4.0 out of 5 stars Different kind of crime novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Morgue Drawer four
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars Different kind of crime novel, 11 Dec. 2011
Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book about poor Martin, who is minding his own business getting on with his job as a coroner, when suddenly the ghost of one of his "clients", Pasha, starts to talk to him. Martin is really not the type of man to go out solving crimes, especially when this involves visiting criminals and prostitutes, but he is the only person Pasha can communicate with. They form an unlikely partnership as they hunt down Pasha's killer. This book is a good read and is a different take on the usual detective fiction. The book appears to be the first in a series so it will be interesting to see how the storyline develops.

4.0 out of 5 stars From a Ghost's Viewpoint, 3 Dec. 2011
HJK (Gomersal UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The novel starts with Pasha, a small-time car thief in Cologne, stealing a car to order - soon after that he finds himself in the Morgue - in Drawer Four - to be precise - as in the title.

Martin is a doctor working for the coroner's office and he does the autopsy on Pasha.

Pasha finds he can communicate with Martin and the story goes on with this unlikely duo investigating the cause of Pasha's death. (The concept reminded me of a TV series from the 70s or 80s? called "Randall and Hopkirk Deceased"? who were a private investigation team and one of them was a ghost)

The story is told from the viewpoint of Pasha - first alive and then the ghost. It is a very different take on the forensic science novel.

There is a lot of wit and humour in this novel and the story was very interesting moving through the seedy parts of the city and the world of car smuggling - the ending came very suddenly and one was left wanting more. There are more novels by Jutta Profijt - I wonder if they are about Martin only or does Pasha appear again - will have to wait to see when they come out in translation.

The ONE thing I did NOT LIKE about the novel was the TRANSLATION - the original written in German has been translated and I am sure very well but the language is very AMERICAN English and I found it hard to picture a European city and its low life when the language evoked American situations with American slang - so for me it did not conjurer up the feeling of a novel set in Europe - however that is a personal view and the book with mixture of light hearted and serious is a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Morgue Drawer four, 28 Dec. 2011
Kate (england) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very attracted to the idea of this book but my main feeling as I started to read was that it was written by two different people, one doing the character of Martin, the morgue pathologist, the other that of Pascha the victim and ghost. I liked Martin but I quickly tired of Pascha's laddish attitude and I didn't find his patter very funny. Whether this was the writing of the original author or the slant put on it by the translator I don't know but it didn't work for me. The interaction between the two characters was entertaining but I found the plot predictable and rather obvious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghostly Goings-On, 4 Dec. 2011
Emile Zola reader "Gervaise" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Morgue Drawer Four reminded me a little of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, the TV programme first broadcast on TV in 1969.

The story begins when Pascha, a likeable rogue who lives on the fringe of Cologne's underworld, gets himself ready for work. Pascha's `occupation' is stealing cars to order for a gang of international car smugglers.
Just before he hands the stolen car over, Pascha is shocked to discover the dead body of a young woman in the boot of the Mercedes SLR. Without mentioning the body, Pascha takes his money and decides to lie low for a time. Unfortunately for him, whilst descending a temporary set of stairs on a railway overpass, Pascha falls 6 metres to his death.

Pascha's death is deemed to be accidental by Martin, the prim and uptight Coroner for Cologne (he collects maps of cities) and the police are satisfied that no crime has been committed. However, the spirit of Pascha rises from Morgue Draw Four to confront poor Martin and demand that he investigates his `murder'. This is the start of the comical and sometimes menacing escapades in the quest to find the person who pushed Pascha to his death.

I read this book in two sittings, it's an easy and enjoyable read. However, two little niggles: I did find that halfway through the book the language became a little `wordy' and irrelevant - one sentence often turned into a short paragraph. Secondly, I would have liked the characters of Pascha and Martin to be fleshed out a little more. Perhaps this will happen in Ms Profijt's follow-ups entitled Morgue Drawer Next Door and Morgue Drawer to Rent.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining, but Unlikely Partnership, 30 Nov. 2011
Brett H (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Morgue Drawer Four is translated from the German as part of the Amazon Crossings programme. The title refers to the place of residence of the body of the late Pascha, a small time car thief who has come to a violent end. Not quite an absolute end though since his spirit is still hanging around and attaches itself to Martin, the coroner who appears to be the only person he can communicate with.

