5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent learning aid or refresher of all the basics
Published on 1 April 2011 by G. Wall

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not so good on Kindle
Published on 9 Feb 2012 by Alec

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent learning aid or refresher of all the basics, 1 April 2011
G. Wall "Bass Player" (Europe) - See all my reviews
I have the previous version of this book. I think it is so good that when I saw this new edition I decided that I should write a review. This book takes the reader up to about what used to be O level standard, GCSE I guess it is now? All the topics are well explained and with a little application the content is within the grasp of all. I have other maths books that seem to delight in explaining with simple examples and then presenting more difficult exercises, this book never does this. My copy of this book is now falling apart with use. It inspired me to move on and get into A level maths, more complicated algebra and calculus. So for this I am very thankful.
So if you want to refresh your knowledge after a long time, help your children with homework or just understand the wonder of maths this is a book you should have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book, not so good on Kindle, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Mathematics: A complete introduction: Teach Yourself (Kindle Edition)
I bought the kindle edition so I could fill-in the gaps in my maths skills thus keep-up with my son's homework. The content is good with clear explanations and lots of examples; however, some of the formulae, especially those with indices, are represented as tiny graphics on the Kindle screen which are too small to read clearly and can't be zoomed-in. The text-sizing facility doesn't make any difference. Formulae are also often badly positioned with regards to standard text. Apart from that, it's a good book which does what it says on the cover. I have no hesitation in recommending the paper version, but not the Kindle version.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book is a great way to Learn Maths, 26 Aug 2011
Mr. G. G. Day (England) - See all my reviews
Having received this book within 2 days on the Amazon free delivery, I eagerly went straight into reading the Book, From the basics of Matamatics to slightly more complicated Maths, this book has a great way of teaching you in an easy "Janet & John" language, a God send from the days when teaching Maths at school was not only boring, but also coming out of lessons with the same blank look on your face you went in with.
I am in my late fifties and I wanted to learn some more Maths to keep my mind active, it will also help with one of my Hobbies Astronomy, It's true that we don't realise how many times a day we need to use Matamatics in every day life, and I have also learnt if " you don't use use it you will loose it" so keep practicing maths and start to enjoy it like I am. Thanks to Trevor Johnson & Hugh Neill for this book I only wish they were around in my day and at my school but it's never to late to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 30 Nov 2011
Mr. N. Moffatt (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
Whilst it is impossible to have a single complete book on Maths, the title does imply a scope that is much greater than that offered. Those readers who will be able to cope with the whole book will find the first few chapters desperately slow and simple. They take up a fair size of the book that could have been given over to other topics. Besides, what role does the sister Teach-Yourself book on Basic Maths have to play if many beginner concepts are supplied here?

But it deserves 4 stars because it is very clear and tidy with copious exercises (with answers at the end of the book).

Written by two leading Maths Professors, it even offers a proof of Pythagoras's theorem, but an awkward one. There is a much more elegant way to prove this.

But that was an exception to an otherwise consistently well written book, with great little 'insight' asides that offer meaningful tips.

They just needed to be clearer about their intended audience.

3.0 out of 5 stars More explainations needed, 12 Mar 2012
When I started this book I found it to be very useful. As you get further into it and things start getting more complicated, you could find yourself wanting to pull your hair out. Each section has exercises for you to do, with the answers in the back. That is all it gives you though, answers with no guidance of that answer. So you have to figure out yourself how these conclusions came about. This also happens through chapters, 1 minute you understand and the next something crops up and you go WHAT! For instance chapter on directed numbers. A question like this happens. ' An addition like 4+(-1) has to be written in a different form before you can apply this method. These three simple additions can be used to introduce the different form. 4+2=6. 4+1=5. 4+0=4. '. Excuse me!!! Where did those come from, they explain to me nothing about the original problem, and the writer most certainly does not explain. I guess because they know math, they seem to not want to explain these things which may be easy for them, but we seem to need powers of reading their minds. This book is good to an extent in the beginning, however too many of the same kind of non explaination continues throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and very useful, 9 Jan 2012
The book arrived promptly and I have already used it a lot in the tutoring that I do. The various topics are neatly and clearly set out, with excellent step-by-step examples and a very good selection of practice questions. The book is small and compact but holds a great array of information and exercises. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very usefull book., 21 Feb 2013
I have found this book very helpfull and well laid out and with enough to cover many aspects, and helpfull hints and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 3 Feb 2013
This book becomes handy if you're looking towards brushing up your mathematics again after such a long period of time that you had done some tricky mathematics. It's time saving and also refreshes your memory for some tricky mathematics.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent book, 16 Oct 2011
Gary McLean (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is great if want to progress through Mathematical topics quickly. The topics start off very simple and gradually get more complex. I haven't gotten far in the book. This is mainly because it doesn't explain everything properly or give you examples on how to do some things, for example

"work out the size of the angle the seconds hand of a clock goes through in one second"

Before this question was asked the book had two or three pages dedicated to explaining what angles were, However, at no point before this question was asked did the book explain how you would go about working out this answer.Nor does the book say what tools you may need to use other than a scientific calculator on some of the chapters.

I would have liked to have been able go through all of the chapters quickly multiple times to really understand them, but I can't as within the first two chapters theirs things that haven't been explained properly.

Most of the book has simple terminology explaining the topic, and a good number of exercises to work away at.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream became true =), 20 Aug 2011
Mrs. Angela G. Torres "Amazing book" (london- england) - See all my reviews
I need to confess that i never like Math, and i though i never would like it, till 3 days ago i found this book, the way the author explain, is absolutely simple, and very easy to follow, first i use it true looking inside, because i couldn't believe all the book will be so easy to understand, and for my believe, i am absolutely in love no just the book but Math itself, and for i say this, is very serious, taking in consideration i am back to study (after more them 11 years with out study).
If you like me never did well math, or are frightening to confront it, i will deeply recommend this book, i am very sad i didn't found this before.
Complete Math, thank you for make possible i understand and looking for make my A level in math, but the most important, for make me feel in love of it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›