Le Creuset Stoneware Pie Bird - Cerise
Colour: CeriseChange
Price:£6.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 9 June 2011
A useful PIE BIRD funnel from LE CREUSET designed to be used with their pie dish range.

COLOUR : ALMOND
MATERIAL : STONEWARE

Once released the neat little PIE BIRD measures in at approximately:

* 9 cm high from the tip of his open beak to his Le Creuset embossed base and around 4 cm wide

'This Le Creuset Pie Bird Funnel is the perfect item to use when baking a pie with a pastry lid. Simply place the bird in the centre of the dish before covering the pie with the pastry lid, cutting a hole for the bird to poke through and securing the pastry around its shoulders. The top of the funnel pokes up through the pastry, supporting it and preventing it from dropping into the filling as it bakes. Also the pie bird funnel has openings at the base, so the pie juices can bubble freely and the centre is hollow and vented through the beak allowing steam to escape and thus ensuring a dry crisp pastry and no leaks from the filling.'

♦ Made in China
♦ 5 year guarantee
♦ Oven, microwave, freezer & dishwasher safe

After a short soak, I sometimes giving him a gentle prod with a skewer and/or a child's toothbrush and then run him under the tap to dislodge any blockage, before putting him on the top rack of the dishwasher.
on 24 January 2013
As disturbing as I find it to see a bird's head sticking out of a pie, I have to admit this sweet little pie funnel has turned out to be a very good buy. It comes boxed so is presentable as a gift for anyone who loves baking and the box states that it is guaranteed for 5 years.

I have a few cast iron Le Creuset pieces but this was the first of their stoneware items I have bought and I have found it to be just as high quality as the cast iron. I often bake in batches and having baked two identical pies side by side I could see the difference with the one which I'd used the funnel with compared to the one without. The crust seemed less soggy with the use of the funnel and the pie also looked much better as the filling had not splashed out at all during cooking. I would recommend this and I'm considering buying a second one.
on 4 June 2011
◄ Apologies. Amazon has amalgamated products and this review now appears as a duplicate. ►

A colourful little STONEWARE PIE BIRD funnel from LE CREUSET, designed to be used with their pie dish  range.

COLOUR : CERISE

He comes safely packed in his own little box, measuring around 9 cm x 6 cm x 6 cm.
Once released, the neat little PIE BIRD measures in at approximately:

♦ Made in China
♦ 5 year guarantee
♦ Oven, microwave, freezer & dishwasher safe

on 11 February 2014
~ Apologies. Amazon has amalgamated products and this review now appears as a duplicate. ~

COLOUR : ALMOND (aka PEARL)

Once released, the neat little PIE BIRD measures approximately:

* 9 cm high from the tip of his open beak to his Le Creuset embossed base, and around 4 cm wide

* Made in China

* Made in China
* 5 year guarantee
* Oven, microwave, freezer & dishwasher safe

on 26 December 2012
I simply couldn't resist this adorable little sweetie in the Christmas Shop sales for just £3.75! - and I wasn't disappointed either.

This sweet little pie funnel really is as cute as it is in it's picture, and being from Le Creuset, it is also of excellent quality too. A big bonus with me is that, as it is so neat and a little smaller than some of the other bird pie funnels that are around, it not only does it's job beautifully - but also without taking up too much space within the pie that could be better packed with more filling instead.

It came nicely packaged in it's own pretty little box and I think that it would make a really great gift for any cook, as it is a solid and sturdy little chap with a very lovely smooth finish that certainly does seem to be an "easy clean - chipping, scratching, cracking and stain resistant surface" - and the 5 year guarantee must surely suggest that Le Creuset feel that they can confidently back this claim up too?!

In fact, I was so impressed that I also bought it's mate in the Cerise colour as well. Now I can make two different pies at the same time, and simply be able to tell at a glance which is which, by the colour of the funnel. I just wish that the Cobalt Blue one was also available on Amazon too?! - here's hoping!
on 22 October 2012
It's hard to really write a detailed review on an item like this; I mean, it's a pie bird, it's not a complex piece of equipment.

But it certainly does what it's supposed to do. I definitely think my pies are better for having it. It helps support the top crust during baking, so no "sunken crusts." It definitely releases steam, so the fillings don't get too soggy. I generally use mine for various meat pies, rather than fruit pies; I did find when attempting a cherry pie that the filling was far too liquidy and perhaps would have benefitted from cuts in the crust to allow more steam to escape, but I believe that was a problem with the recipe rather than with the pie bird.

Plus, the little guy looks adorable. I keep him in his box, with the cardboard insert that keeps him nice and tidy, but he would be just fine out on a shelf as part of the decor as well.

The shiny coating is easy to clean, but I used to have a bit of an issue with tiny bits of food inside the belly, neck, and head, as a sponge won't fit. I'd found that a cheap toothbrush (I got a pack of five for a pound from the grocery store) worked wonders in getting out tiny particles of food from the mouth-hole, so now I also use that same toothbrush to scrub the inside, just to make sure he's perfectly clean before he goes back into the box.

I got mine as a birthday gift in August of last year (so 15 months ago now), and have used it at least a couple of times a month since, and it still looks brand-new. The coating doesn't chip or crack even when my knife blade hits it or scrapes it.

I love Le Creuset, and I do love this little bird. It's one of those pieces that isn't really necessary, but makes you feel good to have and use; just a handy, inexpensive item that makes your pies that little bit nicer to look at and cut into.
on 30 December 2014
I ordered this as a present for a friend of mine who is often baking pies. She was really awed because such an item does not exist here in Italy. Of course I bought one for myself too, and after trying it I must say it's really a clever idea. It works. Just a little annoying when you have to wash it, the dough sticks to the bird's interior but if you soak it in warm water for a while, then it gets easier.
on 11 March 2013
This made a lovely gift and is a nice piece of kit for any pie lover or baker. Great value for money and quick delivery too. Thanks!
on 23 January 2013
The popularity of home cooking makes this a necessity in the kitchen, prevents soggy pies. Now a make pies like my mum used to!