5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!
Published 22 months ago by Dr G

3.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, flawed design for long life
Published 4 months ago by R. Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!, 24 Feb 2013
Dr G (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
I had a "Healthywhite" variant of this until a couple of weeks ago (when it broke), which lasted just over 2 years (just outside the warranty!). Very good brush, shame it died (little metal linkage inside sheared, battery was fine). Bought this, as I find this type much better than the Oral B type, and I didn't find I ever used the Sensitive setting, and couldn't see what the "white" setting gave over the normal brushing.

This one has on and off, and a quadrant timer, and that's it. No bells and whistles. Works just as well as the more expensive versions though. Completely subjective, but I find it nicer to hold than the healthywhite version as well. I'd suggest you not waste your money on the more expensive versions unless you have got need of the sensitive setting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, flawed design for long life, 14 Aug 2014
R. Chance - See all my reviews
The good news is this is a great toothbrush, really effective. The bad news as many others have pointed out is its designed to fail uncannily out of warranty so I have had a few, as long as you buy on offer price you can live with it. As an engineer I have carried out post mortems on several. 1st common fault is the rubber seal around the metal spindle the brush fits on, it is very thin and wears and splits, allowing water into the electronics, this causes the erratic behaviour such as random buzzes and charging failure. It can be cured if you can get it apart, dry it out and fill the split seal with silicon sealant. This seal really should be a replaceable and an available part (or a lot thicker!). 2nd fault is the motor linkage breaking. Curiously it seems to be made of die-cast steel instead of normal ductile mild steel. Cast steel is more brittle and will eventually crack and fracture under repeated stress (such as a vibrating mechanism!), curious choice of material eh? You can minimise the stress on this thin bit of metal by avoiding pressing too hard with the brush which you shouldn't do with this type of brush anyway, the high speed does all the work without pressure on the teeth. On the basis of what I have seen I certainly would buy any of the more expensive models. All said, it is a good brush, my dentist has not had to do anything for years and comments on how clean my teeth are with no build up so its worth it in my book, just a pity its made like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleans Teeth Brilliantly, but Unreliable, 6 Sep 2013
I have been using these Sonicare brushes for about the last 6 years. The quality of the teeth cleaning is excellent. Whether by coincidence or design, since I started using Sonicare on recommendation from my dentist, I have never had another filling since then. After I had a tooth implant, the dentist advised me not to use Braun toothbrushes as it could dislodge the implant, but Sonicare is ok.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that as many other reviewers have pointed out, these toothbrushes seem to be designed by someone who is a total genius in planned obsolescence. I have had about 6 of them, and every single one breaks about a month after the guarantee runs out - same problems as everyone else - broken motor link in the first few models, and more recently, the brush stops charging. I must admit, it must take some really amazing engineering to design a product that consistently breaks just after the guarantee runs out.

My advice is to buy the cheapest model and treat it as a 1 year disposable item if you can afford it.

If anyone from Philips reads these reviews, frankly I would rather pay a higher price for the product and have it last for 5 years, than have to replace it every year....

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 17 Sep 2013
Read some great reviews and it does not dissapoint however it is expensive and only came with one brush head

5.0 out of 5 stars sonicare easiclean toothbrush, 10 Sep 2012
Bought as a replacement for a much older model. I like this new one, it is slimmer and lighter, keeps the charge really well and shifts plaque like there's no tomorrow! Point of information, you don't have to buy the top range toothbrush from sonicare to get the diamond brush heads. These diamond brush heads fit the easiclean model no problem. And it is my view that it is the brush head, not so much the tooth brush itself that is the main plaque remover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare, 20 April 2013
This is a good toothbrush, it does the cleaning job perfectly, however it broke down after 10 months of use, I am not happy about this and not sure if I can get my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean, 29 Aug 2013
Andrew (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After having read so many glowing reviews of the Sonicare range, I just had to give it a go. The Easyclean HX6511/50 is the best value Sonicare product, offering basically the same performance as the top-of-the-range model but without the unnecessary cleaning modes and fancy packaging. Combine with a Diamondclean HX6062/16 head, and you have a market-leading toothbrush for a fraction of the price.

And yes, it's brilliant. It's very light and easy to use, and the automatic timer makes it easy to brush your teeth for the recommended 2 minutes. My teeth are so smooth and clean, and gradually getting whiter as the plaque is vibrated away at 31,000 strokes per minute!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonicare is an excellent choice, 21 July 2012
The Philips Sonicare was recommended to me by my hygenist. It holds a good charge and is easy to use. It gives teeth the just polished feel after every use. I would thoroughly recommend it. This product was a competative price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 April 2012
This toothbrush gives you an excellent clean. My husband already has a higher model and I got sick of switching the heads, so I decided to try this. It is just as good in my opinion, just not as pretty. When using this brush, my hand feels a little tingly (for lack of a better word) from the vibration which is fine, but would put my kids off. Not that this product is aimed at children. The charger is small and very light, maybe not as stable as some other models, but it does the job. I got this on a 40% off sale and am very happy with my purchase. Don't hesitate to buy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars In comparison to Flexicare these measure up poorly, 27 May 2013
My old flexicare + UV system brush packed up after 5 years of use. So I thought this was the same thing in principle but oh was I wrong the clean is inferior to the other Flexicare brush which is more expensive but cleans so much better plus the UV clean system for the brushes might play a part in the results. I get compliments on my teeth all the time so I must be doing something right haha. Spend the extra you're teeth are worth it.