5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!
Published on 24 Feb. 2013 by Gary

3.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, flawed design for long life
Published 11 months ago by R. Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!, 24 Feb. 2013
Gary (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
I had a "Healthywhite" variant of this until a couple of weeks ago (when it broke), which lasted just over 2 years (just outside the warranty!). Very good brush, shame it died (little metal linkage inside sheared, battery was fine). Bought this, as I find this type much better than the Oral B type, and I didn't find I ever used the Sensitive setting, and couldn't see what the "white" setting gave over the normal brushing.

This one has on and off, and a quadrant timer, and that's it. No bells and whistles. Works just as well as the more expensive versions though. Completely subjective, but I find it nicer to hold than the healthywhite version as well. I'd suggest you not waste your money on the more expensive versions unless you have got need of the sensitive setting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, flawed design for long life, 14 Aug. 2014
R. Chance - See all my reviews
The good news is this is a great toothbrush, really effective. The bad news as many others have pointed out is its designed to fail uncannily out of warranty so I have had a few, as long as you buy on offer price you can live with it. As an engineer I have carried out post mortems on several. 1st common fault is the rubber seal around the metal spindle the brush fits on, it is very thin and wears and splits, allowing water into the electronics, this causes the erratic behaviour such as random buzzes and charging failure. It can be cured if you can get it apart, dry it out and fill the split seal with silicon sealant. This seal really should be a replaceable and an available part (or a lot thicker!). 2nd fault is the motor linkage breaking. Curiously it seems to be made of die-cast steel instead of normal ductile mild steel. Cast steel is more brittle and will eventually crack and fracture under repeated stress (such as a vibrating mechanism!), curious choice of material eh? You can minimise the stress on this thin bit of metal by avoiding pressing too hard with the brush which you shouldn't do with this type of brush anyway, the high speed does all the work without pressure on the teeth. On the basis of what I have seen I certainly would NOT buy any of the more expensive models. All said, it is a good brush, my dentist has not had to do anything for years and comments on how clean my teeth are with no build up so its worth it in my book, just a pity its made like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleans Teeth Brilliantly, but Unreliable, 6 Sept. 2013
I have been using these Sonicare brushes for about the last 6 years. The quality of the teeth cleaning is excellent. Whether by coincidence or design, since I started using Sonicare on recommendation from my dentist, I have never had another filling since then. After I had a tooth implant, the dentist advised me not to use Braun toothbrushes as it could dislodge the implant, but Sonicare is ok.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that as many other reviewers have pointed out, these toothbrushes seem to be designed by someone who is a total genius in planned obsolescence. I have had about 6 of them, and every single one breaks about a month after the guarantee runs out - same problems as everyone else - broken motor link in the first few models, and more recently, the brush stops charging. I must admit, it must take some really amazing engineering to design a product that consistently breaks just after the guarantee runs out.

My advice is to buy the cheapest model and treat it as a 1 year disposable item if you can afford it.

If anyone from Philips reads these reviews, frankly I would rather pay a higher price for the product and have it last for 5 years, than have to replace it every year....

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare, 20 April 2013
This is a good toothbrush, it does the cleaning job perfectly, however it broke down after 10 months of use, I am not happy about this and not sure if I can get my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean, 29 Aug. 2013
Andrew (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After having read so many glowing reviews of the Sonicare range, I just had to give it a go. The Easyclean HX6511/50 is the best value Sonicare product, offering basically the same performance as the top-of-the-range model but without the unnecessary cleaning modes and fancy packaging. Combine with a Diamondclean HX6062/16 head, and you have a market-leading toothbrush for a fraction of the price.

And yes, it's brilliant. It's very light and easy to use, and the automatic timer makes it easy to brush your teeth for the recommended 2 minutes. My teeth are so smooth and clean, and gradually getting whiter as the plaque is vibrated away at 31,000 strokes per minute!

5.0 out of 5 stars sonicare easiclean toothbrush, 10 Sept. 2012
Bought as a replacement for a much older model. I like this new one, it is slimmer and lighter, keeps the charge really well and shifts plaque like there's no tomorrow! Point of information, you don't have to buy the top range toothbrush from sonicare to get the diamond brush heads. These diamond brush heads fit the easiclean model no problem. And it is my view that it is the brush head, not so much the tooth brush itself that is the main plaque remover.

1.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed to fail, 2 Feb. 2015
Whilst this version of the Sonicare brush works as well as more expensive versions, it suffers from the same faults they alll suffer from - they fail after one year, or soon after. We have now worked our way through FIVE Sonicare toothbrushes in less that three years, replaceing two under warranty. In any other circumstance this would be a scandal. We will not be buying another such brush until Philips improve reliability and longevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works well, 5 April 2015
Six months ago I bought this sonic toothbrush. The reason was that my new dentist has an obsession about maintaining healthy gums and keeping plaque at bay. The initial treatment I had to remove the plaque I had was so painful I vowed that never again would I let my gums get into this condition! So I bought this sonic toothbrush together with the Philips power flosser hoping that this duo should do the trick.

Now, six months later, I can say that the sonic toothbrush has performed very well. My dentist was astonished at the improvement and said I needn't go back for at least six months and there was no real point in seeing the hygienist as she couldn't do any better than I was doing for myself. The power flosser has rather fallen by the wayside as it is a little fiddly to fill up and, anyway, the sonic brush seems to send a jet of water through the gaps in the teeth whilst brushing.

I cannot comment on the longevity of the brush but can say it is effective. The rechargeable battery lasts at least a month of very regular and long usage. The brush is very slim and does topple over easily, which is annoying. The long, slender 'stem' of the brush itself does enable one to reach everywhere in the mouth, which is good.

In summary, the brush works well. The only other 'tool' I would use is a small headed brush the hygienist gave me. This simple brush can get in the gaps very effectively and remove tougher plaques. Flossing with floss and using the 'jet flosser' I found less useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonicare is an excellent choice, 21 July 2012
The Philips Sonicare was recommended to me by my hygenist. It holds a good charge and is easy to use. It gives teeth the just polished feel after every use. I would thoroughly recommend it. This product was a competative price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleans your teeth and wallet!, 21 Sept. 2014
M. BERNARD (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
There are hundreds of reviews for these Philips Sonicare toothbrushes but here is my simple view.

I have used many electric brushes over the years but can say I find the Philips Sonicare the best to use. They have the cleaning performance to match the best and are simple to use. Unlike some other makes the brush heads are solid, with no holes or moving parts, so no foodstuff gets stuck inside. In other words I feel they are the most hygienic head on the market!

This is almost the cheapest model in their range but in fact is all you need. It has the higher speed (31,000 oscillations) and essential timer function. You don't need all the other modes the more expensive models offer; I know I have tried many in the past!

That brings me onto the only negative point about this toothbrush, which also applies to all the other electric toothbrushes on the market I have tried. They only last between 2 to 4 years before failing, usually as the seal fails where the metal shaft enters the body that then allows water to enter and short out the internal circuit. Add on the cost of replacement brush heads and your wallet will certainly be lighter.

However, even given the above, I still keep on buying them as they are the best way to keep your teeth clean and the dentist at bay! Just ensure you only buy the handle when it is on offer to reduce the wallet impact of periodic replacements.