on 5 April 2011
Looking for new books for my Kindle, and being a Sci-Fi fan, I was convinced by the existing reviews to try the first of the series.

The author plainly states that it is a simple fun-fest - where the good-guys win and the baddies all lose, and indeed this is true.

However, I enjoyed the first book (with it's excellent characters) enough to get all of the series, and indeed to read them all a second time. Like many other reviewers, I'm quite happy to recommend this series, and am indeed looking forward to Book 7.

The only criticism I can think of is that the author tends to repeat (in detail) explanations for some the 'things' present in his Universe, like the CT unit for example. This is both not necessary and a bit tiresome, as many people would have read the descriptions many times before, and a simple description would be adequate.
(If necessary these could be added to a Glossary at the end for those reading one of the books for the first time, but out of sequence.).

However, the writing style is generally good, the characters are excellent, the atmosphere generated is good and they are well worth the price paid.

I've given it 4 stars (because of some of the repetitious descriptions), but it's probably worth a 4.5 star.
on 28 March 2011
Well finished this during the last week and yet again it was a start in my lunchtime fi ish in the evening book. Glad they are cheaper on kindle otherwise I would be broke!
Just going to by number 7 then I know there will be a long wait until the new ones are written. What do we read in the meantime that has the same appeal?
Thanks again to TJD for providing a "back to basics" series of scifi stories that give so much entertainment without the "bloatware" style that seems so common today.
These books are thoroughly recommended.
on 7 July 2011
I read all 7 books within 2 weeks; I simply could not stop reading as I had to find out what happens next. I am a somewhat jaded military SF reader and I must admit that some of the solutions were ingenious. I felt that some events went too "smoothly", but I chose to ignore them and thoroughly enjoyed the read.

I am not going to tell you the content, but when reading the first books it reminded me of the Honor Harington series by David Weber.
on 5 April 2011
5 Stars again, because the formula works so well. There is nothing overly sophisticated about the writing, but the stories are enthralling. Like many I have read the whole series to date and await the new book. I enjoyed this one most as the author introduced new sub plots, characters and species. Really good fun to read, this series could run and run. I await the next book, and will probably not put it down until finished.
on 5 March 2011
I was away on a course, staying at a hotel with a poor wifi :-( I had taken with me on my kindle,
books 4 & 5 of the series expecting that they would suffice to keep me entertain. Not so I had to go
to the reception area to get a good wifi connection so I could download this ebook.

It was in the early hours of the morning, when I finihed this book to find book 7 was yet to be released :-(
The addiction was nox fixed in place and I would have to wait for the next brilliant & exciting chaper of this Saga :-(

I will leave it to those who love to explain the specifics of the story thus far! I personally can only say
in 50 years of reading I have only ever once before waitied so eagerly for the next book in a series.

For those with a dream for an adventure make sure you start with book 1 and read them all. With luck book 7 will be released asap.

Respects

Ron James
on 12 November 2011
This book, together with the other six books so far published in this series, is a real "page-turner". A Space Opera which openly acknowledges the Hornblower books as an inspiration, although the heroine is more likeable and infallible (perhaps closer to Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho or Dudley Pope's Ramage).

Set in the 23rd Century, with well thought out explanations for faster-than-light travel and other scientific advances, and gripping descriptions of set piece battles in space, all seven books are thoroughly entertaining.
on 10 February 2011
I downloaded the 'new Kindle' version as soon as it was available and I was not disappointed.

The author keeps up consistently with the world he has created, bringing in new worlds, species, characters, situations and solutions - some seemingly very simple for the predicament of those involved.

While you can read this book on its own, you would probably get far more enjoyment going to the first in the series (A Galaxy Unknown (A Galaxy Unknown, Book 1)) and reading forward.

And for Kindle readers (who cannot easily see to the end of the book, there is an appendix that lists characters/medals/maps etc to help understand the books).

Now I await the last (so far) in the series to be published soon on Kindle - I hope the author decides to create some more stories in this univers.
on 6 September 2013
I can not recommend this series enough the action and intrigue is beautifully written and the flow the plot is something rarely seen this is one of best sci-fi series I have read (and I have read a lot of them).
on 5 March 2011
I have enjoyed this series it seems to draw on bits and pieces from other good books such as enders game, bio of a space tyrant and even babylon 5 base management, for some reason I find myself picturing some of the alien races from star trek and mass effect when a new friendly or hostile race is encountered.
Echo other reviewers now gone through 6 books in a week and run out of something to read:)
Areas I would like to see development in are the estates owned by the main character, this being on a destroyed planet. Certainly the main character has had sufficient oppoprtunity to govern their estates as they have developed the economies in 2 space bases, seems a bit inconsistent that they would ignore the thousands of hectares of arable land and amass this huge debt when they could have driven a trader empire with access to crews from different races in a couple of months, the fact that they would have the support of this alliance, their allies, nordiakins, huge number of spare ships and potential for development of the economy.
Then there is also the potential for clone sisters to take the place of the admiral for example or for clone sisters to manage the estates or even for the development of new ships and new technologies by the nordiakins. I get that clones have not been introduced as they are still seen as against the law, though it seems when they a short of crews and they have proven that the main character could be cloned...
I like the fact that the main character does have this longevity and there is potential for a long series of books.
The one thing I find most peculiar about the author is the apparent feminine insight without a balanced male insight, peculiar with a name like Thomas almost feels like a pseudo name.
Something that has troubled me is the development of bases on the planet which are referred to as 1st bases twice, ie base one developed and then the next base on planet was also base one, but perhaps I misread, maybe this was because they were in different sectors or something.
on 29 December 2014
Another great read from Thomas DePrima. Well worth a great review. One of the best space opera series since the Lensman.