5.0 out of 5 stars The best adaptation
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

I will say nothing about the content of the series, it has all been said.
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by Mohrmann, Stefanie

5.0 out of 5 stars The best adaptation, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Love in a Cold Climate - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980] (DVD)
I first saw this production many years ago, probably when it was first released. It is still the best with the actors/actresses in each of the roles capturing the characters and spirit of the times superbly. Don't bother with the more recent production which I couldn't watch for any length of time because it did not measure up to this one. Make sure you buy this version. And dont worry about the quibbles of other reviewers about the quality. Yes it is not laser sharp but the acting and story are so good you don't notice. I didnt even think about the film quality until I read the reviews. It is an older production before more advanced filming technologies were available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best adaptation ever, 3 Mar 2011
Finally - I mean some of us have been waiting nearly 30 years for this series to be released! Every character and scene has been faithfully brought to the screen, straight from Mitford's 2 books (Love in a Cold Climate and Pursuit of Love); cleverly intertwined into 1 hilarious adaptation. Mitford fans and fans of British period drama will not be disappointed - this is wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars The wait is over ....., 21 May 2011
Anthony Clarke (Woodend, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
The wait is over. At last, this gem of British television is being released on DVD. This is a luscious, but at the same time astringent re-creation of that era before and during war, when 'society' was being put under the microscope by its own members, and there are few more objective critics of their own set than Nancy Mitford.
Felicities abound throughout this series, with much humour but much sadness too. For many years I thought the executives of Thames Television were absolute sewers, for not releasing this on DVD. Fortunately I am now able to set the trenching-tool down and relax, for soon it will be at my side, to comfort me alongside my Amelita Galli-Curci 78s. This was one of the finest literary adaptations created for television, ranking alongside 'Brideshead Revisited' for its honest transcription of a literary gem.
We are being spoilt. 'Civilisation' has at last made its appearance on Blu ray, Andrew Davies' 'Pride and Prejudice' has already appeared in that format. If we wait, we may even be given the wonderful 'Cold Comfort Farm' of 1968, with Alastair Sim as Amos Starkadder.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful news!, 25 April 2011
I'm so pleased that they have at long last decided to release this (I can't believe it is over 30 years since this was screened - where did the time go!). This was a wonderful adaptation of two of of my favorite books (The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate) but with such a cast, how could it be anything other than perfect. Nancy Mitford's humour has stood the test of time and her ability to express in a few light sentences the agony (and joys) of growing up, of feeling gauche and unsure of yourself, the slight hero worshiop of people who seemed to fit in effortlessly, of learning how to find your feet in the world and, above of all, of being in love, surely crosses all class and time boundaries. I've just realised I'm reviewing the books rather than the adaptation, and to be honest, all I can remember of the TV series, after 30 years, is how good it was and how much I've longed to see it again. It was essential viewing in our house and, if I remember correctly, a very faithful and beautiful adaptation of the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best TV series ever made, 24 Mar 2013
Mr. Erich A. Mayer "Erich Mayer" (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
While the story is more or less loosely based on a family that existed I enjoy this as a work of fiction, the characters exaggerated, the acting superb, the comedy and tragedy and contradictions of life so adroitly portrayed.

4.0 out of 5 stars subtitles, 12 Aug 2012
D. Hinton (Wales England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely period drama to add to any collection well acted by excellent cast but being hard of hearing oh how I miss the facility of subtitles.

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful series - but couldn't they have preserved it better?, 18 Oct 2011
Mohrmann, Stefanie (Deutschland) - See all my reviews
I will say nothing about the content of the series, it has all been said.
But I must say I am very disappointed that a digital version of this production constantly flickers with black spots, scratches and whatnot, not to mention the very poor sound quality. I understand it takes so long to offer older TV favourites on DVD because some digital mastering work needs to be done. Well? I have DVDs of Hitchcock's works which are of better quality both for the eye and the ear. In this case, nobody even took the care to dust. I am so happy that I finally can watch this again - but at the same time, I am very disappointed by the technical quality.
Best, Stef

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful transfer of a brilliant TV adaptation, 20 Oct 2011
Henry Turner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
As others have pointed out, this ITV adaptation of Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate is impeccable. Unfortunately, however, it has been released on DVD by Network who appear to have taken no care in looking after the original materials or made any investment in ensuring a high quality transfer. The quality of the image is so degraded that I found it very hard to concentrate on the drama. Others might not be so bothered, but this really isn't anywhere near the quality of older BBC TV releases on DVD. A very disappointing release indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Middle-class Mitfords, 28 Oct 2013
I enjoyed Tom Hooper's 2000/2001 adaptation with Alan Bates, Celia Imrie and Rosamund Pike. This older version has more than double the running time so I hoped it might allow for more in-depth characterisation. Sadly this is not the case and Simon Raven's adaptation doesn't have the wit and pace of the remake. The biggest problem here, however, is the casting: nobody comes across as convincingly aristocratic, nor particularly likeable.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry, 31 Mar 2014
It's a personal response and I just didn't enjoy it one bit. It has dated badly and I found the characters either ridiculous or boring. Her role does Judi Dench no favours; she seemed stilted with nothing to 'get her teeth into'. I watched the first two episodes then took it to the charity shop.

Love in a Cold Climate - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980]