5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Linux
I bought this NanoKontrol2 to use with soft synths and mixing software on Linux - works great.
It was recognized and in use straight away with Jack, AmSynth, Hydrogen drum machine and Ardour mixing software.

Published on 22 Jan 2012 by footnote

2.0 out of 5 stars Constantly having to restart and reinstall it
I constantly have to reinstall the product into Logic 9 and also having to resart that program as my Nanokontrol 2 just either fails to start or stops working half way into a session.

Yes I have updated to the latest firmware, but it's not a great product in my opinion.
Published 12 months ago by YPN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Linux, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Korg NANOKONTROL2-BK 8 Channel USB Controller - Black (Electronics)

I haven't been able to find a native Linux app to change the control codes that the device sends out, but the editor software for Windows from Korg's site worked fine under Wine 1.0.1 on Debian (current version - squeeze, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).

Editor, driver and firmware upgrade for Windows and Mac need to be downloaded from Korg's site.
For Linux, you only need the Windows editor software. The driver is not required and, if you try to install it under Wine, the editor will not find the device (it will not install properly anyway). I didn't try the firmware upgrade as the device works perfectly.

The editor can load and save settings as files so mappings can be sent to the controller in seconds.

Versatile piece of kit, with accurate controls and a nice amount of friction to them. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Option for Those that want MIDI Control, 1 Jun 2012
I have owned the NanoKontrol2 for 3 months now and I absolutely love it.
It's logical layout is made up of 8 columns each containing a fader, rotary encoder and 3 buttons. It also has supposed transport controls to the left.
The quality of the components though isn't too great, the faders and encoders do feel light and plasticky. However for 44 I really don't care. The controller allows me to program lots of MIDI control.
It's layout is optimised for programming in DAWs however I have only programmed it within Traktor. Using it in two modes - a sample deck player and an FX controller. It works absolutely great and its size means I can pick it up while using and get really creative!
For those starting to want to own some hardware of their own, this is a great option. And for those who want to expand the boundaries of control it is also a great addition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not fully implemented across all DAW's, 27 Feb 2012
J. Wren "An guy" (To the West of London) - See all my reviews
It's a nice compact piece of kit. All the controls feel nice enough and work within my DAW.
However, none of the button lights work as you'd expect.
Transport or channel strip buttons do not light up when pressed.
I'm am using Cubase 5.3 on Win 7 64bt
On researching the issue it appears to be something to do with the lights only working with sysex messages and not cc.
As a moderator on the Korg forums pointed out "it's a 40 controller".
With that in mind, and the fact that it does everything else I want it to. I'm giving it 4 stars.
I have no remorse in my purchase.
It's making work easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good remote control, 4 Jun 2014
This is a very good remote control given the low price. I'm using it to control midi synths and the master volume in Mainstage during live gigs. Works very reliably, never had a problem.

One negative point though is that it won't run via an unpowered hub, it needs to be plugged directly into a USB port on my Mac Book Pro otherwise it won't power up properly. This is a pity because the latest macbooks only have 2 usb ports.

I tried it with Cubase 7.5 too and it integrated very well with no probs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great who needs to spend 100s ?, 25 May 2012
J. M. F. Hill "gobz" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
Great space saver in my home studio, works a treat as a DAW controller with Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 ! has more or less the same functions of a controller costing 100`s. Also means that I can get rid of all my larger Novation gear on ebay and I`ll be glad to see the back of the dreadful and unreliable AutoMap software that powered them. You could control soft-synths with this too although really it`s better to use a half decent mother-keyboard with sliders and knobs etc like CME gear or the M-Audio Axiom`s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect compact midi controller, 12 Jan 2012
If space is limited or you want to have something easy to pop into your bag, this is a great little controller. Build quality is better than other mini controllers I've used. Super piece of kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little controller, 30 May 2014
This USB controller is great for the money. It's not got flying faders, it's not an Avid artist mix, it doesn't make tea, but as a device for creating MIDI for your virtual instruments I can't recommend this enough... All the buttons are completely assignable using the software can be downloaded. Build quality is satisfactory for price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little mixer for Reaper DAW, 9 Aug 2013
Alan Kyle (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a cheap conrol surface for my DAW (Cockos Reaper). it was as expected, if you use in Reaper though, select Mackie control surface in the preferences and you will be greeted with all kinds of slider movements on the screen!.. well, to overcome this, first select "Sonar template" in Korg Nanokontrol, then search cockos website for "clinke's mackie control surface" and install that in Reaper (see help files on how to do) and then hey presto, that will work on each slider independently along with pan, controls like mute, record, solo, play, rewind, forward, markers (you cant insert markers with nanokontrol, but you can by pressing M on keyboard, and then selecting with nanokontrol marker button.

It works well, and does what it says, it's cheap, cheerful, and fairly well made for the price.

Some people say they never got USB cables included, they are stuffed in a compartment at one end of the box and could be passed by if you dont open both ends!.. so check before throwing the box away :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 9 Sep 2013
I use this with ableton and it works like a charm. I don't expect this to work for ages but this doesn't bother because i spent so little on this :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Constantly having to restart and reinstall it, 17 July 2013