom range, acceptable macro, fast and quiet. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just better, 17 July 2013
I have had all three generations of this kit lens. Each generation has got better. The last I.S. one I had started to get a sticky zoom action so I bought the new STM one. The new STM lens is better in every way. Silent focus with full-time manual focus and a proper focusing ring, and also a non-rotating front element which is much better for polariser and graduated N.D filter use. Even the resolution has improved. The last one was very good but this new one is exceptional.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a kit lens, but..., 16 Jan 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF-S Zoom Lens 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS MK II (Accessory)
You are probably better off putting the cost of this towards a "better lens"

My summary is as follows

Pros:
+ Quite sharp when stopped down a bit wide end, usable at 55mm f5.6
+ It does have IS which is useful, and it seemed to work ok for me with the copies I've used (but don't expect L lens IS performance)
+ Does quite well controlling flare rarely a serious problem for this lens
+ Pretty sharp in the centre of the frame at all focal lengths

Cons:
- As expected fairly cheap build (par for the course for a kit lens)
- At 18mm distortion is quite strong (again not rare for a kit lens in any way)
- Vignetting an issue mostly at the wide end (stop down for improvements here), not really an issues tele end
- Chromatic aberration visible and a bit more than expected at the wider focal lengths (stopping down does not help that much)
- Corners are quite poor at the 18mm mark at f3.5 and improve quite a lot at around f8-f11.
- No lens Hood which is ok for a kit bundle but expected as a stand alone purchase

Overall by no means a bad lens, but it's open to debate if it's worthy of the stand alone asking price. In kit bundle form it's effectively costing very little and not a bad way to start off for an inexpensive lens. Kit lenses do vary from copy to copy, some have complained about de-centering issues and I've seen that on various kit lenses from all the main makers. On the 2 Canon ones I used nothing obvious stood out, but you will spot problems fairly quickly if you've bought ones.

I would suggest putting the money towards maybe a Sigma/Tamron lens which will give better quality in both build and optics, but cost more money. So really the choice is yours. Still a step forward from the non IS older version which was a bit hit and mostly miss on an optical level.

Update April 2014:
I've now tried the newer STM 18-55mm IS and now recommend that lens over this one as it's improved in many ways (it's shaper and better optically)
Do look around at options though some third party makers have good offering that are worth condidering. I personally would still go for the Sigma/Tamron options over the normal 18-55mm (the additional speed is useful)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6 IS, 3 Mar 2012
Was a bit wary of this as it was so cheap but still has IS fitted but needn't have worried. Not had much opportunity to use it yet but when I have, it has performed impressively, even in poor light.
So far so good and an excellent bit of kit-recommended to anyone thinking about buying one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 14 Aug 2013
This lens came with the M as part of the kit with 90ex flash. Quality of photos as well as build quality is very high. Better than I thought it would be. Not too heavy even with metal construction. Very sleek finish. No switches on lens. AF is controlled from camera menu. Sensible filter size, 52mm, so easy to get filters, hoods etc. I'm just waiting for a telephoto to come out now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S - Zoom lens - 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6 IS II - Canon EF, 8 Jun 2011
D. Foreman - See all my reviews
I bought this item to replace my existing Canon 18-55mm lens for its Image Stability feature. Because I have MS my hand often shakes. Problem solved, perfectly crisp pictures!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry-level lens, 14 Mar 2012
This lens is represents good value for money as an entry-level kit zoom lens. It is a cheap way of getting you up and running with a Canon EOS series digital SLR and gives fairly reasonable results.

But if you have used better quality fixed lenses in the past should bear this in mind:

1). There is very noticeable barrel distortion at a focal length of 18mm.
2). There is very noticeable diffraction at F16 and smaller apertures.
3). Chromatic abberation always seems to be present.
4). In summary, after doing a fair few lens tests, I found that the best aperture was F11, other apertures gave a far "softer" focus. I wouldn't say that photos taken with this lens are particularly sharp.

I mainly do outdoor landscape shots where the shortcomings of the lens are apparent if you view your photographs in a large format.

In hindsight I guess I was expecting too much of my lens for the price I paid [which is why I am giving 4 stars rather than anything lower]. I have heard people recommend the 17-55mm USM lens, but that is nearly 6x the price of this lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement lens, 15 Nov 2011
bought this to replace the lens that came as standard with my Canon Eos 450
fab cant fault it just need to learn more about photography...
bought it on the reviews given and glad I did

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens, 28 Aug 2013
Bought this lens as a replacement for the Mk 1 version which came with the camera. This one had the Image Stabiliser which I wanted.
Great advantage for me is it's lack of weight. Now carry the camera everywhere.
The photos taken are sharp and I'm really pleased with them.
Haven't as yet found any disadvantages.
I already have a Canon EFS 18-200, which is great if I don't want to swap lenses over and a Canon EF 75-300 111 USM (bought many years ago). which I use regularly
The 18-55 is just lighter and as I do a lot of walking' it's suits that purpose.