Format: DVDChange

on 18 January 2013
I first saw this production many years ago, probably when it was first released. It is still the best with the actors/actresses in each of the roles capturing the characters and spirit of the times superbly. Don't bother with the more recent production which I couldn't watch for any length of time because it did not measure up to this one. Make sure you buy this version. And dont worry about the quibbles of other reviewers about the quality. Yes it is not laser sharp but the acting and story are so good you don't notice. I didnt even think about the film quality until I read the reviews. It is an older production before more advanced filming technologies were available.
on 3 March 2011
Finally - I mean some of us have been waiting nearly 30 years for this series to be released! Every character and scene has been faithfully brought to the screen, straight from Mitford's 2 books (Love in a Cold Climate and Pursuit of Love); cleverly intertwined into 1 hilarious adaptation. Mitford fans and fans of British period drama will not be disappointed - this is wonderful!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2011
I'm so pleased that they have at long last decided to release this (I can't believe it is over 30 years since this was screened - where did the time go!). This was a wonderful adaptation of two of of my favorite books (The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate) but with such a cast, how could it be anything other than perfect. Nancy Mitford's humour has stood the test of time and her ability to express in a few light sentences the agony (and joys) of growing up, of feeling gauche and unsure of yourself, the slight hero worshiop of people who seemed to fit in effortlessly, of learning how to find your feet in the world and, above of all, of being in love, surely crosses all class and time boundaries. I've just realised I'm reviewing the books rather than the adaptation, and to be honest, all I can remember of the TV series, after 30 years, is how good it was and how much I've longed to see it again. It was essential viewing in our house and, if I remember correctly, a very faithful and beautiful adaptation of the books.
on 21 May 2011
The wait is over. At last, this gem of British television is being released on DVD. This is a luscious, but at the same time astringent re-creation of that era before and during war, when 'society' was being put under the microscope by its own members, and there are few more objective critics of their own set than Nancy Mitford.
Felicities abound throughout this series, with much humour but much sadness too. For many years I thought the executives of Thames Television were absolute sewers, for not releasing this on DVD. Fortunately I am now able to set the trenching-tool down and relax, for soon it will be at my side, to comfort me alongside my Amelita Galli-Curci 78s. This was one of the finest literary adaptations created for television, ranking alongside 'Brideshead Revisited' for its honest transcription of a literary gem.
We are being spoilt. 'Civilisation' has at last made its appearance on Blu ray, Andrew Davies' 'Pride and Prejudice' has already appeared in that format. If we wait, we may even be given the wonderful 'Cold Comfort Farm' of 1968, with Alastair Sim as Amos Starkadder.....
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2015
I don't know. Do love it, do I not? I bought this because it comes from the same TV stable as the wonderful 1985/6 Channel 4 production of Mapp and Lucia. ( I will not comment on the recent BBC League of Gentleman version!).
It is beautifully done - and with a carefully underacting (youngish) Judi Dench. The atmosphere of privileged English society before the war is accurately portrayed. The eagerness of schoolgirl frumpy dresses to seek knowledge of the mysterious "it" = sex is perfect. I feel it is an accurate transcription of the two novels on to the TV screen. This is also its minor failing when every so often it seems to lose its narrative drive. Also there do seem to be odd pauses in the narrative as though the scriptwriter (Simon Raven) were reluctant to add his own words to Miss Mitford's. Somehow there are too many dramatic longuers when characters outstay their welcome. Perhaps its 400 minute length was more than it needed.I am glad I have bought it, but it reminds me of the more exciting Rosamund Pike and Alan Bates version. Maybe I'll buy that as well
Note - the sound is not brilliant, but adequate considering its age.
on 18 October 2011
I will say nothing about the content of the series, it has all been said.
But I must say I am very disappointed that a digital version of this production constantly flickers with black spots, scratches and whatnot, not to mention the very poor sound quality. I understand it takes so long to offer older TV favourites on DVD because some digital mastering work needs to be done. Well? I have DVDs of Hitchcock's works which are of better quality both for the eye and the ear. In this case, nobody even took the care to dust. I am so happy that I finally can watch this again - but at the same time, I am very disappointed by the technical quality.
Best, Stef
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2012
This is a lovely period drama to add to any collection well acted by excellent cast but being hard of hearing oh how I miss the facility of subtitles.
on 20 October 2011
As others have pointed out, this ITV adaptation of Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate is impeccable. Unfortunately, however, it has been released on DVD by Network who appear to have taken no care in looking after the original materials or made any investment in ensuring a high quality transfer. The quality of the image is so degraded that I found it very hard to concentrate on the drama. Others might not be so bothered, but this really isn't anywhere near the quality of older BBC TV releases on DVD. A very disappointing release indeed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2015
I hate to write a poor review of anything featuring Judi Dench, particularly since she is very good in it, but this production has dated very badly. Not that I mind TV drama form the 80s (as this is) or indeed the 70s or 60s, I do love a lot of old TV series from that time, however, the problem here is that the staginess of the production on the indoor scenes keep reminding me that these are people pretending. Getting jolted out of the reality of any drama is nearly always the death blow to the production. Many of the performances make no concessions it being a television recording and so lines are delivered, and facial expressions set, as if they needed to be heard and seen from the back row of a very long theatre.

Some advocates of this dramatisation over the 2001 Tom Hooper adaptation say that that later version is too frivolous or that it missed out too much of the action from Mitford's books. I couldn't agree less. the same dialogue is used (albeit sometimes transferred to a slightly different context) but more successfully delivered in that later version.

The child actors in this version are way out of their depth and are unconvincing which may have been the inspiration for Tom Hooper directed version dropping all but the child hunt scene from the period prior to the Montdore's going to India.

I managed to watch the whole thing through, my wife could not stand the "shouty" performances of many of the actors and gave up in the middle of the first episode.

A second star for Judi Dench's performance but otherwise this would be struggling to get one. Nancy Mitford wrote some great lines in these books but there are too many of them delivered unconvincingly here. I am very disappointed by this, especially since it came so highly recommended by reviewers who clearly have their nostalgia goggles turned up to 11.
on 25 August 2013
I didn't realise that it was such an old series so looked very dated but I thought it was interesting and had characters I liked. I bought it because so many reviews said they were pleased it had been released and I love Judi Dench although her part wasn't huge. Held my and my husband's attention to the end.