5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit - but easily scratched.
The BacPac is just what's needed for GoPro users like me who need accurate framing and exposure (the GoPro has automatic exposure, so the amount of sky or backlight in the picture has a profound effect on how dark or light your picture is).

Published on 27 May 2011 by A. J. Nickless

3.0 out of 5 stars LCD BacPac - great screen but DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN CASE
The LCD BacPac is a great addition to the GoPro. It makes it a little heavier that can cause problems depending on how/where you have it mounted. It has made using our GoPro a lot easier and the ability to review video you've just shot is worthy of 5 stars alone.

Published on 6 April 2012 by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit - but easily scratched., 27 May 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)

Using the menu is simplified as the LCD allows more space for explanations of menu changes (excellent). The BacPac allows you to play back your footage, too.

The only drawback as far as I am concerned is that the LCD and see-through back of the waterproof housing, are both very easily marked. Despite the fact that there are four housing backs with the BacPac - two for wrist mounted units and two normal (waterproof and non-waterproof for better audio) I anticipate needing to buy new ones (if available) quite soon.

Now that we can see what's going on with the GoPro, I hope the manufacturers will give us two stops (each way) of exposure compensation for the GoPro, so that we can get even better pictures with this fantastic little camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars GoPro LCD BacPac, 8 Aug 2011
Andy (Stirlingshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
This is a definite 'must buy' if you are going to be using the GoPro in a fixed position like a vehicle roof, bonnet, windscreen, etc. so that you can preview the position and the angle of the lens, i.e. r4 or r5 setting. The BacPac also makes it so much easier to alter the settings on the camera and is ideal for reviewing the footage you have taken. My only problem was some wind roar when using the vented back on my 4x4 (travelling slowly) but the suction mount has a fantastic grip and can stand up to some hefty shocks. The LCD screen does add quite a bit of extra weight to the camera though and in future I will probably only use it to set up the camera then remove it to reduce the stress on the Acrylic housing mount.

3.0 out of 5 stars LCD BacPac - great screen but DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN CASE, 6 April 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)

So why the 3 stars? The new housing backs that are included in the pack are so easy to scratch it is unbelievable. I noticed some smears and dust on the inside of the case back I was using so I tried to clean it. I used a rocket blower air blower to remove the dust then a fine micro fibre cloth that I use to clean my other camera equipment. I was amazed when after some very light cleaning the screen was incredibly scratched and marked. If you buy this then DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN THE INSIDE OF THE CASING, you will scratch it and then it will be very difficult to use the screen properly, especially in sunlight.

Luckily there are other case backs provided, but my standard non-waterproof one is now pretty useless. To get an idea of how easily it scratches take the inside back door of your current GoPro housing and wipe it lightly with a micro fibre cloth, you'll see it scratch straight away.

Would I buy this again - yes, but I would definitely not clean the case. I hope this review helps others not experience the problems I have with this otherwise excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Pro HD Bac Pac LCD Screen, 6 July 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
Very clever add on to the excellent Go Pro HD, better menu interface and playback via LCD screen, excellent only wish it wasnt so costly for all these add on bits of kit. Better if they made a new HD Pro with screen built in or come as part of the overal package when you buy the Unit. With the LCD BacPac attached It takes a bit of getting use to with the added button to play with but very useful once you know what your doing

3.0 out of 5 stars GoPro LCD BacPac - doesn't play large files, 5 Sep 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
After using the GoPro Hero2 HD for a few weeks I decided that I needed (as much as anyone `needs' a gadget) the LCD BacPac.

Unboxing new toys is always fun and the BacPac didn't disapoint. I was very impressed by all the housings that came with it.

Having it attached to the Hero2 adds a little weight but the mounting widgets are able to keep it in place when they're tightened up properly. Although I did find that the camera moves a little when off-road on my trike (KMX Karts Cobra) with the camera mounted on top of a monopod that's attached directly to the trike.

