5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Sigma 150 mm F2 8 APO Macro EX DG OS HSM Lens 72 mm Filter Thread for Canon (Electronics)
I'm sure there may be some variety in lens production now and again, but the copy I got is a cracker. I upgraded from the non-OS version as I find the 150mm is good for portraits too. The new OS version is an improvement in every possible way except for the weight and the price.

Its been well thought out - providing a hood for 35mm and another for cropped sensors, the slightly textured rubber coating has been replaced with a smoother feel coating, the addition of OS (quieter than some Sigma OS I've tried before) which does make a noticeable difference even through the viewfinder. Initial impression also hints its better at handling tough lighting conditions, not that the older model had a huge problem with this anyway. Haven't yet tried in low light.

Its also supposed to be weather proof, but doesn't have a rubber gasket like weather proof Nikons do; I'm guessing this means it just made with a view to making water ingress more difficult than the previous version.

Finally don't get caught out by the f-stop rising with focal length - this is just the same as the old 150mm but Sigma have now changed the firmware to report the effective f-stop as you get closer to 1:1 which ends up being a minimum of around f5.6; a useful improvement but you still get the same end result.

Grab one now while you can - one of the sharpest lenses I own and well worth it; an absolute cracker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my Canon 5Dmkiii, 8 Jun 2014
I've had good results using this lens, although I was hoping for a bit more macro, if you see what I mean.

The only thing that puzzles me is that the field of view shifts when you half press the shutter button and something rattles inside the lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its quiet and well made (like all my other Sigma's) ..., 15 Sep 2014
Its quiet and well made (like all my other Sigma's) F2.8 gives bright images and blurs the background perfectly. As with all macros your focusing must be spot on. It is bigger and heavier than I thought but thats why its well made. Well reccommended.