Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 9 July 2012
I purchased this following recommendation by PC Advisor and from the reviews I read on Amazon.
The product arrived quickly and I was able to set it up despite the instructions being very limited.
I was replacing my old WRt54G router which has has worked well but could not deliver the high speeds from my modem.
The main issue with the router was that the Ethernet ports were faulty. I kept getting error messages when logging on from my 2 PCs which were connected via the Ethernet ports and they couldn't network for file sharing.
I returned the router and have received a full refund but I wouldn't buy another Cisco.
on 8 August 2014
Very good router
on 8 November 2011
I was advised to purchase the 4200 by Linksys pre-sales as I wanted to get better wireless range than I achieve with a Netgear router as supplied free from my ISP. I was quite surprised that the 4200 has to be plugged into a seperate internet modem. So I connect the 4200 to my old netgear router and its all very simple to configure etc. BUT the range is only fractionaly better than my original router. At a range of 20metres, through 3 rooms I get 1 bar of connection on my laptop with the netgear and 2 bars from the 4200. So much for all that extra technology and cost. I phoned the 10p per minute help line which was useless. All they could do was read the specification back to me and suggest there could be interference. They had no comment as to why the 4200 wasnt outperforming the netgear router. I asked to complain about their level of technical competence but the said their supervisor was on a break and gave my a Cisco number in UK to call. Cisco UK basicaly said they have nothing to do with Linksys - but we are all lead to believe that we are buying a Cisco product as their logo is plastered all over the box. I am of course returning the product but its a shame that Amazon have to pick up the costs for shipping etc.
on 6 October 2011
bought to replace d 615 .the e4200 does not run at 300 on 2.4 max i could get and look around lots in same boat 144 is all i could get max ,tried lots of different settings.the range is no better than my old d link d615 had to go back to my friend 2 doors up who i had given it to and ASK IF I COULD HAVE HIS OLD ONE TILL I RETURNED THIS ONE.used insssider my old one stands out running 300n.going to have to look around for something better
on 9 September 2011
Nothing in the description makes this obvious, so do take note that this will not work with a BT broadband connection (ADSL). Perhaps it will with a modem attached, but what a faff that would be. I can. however, recommend Vinnie i(s he a real person?), with whom, I 'live chatted' for five minutes to find this out!
on 2 February 2013
The quality of the signal was very poor and was no stronger than a £30 wireless router so not value for money.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2014
Do not buy, load of rubbish, never felt so ripped off in my whole life, a complete load of crap
on 28 December 2011
Set this router up exactly as instructed and worked for all of five mins. When I next tried to set up the guest access I couldn't gain access to internet. As the set up help is online I reched an impass. Turned everything off in sequence as the manual stated including pc and modem. Turned all back on in correct order and pc wouldn't recognize the router or its password so drop kicked it to the bench till I can figure it out or decide to scrap it. Had to go back to old router. At least I only had to plug it in and was up on the net in seconds.Was so looking forward to having better wifi range and strength. Do not buy unless you work for cisco or have a second modem and pc working nearby.
on 31 July 2011
On paper this looks like a very fast and sophisticated router. I am not going to comment on concurrent wifi or speed just on using it with ADSL.

This is a cable router. If you do not have cable broadband it will require an ADSL modem. Of itself this should not be a drama. I use a Draytek Vigor 120 which is a very capable piece of kit and extraordinarily simple to use. However...

** The E4200 router only supports the PPPoE connection standard. **

If, like me, you favour Zen Internet as honest value and strong performance, this will not work for you. Zen uses the more established PPPoA standard. I suspect many other UK ISPs do as well.

My old DLink DIR 635 router works perfectly with my Vigor and seems able to resolve the PPPoA/E issue and caters for the static IP address provided by Zen. The Cisco will not connect and cannot manage a statis IP address even with PPPoE. Linksys on-line technical support cannot help.
on 6 May 2011
If you read the Cisco website, the E4200 is the king of home wireless routers. Awesome speed matched with awesome coverage. I couldn't wait to speed up my home network with this bad boy. The reality is unfortunately, this router doesn't even perform as well as my 4 year old "Wanadoo" Livebox wireless modem/router. I spent a lot of money on the E4200 and the cisco N USB dongle WUSB600N and expected great things. The Cisco E4200 was no more then 7 metres as the crow flies from the cisco WUSB600N. The router was on the first floor and my PC on the ground floor. XPSP3 reported 0 bars in the wireless networks dialogue box (I get 2 bars with my old router). I tried moving the E4200 around the room and also tried various channel settings in the web interface. No improvement.
I'm really surprised at other peoples +ve comments on the router - maybe it's the construction of my house. It's very old with 1 ft thick brick walls. Still, I'd expect the E4200 to out perform my old wireless router.

I bought this after reading Amazons +ve reviews and the CNET review but since experiencing these issues I've found a number of postings on the cisco forums saying the range on the E4200 is awful.

I'd suggest doing your homework before investing in this model. It's very expensive and it's high cost is not justifiable in my opinion.
44 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse