5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for MR16 halogens
I bought these to replace some standard MR16 halogen bulbs since some of those had previous died and the heat from one or two others was causing some concerns. Having read some of the issues regarding replacing halogen's with LEDs (due to the loads) I initially bought a small number of these but have subsequently replaced many more.

These lights have worked as...
Published on 11 Sep 2012 by Dr Richard Forster

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough light for me
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Victor Meldrew Mk2

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for MR16 halogens, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Aurora 4W 12V MR16 Super Bright LED Light Bulbs, Warm White, 3000k (Higher Quality than other Energy Saving MR16 Lamps - 2 Year Guarantee) Perfect Size Retrofit

These lights have worked as direct replacements for my halogens without any difficulties at all. The form-factor matched the existing halogens (used as ceiling spots throughout the flat) and replacement was as easy as a normal replacement. As with the existing lights, these ones drop under gravity from the fittings unless the sprung clasps (part of the fitting and not part of the product here, or normal halogen replacements) are used. This makes them easy to get in and out. (It should be noted that I also bought some of the 6W Aurora bulbs at the same time as these 4W bulbs; those bulbs fit tightly in to my existing fittings and do not drop by gravity so will require more effort to replace.)

I have had no issues with the amount of power drawn by these lights which I understand can be a problem. I have a variety of lighting circuits, containing anywhere from 1 to 7 bulbs, and in each case I have encountered no problems (such as flickering). I had originally been concerned that I might need to also purchase an LED driver - or leave a standard halogen in the circuit - but this has not proved necessary.

I replaced a mix of 25W and 35W halogen bulbs. I have not noticed any major different in the brightness between the old bulbs and the new replacements, although I also struggle to see much difference between the 25W and 35W bulbs I have replaced. I have a feeling that these are approximately the same as the 25W halogens. Certainly, I find spaces are adequately lit having directly replaced the old halogens with these bulbs. (Having experimented with a few of the 6W alternatives to these bulbs I find little reason to use those as they do not appear to put out significantly more light.)

The colour of the light put out by the bulbs is also very satisfactory. Again, pretty close to that given out by the old halogens. Possibly slightly whiter, but in a way that only seems visible when reflected of white surfaces (i.e. not looking generally in to a room) and even then only to a minor extent.

Overall, I am very happy with these lights as replacements for halogens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little ray of sunshine, 15 Oct 2011
My parents had 12v 35w halogen ceiling spot lights in the upstairs bathroom which got hot and have been causing condensation problems in the loft in the winter. Because of the heat they gave off they could not have loft insulation placed on top of them which would have cured the condensation problems.

Answer - I purchased these 12v 4w replacement LED lights. They ran off the existing 240v/12v transformers with no problems. They do not get hot so we have now placed insulation over them in the loft which should cure the condensation problems this winter. They only consume 4w each so they will be using just over a 10th of the electricity the 35w halogen lamps used saving on their electricity bill.

They appear brighter then the old 12v 35w halogen ones and my parents are very pleased with them and the colour of the light they give off. My brother has bought LED lights in the past and said these are definitely brighter. Before purchasing these I did do some searches online regarding LED light bulb wattages and customers views on various designs and these seemed the best value for money / quality. Obviously time will tell how reliable they are.

