5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!
Published 20 months ago by Dr G

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleans Teeth Brilliantly, but Unreliable
Published 13 months ago by Patthesplat

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the more expensive versions!, 24 Feb 2013
Dr G (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
I had a "Healthywhite" variant of this until a couple of weeks ago (when it broke), which lasted just over 2 years (just outside the warranty!). Very good brush, shame it died (little metal linkage inside sheared, battery was fine). Bought this, as I find this type much better than the Oral B type, and I didn't find I ever used the Sensitive setting, and couldn't see what the "white" setting gave over the normal brushing.

This one has on and off, and a quadrant timer, and that's it. No bells and whistles. Works just as well as the more expensive versions though. Completely subjective, but I find it nicer to hold than the healthywhite version as well. I'd suggest you not waste your money on the more expensive versions unless you have got need of the sensitive setting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cleans Teeth Brilliantly, but Unreliable, 6 Sep 2013
I have been using these Sonicare brushes for about the last 6 years. The quality of the teeth cleaning is excellent. Whether by coincidence or design, since I started using Sonicare on recommendation from my dentist, I have never had another filling since then. After I had a tooth implant, the dentist advised me not to use Braun toothbrushes as it could dislodge the implant, but Sonicare is ok.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that as many other reviewers have pointed out, these toothbrushes seem to be designed by someone who is a total genius in planned obsolescence. I have had about 6 of them, and every single one breaks about a month after the guarantee runs out - same problems as everyone else - broken motor link in the first few models, and more recently, the brush stops charging. I must admit, it must take some really amazing engineering to design a product that consistently breaks just after the guarantee runs out.

My advice is to buy the cheapest model and treat it as a 1 year disposable item if you can afford it.

If anyone from Philips reads these reviews, frankly I would rather pay a higher price for the product and have it last for 5 years, than have to replace it every year....

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare, 20 April 2013
This is a good toothbrush, it does the cleaning job perfectly, however it broke down after 10 months of use, I am not happy about this and not sure if I can get my money back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, flawed design for long life, 14 Aug 2014
R. Chance - See all my reviews
The good news is this is a great toothbrush, really effective. The bad news as many others have pointed out is its designed to fail uncannily out of warranty so I have had a few, as long as you buy on offer price you can live with it. As an engineer I have carried out post mortems on several. 1st common fault is the rubber seal around the metal spindle the brush fits on, it is very thin and wears and splits, allowing water into the electronics, this causes the erratic behaviour such as random buzzes and charging failure. It can be cured if you can get it apart, dry it out and fill the split seal with silicon sealant. This seal really should be a replaceable and an available part (or a lot thicker!). 2nd fault is the motor linkage breaking. Curiously it seems to be made of die-cast steel instead of normal ductile mild steel. Cast steel is more brittle and will eventually crack and fracture under repeated stress (such as a vibrating mechanism!), curious choice of material eh? You can minimise the stress on this thin bit of metal by avoiding pressing too hard with the brush which you shouldn't do with this type of brush anyway, the high speed does all the work without pressure on the teeth. On the basis of what I have seen I certainly would buy any of the more expensive models. All said, it is a good brush, my dentist has not had to do anything for years and comments on how clean my teeth are with no build up so its worth it in my book, just a pity its made like this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, 1 Dec 2013
The actual toothbrush is fantastic in its operation and Amazon were great as usual in getting it to me. The problem is that the toothbrush simply will not recharge. When you first receive the brush you are told to let it charge for at least 24 hours before using. I did, but there was no indication as to whether or not it was actually being charged when docked. No light or sound. This did not seem right to me and I wondered then if I had a fault with my brush or charger.

Now 10 days later my battery is flat. I placed the toothbrush on the charger yesterday and left it for 13.5 hours before using it last night. It lasted for 30 seconds before switching off signalling that the battery needed charging. So I placed it back on the charger for another 10 hours and this morning, once again, upon switching it on it signaled a low battery.

So my fancy Sonicare toothbrush did not even last me through a single recharging. And I am now about to contact amazon about returning it for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars sonicare easiclean toothbrush, 10 Sep 2012
Bought as a replacement for a much older model. I like this new one, it is slimmer and lighter, keeps the charge really well and shifts plaque like there's no tomorrow! Point of information, you don't have to buy the top range toothbrush from sonicare to get the diamond brush heads. These diamond brush heads fit the easiclean model no problem. And it is my view that it is the brush head, not so much the tooth brush itself that is the main plaque remover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 17 Sep 2013
Read some great reviews and it does not dissapoint however it is expensive and only came with one brush head

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean, 29 Aug 2013
Andrew (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After having read so many glowing reviews of the Sonicare range, I just had to give it a go. The Easyclean HX6511/50 is the best value Sonicare product, offering basically the same performance as the top-of-the-range model but without the unnecessary cleaning modes and fancy packaging. Combine with a Diamondclean HX6062/16 head, and you have a market-leading toothbrush for a fraction of the price.

And yes, it's brilliant. It's very light and easy to use, and the automatic timer makes it easy to brush your teeth for the recommended 2 minutes. My teeth are so smooth and clean, and gradually getting whiter as the plaque is vibrated away at 31,000 strokes per minute!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable but good warranty support, 19 Aug 2013
A. Turner (UK) - See all my reviews
My wife and I both have sonicares and I recon we've been though 6-7 Sonicares over as many years...lost count. All Sonicare models I have bought have suffered a design fault. Previously with an older model, it was the device that transfers motor rotation into brush head oscillation - after a year the brush would get noisy and then the head would stop moving entirely. I went though 3 of these under warranty and each failed the same way every 6-12 months. I can confirm that this is NOT a problem with this newer model, that seems to be solved.

The problem with this model, is that after a year, the handle stops charging. It just won't flash when placed on the charger. Bought a pair of these, both of them have gone the same way, both replaced under warranty, and one of the replacements has also gone again with the same fault, which has just been replaced again (1 month left on warranty). Still, Philips customer service is great, they replace them promptly and without a fuss, and since they replace a defective handle with a new boxed set, I also have collected many spare chargers and accessories!

These Sonicare toothbrushes are very effective and pleasant to use. I do hope the next generation will have everything ironed out, but maybe that is wishful thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonicare is an excellent choice, 21 July 2012
The Philips Sonicare was recommended to me by my hygenist. It holds a good charge and is easy to use. It gives teeth the just polished feel after every use. I would thoroughly recommend it. This product was a competative price.