The one major drawback that I found was that the LCD is not capable of playing back long videos (large files). Whilst on my commute to work, which takes just over an hour, two video files are created. I believe the Hero2 stops filming when the file size gets to about 3.5GB - it then starts recording to a new file. This may be due to the file system limitation of the SD card (I'm not actually sure what file system it uses but I assume it must limit the file size).

So, with any video file that's large (I've not done enough tests to know exactly where the problem starts) the LCD won't recognise them. With no photo's (still shots) on the camera I get the `no photo' error message. When there are photo's I just get a blank screen.

I raised this issue with GoPro and after a few days got the following response:

+++
Update for Case #349218 - "LCD BacPac not finding large video files"

Hi Nigel,

We unfortunately have come across this bug.

We have notified our engineers.

Right now the best way to view the larger files is to play them back on your computer or TV.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Many Thanks,

Austin
GoPro Support
+++

Hopefully they'll be able to patch the software and get a fix out soon.

The LCD still has it's uses - I've not actually used it for playing back vides much - but it's great for lining up shots for framing etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb addition tot he GoPro hero HD Camera, 8 Aug 2011
Herbie Green "Herbs" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
Although the camera is superb at what it does, it had one draw-back - as a handle-bar cam the display was only on the front of the camera, which is difficult to view while cycling. Now with this LCD BacPac I can see the mode the camera is in, whether it is filming or not, and also use it the viewer to frame the shots better. Just a brilliant addition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for setting up shots...not much else, 4 Jun 2013
A. Hair (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
The LCD backpack was one of those 'should I, shouldn't I' GoPro accessories. Since getting my GoPro I've found myself doing a lot of timelapses - probably more so than actually using it for its proper function of filming 'rad stuntage' on my BMX.

For timelapses this is an unfortunate must have - being able to tee up your shots before spending 4-5hrs sitting around whilst it films is a god send, and saves those angry moments of getting home and finding your shot to be mis-aligned.

Now, I say 'unfortunate' must have as the overall quality of the monitor is not great, sucks battery if not set to 'auto-off' and adds a fair bit of weight to your set up. I have now got in the habit of setting up the shot with the monitor, then immediately removing it. Picture quality is average at best, any form of sunshine and you'll struggle to see the picture for glare, and the included housings scratch extremely easily - DO NOT remove the protective films on them!

So there you have it - this item should be used as a set-up aid, and at the price point it is unfortunately expensive for this purpose. If you are using it for timelapses you might want to serously consider it, anything else though (e.g. head / chest mounting) and you can definetly live without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCD BacPac, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
The BacPac is a good product I have found, I use it for aligment of the camera mostly when fitted to my bike but it is handy for photos also. Playback is ok but the screen is very small to see details. You need to read and view the install video carefully to install but once done it works fine. I also find I need to consult the user manual carefully as it is not very obvious having to use a combination of buttons to make it work.

Overall I am pleased with the product and it is very well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuffed to bits!, 29 Aug 2011
Mr. A. Shaw - See all my reviews
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
I bought a GoPt with HD to take some underwater footage when diving. After my first trip it was abvious that the GoPro is a very capable device and can be used as a proper video camera rather than just something you attach somewhere and hope some good footage comes out. The problem using it as a proper video camera is that you can't frame your subject. Well you can now with the LCD BacPac and it works a treat. The extended housing makes it a little bulkier but not by much. And the battery life drops quite a bit if you leave the screen on for the whole dive. But if you turn the camera on and off inbetween takes you can easily stretch the battery life over 3 good dives with shots on the surface intervals. The screen is obviously not big but it's just right for framing shots. I also have a monopod attached to the camera and with the camera extended out to 120cm and an arms length in front of me you can still use the diaplay to frame shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: GoPro LCD Bacpac (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
Absolutely brilliant product and well worth getting if you own a GoPro! Item arrived quickly which is excellent! If you don't have one then you had better because at least when you have it, your GoPro has a `view finder' and so you don't have to guess at what you're shooting.