4.0 out of 5 stars Classy

3.0 out of 5 stars desert boots
Published on 17 Sep 2011 by redvanman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars desert boots, 17 Sep 2011
i am 56,i used to wear these boots in the seventies so i thought i would relive my youth and go back to them.the fact is,when i put them on they felt strange,the sole is thin so you can tell if a coin is heads or tails if you stood on it.there is no lining to cushion your foot.the lace position is low which means your heel comes out as you walk thereby rubbing your heel.however they are a design classic,when i look down at them i like them,it takes me back to my twenties,they look great with jeans and i dont regret buying them

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy, 29 Jan 2013
J. A. Hoogenboezem (Maastricht, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of sand desert boots, just because I wanted to have the original boot that came out in the late 40s. Anf there was a great deal of sentimental journeying in it too, because I walked on desert boots all through my schooldays and university days. They are beautiful, just a bit less refined and more uncouth than the Loake desert boots I normally wear, but they are the originals, and that compensates much. I have the feeling that the quality is a bit less than when I bought these shoes in the 70s and 80s, but they're still very acceptable shoes quality- wise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great versatile boots, 29 July 2014
M. Bridges (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I tried these on in the shoe shop before ordering on Amazon, so I knew what I was getting, but I'm still very happy with the shoes. They are comfortable, the suede is nice and soft and the soles offer good grip. They are a good all year boot, they aren't too heavy so can be worn in the warmer months too. They are a timeless classic design so can't really see them going out of fashion anytime soon and they go well with loads of different outfits, chinos, skinny jeans, even smarter trousers; you can dress up or down with them. I'm very impressed with the quality of these boots. They are very well made and the materials used feel top notch.

Fit wise, I normally wear a 9 or 10, and found a 9.5 to be a perfect fit. The Clarks website advises you to order slightly larger as they are a narrow fit, but I didn't find this necessary. As I mentioned above though, I tried before buying so as to avoid any risks. The cola colour looks as it does in the photos, and is an interesting alternative to the standard darker brown. I could certainly see myself getting these in another colour at some point in the future; I tend to do that when I find a pair of shoes I like!

Overall I would describe the Clarks Desert Boot as a stylish, versatile, comfortable boot. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who is considering them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 19 April 2014
A classic that all men should have in their wardrobe, works as smart and casual. In my opinion still the best available desert boots although admittedly not the cheapest. If you have a wide foot you would possibly want to follow Clarks own advice and go up a half size otherwise they are a true fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert boots, 25 Dec 2012
A timeless classic.
Quality and durability are slightly lower than thirty years ago.
Five stars anyway; will be 5+ when they are made in England again (not in Vietnam).

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore description don't buy a larger size, 23 Oct 2014
These boots are great and have a real premium feel. The stitching is excellent and they feel like decent quality shoes.

The only problem is in the description it says to buy half a size larger than normal due to how they make the boots. Don't do that. I did, I'm usually a 10 so duly bought a 10.5 and guess what, it was half a size too big.

Fortunately Amazon's returns process is so easy but it is still extra hassle you could do without.

4.0 out of 5 stars My third Desert Boot (two were from other brands), 31 May 2013
R. BRAMBLE (London) - See all my reviews
I'm going to try to combine my views of the three different Desert Boots I've owned over the past couple of years. I've bought these boots as my 'walking to work' boots. I walk about 3.5 miles a day in these, Monday to Friday. I hope this will help you in deciding what to buy...

My first Desert Boot was a Hush Puppies variant. It was well made and very comfortable - the most comfortable of the three, though to my mind, they weren't the best looking of the three. These lasted about a year. They are still around and still look cool. They work, it's just that the sole is now a bit too thin for walking and there's now a lot less grip in the rain.

So my second Desert Boot was bought on Amazon and it was a cheaper variant. A non-branded affair that didn't fit as well as the Hush Puppies but was half the price. But they looked OK. Sadly, within 4 months, they were taking on water as the soles split and the heels developed a grid-like series of holes.

So I had to pit stop into a Clarks Shop to buy these Clarks Desert Boots. I've just bought these (like 4 days ago) so these are my initial thoughts. I promise to come back and let you know about wear and tear. But these Clarks are in my opinion the best looking Deset Boots, from almost any angle. But they aren't the most comfortable. The uppers and soles of the Hush Puppies are far and away more comfortable. In addition, the backs of the Clarks are quite rigid and likewise the top edge of the back of the boot, such that as I walk, they dig into the backs of my legs. But, after 4 days, they are starting to yield...

In summary then:
For style: I reckon it's the Clarks.
For comfort: The Hush Puppies.
For Value for Money: Well, it's not the cheapos that I bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spotty Dog!, 30 Jun 2014
Very comfortable and perfect for the hot, dry conditions I'm currently working in. Oh, and they look great too, love the colour!

2.0 out of 5 stars no half sizes, 24 Jun 2014
Christopher Bell (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
ordered the size 12 d/b....they were too large,so re-ordered the 11 size....too small...no half sizes availale after 10 1/2 , so had to buy another brand,shame they were nice boots.

3.0 out of 5 stars The color is not dark as expected, 19 Jun 2014
Delivery was good, condition as well but it doesn't fit like the other 2 desert boot I've got and the color is lighter than expected with the picture.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›