So overall I am very pleased with the purchase of these LED light bulbs and would purchase them again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough light for me, 13 Sep 2011
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Perhaps I have been spoilt as previously I had purchased some exergi bulbs at almost twice the price last year. I must admit to have been very much influenced by the other reviewers for this item and am delighted that they were very happy with the product. Sadly I felt that the bulbs fell short of their claimed luminescence and therefore returned them for an extremely prompt refund. For the record may I add that I feel that these bulbs are a good product and obviously more than satisfactory for the majority of people, however in our case they simply provided insufficient light and we will be pursuing 6w bulbs in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent retrofit LED, 24 Mar 2013
Gem Rock (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a retrofit LED lights which would't break the bank or require transformer changes. I read the reviews with trepidation but took the plunge. I was worried they would only last weeks and my money would be wasted. It was straight forward to fit and has given us 3 months of excellent usage. I use it in a 5 light kitchen unit with 3 LED and 2x35w standard lights with no problems so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with led driver, 19 Jun 2012
J. Robinson (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased a number of these for the garage and the bedroom to replace the MR16 halogens which were power hungry. Note that I had to fit an LED driver for each bulb to avoid the "flickering effect". According to my own research, the flickering is due to the transformer not being able to supply the low load requirement of LED bulbs. So to prolong the life of the bulb, and avoid disappointment in the future, I decided, at the outset, to replace the existing older type 240V - 12V transformer with the new LED driver. The led driver transformers themselves are small and easy to fit. The bulbs give a bright enough light, with similar intensity to the halogens that they replaced, I was not concerned about the bulb colour temperature. Unlike other led bulbs, these were a good retrofit for the MR16 halogen, and needed to be, as the light fitting was such that there was very little margin if the bulb was bigger. These bulbs are expensive but I believe you get what you pay for, and I hope to reap the rewards latter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED's, 21 Sep 2011
I wouldn't normally buy lights online, but living in Belgium these things are so hopelessly expensive (35EUR+) that I decided to try these Aurora's. What can I say, they're great. They give a slightly yellow light compared to the other LED's I have, but as they're used in the kid's bedrooms this is actually rather desirable. In fact I was so pleased with the first lot that I placed a second order. Quick delivery too and all at a third of the cost of buying a similar product here...

Obviously only time will tell if they're reliable, but so far so good. I'm very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Feb 2013
Bought these to replace halogen lights in our kitchen - 6x 50W halogen bulbs were proving expensive to run, plus of course they don't last long at all so I was constantly replacing them. Having bought another manufacturer's LED bulb for another room and been disapointed, I thought I'd try replacing 2 of the 6 bulbs with these.

The light provided is virtually identical in brightness (if anything very slightly brighter), the colour of the light is very slightly different to the halogens, but neither better nor worse. We are very pleased with the light quality. The build quality is also good and much better than some other LEDs I've looked at. They fit perfectly in the space for the halogens and if anything look smarter.

Also, unlike the halogen bulbs the light is very consistent between the bulbs, they should last longer and when they do fail I won't burn my fingers.... overall very happy and will be buying another four.

4.0 out of 5 stars Led lights, 25 Nov 2012
Not as bright as I thought they would be but okay, Aa expected they are cool running so ideal for ceiling mount into loft space are. No longer worried about fire from heat of old halogen bulbs. Fitted as direct replacement in existing holds. Had to replace the driver units as the halogen drivers could not be triggered by the low load.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product equal to halogen replacement, 28 May 2012
I've used these for a couple of years now, along with the equivalent GU10 fitting. I bought a pair because of problems with one of my existing lights. It seems they lifespan quoted may not be achieved, especially as it is dependent on the 12 volt converter. I'd recommend installing the GU10s where possible, but these are perfectly fine as replacements for halogen lights. At this price, it's worth it even if they only last a couple of years.

3.0 out of 5 stars better as a 20watt replacement than a 35 watt replacement, 3 Feb 2014
The Wool Company "wooly" (cornwall) - See all my reviews
I bought these to replace recessed halogen downlighters in a kitchen ceiling. They were well packaged and delivered quickly and appear to be good quality but IMO are not QUITE as described as they are significantly less bright than 35w halogen halogen and a noticeably colder colour temperature. I believe this would be a very good replacement for a 20 halogen (although still a somewhat colder white) but are not quite bright enough to replace a 35 watt. When you look at the light fitting from an angle of around 40 degrees they do look very bright but the pool of light cast, next to that cast by a 35 watt halogen is not so bright. I guess the ideal replacement for a 35 watt halogen would be need to be 6-7 watts LED at 2700k.

The lamp does fit perfectly into the old recessed halogen MR16 fitting, the ventilation grill is less obtrusive than appears in the product image and it certainly appears to be well made, but if the manufacturer could get a slightly warmer colour temp - a genuine 2700k - it would be better.