4.0 out of 5 stars Personally I think this is their best period
Published 16 months ago by Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better.
Published on 12 April 2011 by S. Muzyka

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better., 12 April 2011
S. Muzyka (Rugby,Warwickshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
Anyone who read my review of the 'Absolute Greatest' release from 2009 will know that this was the kind of compilation I believed would have made a great second disc. Basically, its a selection of Queens lesser-known album tracks rather than ANOTHER Greatest Hits, designed to draw in the casual Queen fan to the gems dotted around their albums.(ie non-singles). It only covers the first five albums to tie in with the re-issue campaign (a second volume is due when the next five albums are re-released in June). So,does it fulfill the criteria? Well, yes and no. Every Queen fan should have a space ready for 'Ogre Battle' 'Stone Cold Crazy' and 'The March Of The Black Queen' in particular but there are still some strange choices here. 'I'm In Love With My Car' for example was the B-side of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which of course spent 9 weeks at number 1 so it hardly qualifies as a lesser-known number! Some stonking tracks are missing such as 'Liar' and 'The Night Comes Down' from 'Queen', 'Father To Son' and 'The Fairy Fellers Master Stroke' from 'Queen II' and where is 'Brighton Rock' 'Death On Two Legs' and 'White Man'?. I suppose everyone has a different idea of what constitutes a compilation but they really could have done better with this. To remove 'Good Company' 'Long Away' 'Lily Of The Valley' 'I'm In Love With My Car' and 'In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited' and replace them with the omissions mentioned above would have made for a much better CD. To finish on a positive note, however, both 'Ogre Battle' and 'The March Of The Black Queen' run to full endings here (they were cross-faded into the next track on 'Queen II') so its far better if you want to put these songs on your own playlist. Whether thats enough to make you part with your money is up to you of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally I think this is their best period, 19 Dec 2012
Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley "Jon Oxley" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
I know a large number of Queen fans will disagree, but this is by far my favourite period of the band. Every man and his dog will have an opinion about what tracks should be included. Personally, I would have liked to have seen White Queen (from second album), Death On Two Legs and Love Of My Life (from ANATO) and You Take My Breath Away (from ADATR). Nice to see so many tracks from Sheer Heart Attack (always been my favourite studio album). Overall, quite an interesting, reasonably priced compilation. Just a quick comment about the second and third Deep Cuts - the second set of 5 albums are certainly varied and there are still some cracking album tracks to be explored, but I wasn't overly impressed with the track listing. By the time of The Works, the group were, with exceptions, more of a singles band. The majority of the tracks on the third volume really didn't appeal to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kibngs of Rock, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
Just some of the best album tracks & lesser known singles by the best rock band ever. Mostly earlier tracks which were a lot heavier but also tunes like Long Away & Good Company show what great song writers they were. A must for all Queen collectors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 12 Aug 2011
Smeghead (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
Great to get an interesting collection of Queen's old stuff. I never got round to replacing my old vinyl collection. I'm glad, because the tracks on Deep Cuts are the ones I'd have skipped others to listen to. Great choices, especially the subline 39 from NATO and Tenament Funster from SHA. Great to hear Keep Yourself Alive again if only to remind myself how stupid the BBC were for not giving it airplay.

Quibbles: I wouldn't have included anything from Day at the Races, and certainly not the 2 tracks that made it onto this CD. And I might have skipped My Fairy King in favour of Doing Alright or The Night Comes Down from Q1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation but . . ., 20 Mar 2011
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
Basically a great compilation and a good introduction to early Queen for casual fans but would a rarity or just a couple of remixes not have been possible?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff but not the best, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
I cannot see the point in this release, especially as there are no rarities. Also why wasn't Liar, Brighton Rock and Now I'm Here included. I won't be buying this because ALL the tracks are on the official re-release editions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but the best track of the rest is missing, 29 Jun 2011
Mr. C. Clarke (Newtownards, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
I love the idea Queen had in releasing Deep Cuts, it gives listeners who own the platinum collection a chance to experience other classic songs by the greatest rock band between Mars and Mercury. All the tracks showcase Freddies immense vocal talent, particularly 'Lily of the Valley' and 'My Fairy King' and in some cases he raises his voice in anger when he knows he never should do, such as Ogre Battle. Before this release I knelt down and prayed that my favourite track would be on this album but unfortunately it wasnt, and I had a drink of wine to console myself. I still however will listen to Deep Cuts till my dying day as it is filled with really good songs, probably will listen to it all day long tomorrow in fact.

My favourite song on this album has to be 'March of the Black Queen' as it is so creative and imaginative, and when I heard Brian May describe how they used hundreds of overdubs I thought 'is he lying to me?'

I would highly recommend this album to Queen fans and non-Queen fans alike, as the quality of the music is high even though some of the tracks are an acquired taste in my opinion. Even if nobody believes me, I still feel this is true.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first of 3, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
In the beginning there was Freddie and Brian, But this it nice. Old stuff, collect if and a good cd with Decon, Freddie, Brian and Taylor stuff on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!! for those who like to know a bit more of Queen, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
This CD is a high quality album with great hits of the first years of the band.

For those who enjoy their music will be happy with this album, and for those who don't know much about them it's a great possibility to do it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen Rocks, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) (Audio CD)
This CD is better then all the last CD's that came out (before they were remastered) I'm glad that Queen remastered the songs and I hope they release the early live concerts as well on CD and DVD

ARRAY(0xb0835dec)

Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976)
Deep Cuts (Volume One 1973-1976) by Queen (Audio CD - 2011)