This is quite a light weight book in terms of its length and quite light hearted as to its content. The story is told by Pascha, who is clearly sharp witted with a strong measure of native cunning and with quite an edge of sarcasm. His observations and running commentary, particularly on the subject of Martin's perceived failings, are at times extremely funny. It is absolute irony that circumstances have attached him to Martin as the two are as different as chalk and cheese. Martin is studious and serious, and goes about everything in a slow, methodical, reasoning fashion. Pascha is impulsive and used to living life in the fast lane. When he enlists Martin's help in seeking his killer, Martin's measured approach is a constant source of irritation to Pascha.

Initially I thought the translation a little awkward, but I think this was due to the literal translation of colloquial German expressions which did not mean much in English. However, overall, I think the translator did an excellent job and the story flows very well. The reader is only occasionally aware that this is a translation.

This is not a page turner, but it is highly entertaining. The story and delivery certainly appealed to me with my warped sense of humour although I imagine the style will not appeal to everyone. I thought the ending was a little abrupt and not up to the standard of the rest of the book. It was almost as though the author was a little at a loss as to how to finish off her tale elegantly. There are two more Pascha/Martin stories which have already been published in German - In the Freezer Next Door and Freezer for Rent - I look forward to reading the English translations in due course.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little slow but you get some chuckles, 8 Dec. 2011
Kash (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is translated from its original german and I think they've done a great job, I've read translated books in the past and they've been quite poor with the english language but this is done really well.

The story involves the relationship between a coroner and a 'spirit' of a recently dead where the spirit wants the coroners help to find out who killed him. Like I've said the story is a little bit slow with Pasha, the spirit, always going on about finding out who killed him. There are some points in the story where you get a little chuckle, the 2 characters of Pasha and the coroner Martin are chalk and cheese and have nothing in common but they have to learn to 'live' together.

Finding out who done it at the end is a little bit anti-climatic but as this is a short story (not too many pages) it didn't feel like I was having to wade through the book. There are obviously going to be other books and I would imagine with both Pasha and Martin being the main stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 14 Dec. 2011
Viki "Viki" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book reminded me of another author: Casey Daniels and her Pepper Martin stories. The difference being that this story is told from the point of view of the ghost rather than the person being haunted until they right the wrong that has been done. I liked the characters - they were so different from each other; the coroner is the typical stuffy academic and the ghost is a streetwise criminal so their interactions were quite amusing. The fact that this book has been translated makes it a bit stilted in parts but still readable. I enjoyed this story but feel it has been done before and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly enjoyable, excellent translation, 21 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Morgue Drawer Four (Morgue Drawer series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love this entertaining story, with the ' low-life hoodlum' haunting the slightly geeky but lovable pathologist. The translation is particularly fine. I can't imagine how the translator managed to make it sound so natural and comfortable since the slang and colloquialisms would not translate directly.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series though I'm hoping it will be longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two and a half out of five., 16 Feb. 2013
I read this book and, while it trotted along nicely, I didn't enjoy it that much. After giving it some thought I decided it was because I just didn't like the characters. Martin is alternately pathetic and petulant. Pascha is just a nasty, selfish piece of work who doesn't quite redeem himself. The female characters are utterly one-dimensional, although I suppose that's because we see the action through Pascha's eyes, and that's how he views them. The plot revolves around Pascha solving the mystery of his own death, but since I didn't really care about him I didn't especially care about the story. The book does, however, have lots of snappy dialogue and an atmospheric style that just about kept me interested. Maybe other books develop the characters further, but I don't think I'll bother. Overall two and a half stars out of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 27 Sept. 2012
Dawn Mcmillan (London UK) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book,it was a well written detective story but in addition the relationship between Pascha and Martin is often very funny and the characters are well drawn and believable (this despite the fact that Pascha is a ghost) I'd recommend it as a really good read.