5.0 out of 5 stars Highly rated (on Canon body), 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 MKII DG HSM Lens for Canon (Electronics)
Having read many mixed reviews I took a chance on this lens and have taken about 500 shots so far using a Canon 5D2 (full frame sensor).

Its not an inexpensive lens but compared with some Canon L glass its also not that expensive for the quality it produces. 12mm is massively wide, possibly too wide for some landscape shots as it distorts noticeably towards the left and right edges but for architecture it is simply superb with perfectly straight lines giving beautiful perspective.

Sharpness: Very sharp at the centre (I'm guessing at full circle to the top and bottom of the frame) and local sharpening in PP fixes any noticeable softness in the corners. Slightly soft wide open but excellent at f8 - f11.

Flare: A criticism of this lens which I've encountered a couple of times with direct sun just in or just outside the frame. To get such a wide angle it has a very short lens hood so I guess thats something you have to live with. Just be aware that it can and does happen although I've taken shots right into the sun without any problems at all.

Build: Build quality is excellent, reassuringly heavy but not built like a brick, no lens creep and very smooth zoom.

A couple of significant advantages with such a wide angle lens, the depth of field is massive, hand shake is hardly an issue at all (no IS on this lens) and I've taken tack sharp shots at 1/6th sec, f11, 100 ISO in fading light.

I also have a Canon 17-40mm L but not happy with it at all at wide angle, its very soft in the corners and this Sigma lens simply walks all over it at 17mm so together with a 24 - 105mm L, it makes a perfect combo.

I definitely recommend this lens and I purchased through Amazon knowing that I would pay a bit more but could return and have it replaced if my copy was soft (Sigma quality control is sometimes lacking) but no need to as it happens and despite the minor shortcomings above which can mostly be corrected in post processing 5 stars based on value for money as I cant give a 4.8 - this lens is definitely on par with Canon L glass.

*****

A month on and I'm even more impressed, sharpness in the centre circle to the top and bottom edges of the frame is as good as any of my L lenses and very little softness in the corners. An excellent lens for the price allowing a lot of creativity previously out of bounds ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Wide Angle, 12 Mar 2013
Excellent Lens, The sharpness is better than my L series canon lenses, you get lens flare but you will with any wide angled lens

5.0 out of 5 stars filters on the Sigma 12-24mm, 17 Aug 2013
As the Sigma leaflet says - filters are not recommended for this lens, although the extension cap is fitted for a 82mm filter. Any filter gives heavy vignetting at all focal lengths except 24mm, because one has to have the extender cap on, so it's impractical. Trying garden shots I held a Cokin P 3-stop filter in front, just touching the lens hood top and bottom, and it worked. There is just enough dark area to cover the view. 1/2 inch of Sellotape joining top of lens hood/top of filter did its job, unseen - BUT - it only works between 17-24mm; any shorter and the sides come in. Given that, it does deepen colours etc, so it might be a handy answer on a bright landscape. The lens itself is brilliant on a Canon 6D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and a great wide angle lens, 5 Nov 2013
When I see the quality of the images this lens is capable of producing, I sometimes wonder why one would pay a great deal more for a Canon lens.

A superb lens with pin sharp focusing. Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but difficult to focus properly, 22 Sep 2013
Currently being used with a Canon 450D so the lens isn't being fully utilised at present, but still wide enough to allow for good experimental shots. In general I am pleased with how close I am now able to get to even very large objects or buildings and the quality of photograph composition this allows. I am not sure though whether it is the lens or my camera's autofocus that are at fault - many shots have to be taken a couple of times to ensure correct focus. My other lenses do not have the same problem, so I am wondering whether or not to return this copy and try another, or to try this lens on a different camera first.

It's a very solid, heavy lens, but when it works properly the results are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet as a nut, 23 May 2013
I'm loving this lens, although I admit my uses for it have been limited thus far. A few good shots for sponsors and the local press, and a few very encouraging portrait style images of dramatic skies. I've not tried it for anything creative yet - proper landscapes, long exposures at the sky, close ups with expansive backgrounds - but I bought this for the ultra wide angle of the lens and I am not disappointed in the slightest. I use a 1d MkIII and the creativity this and the lens offer is limitless.
Plenty of things to try it on when I go away for a few trips in the summer, and especially when we get some nice weather.
But quality wise and what you are able to do with it, well I'm very impressed.