Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 May 2011
First of all, this is seen by many as one of the best albums produced by Queen, if not the very best. There's not a duff song on here, from Tie Your Mother Down to Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy via Somebody To Love as a handful of their better known tracks, through to the tender You Take My Breath Away, the poppy You & I, the heavy White Man and the sublime waltz feel of The Millionaire Waltz. It doesn't get much better than this.

But this isn't just about the basic album. Here it has been remastered by Bob Ludwig and sounds, as a result, crisper and more powerful than ever before - closer to the way the band intended it to sound from day 1. Coupled with this, the band have included a bonus EP including an instrumental version of Tie Your Mother Down, exceptional live cuts of Somebody To Love (possibly their best rendition ever caught on tape) and You Take My Breath Away, an alternate take of Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy from their Top Of The Pops appearance of July 1977 and the HD mix of Teo Torriate.

If you want a quality Queen release, this is one of the best.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2011
I am pinning the following comments to all of the Queen back catalogue (excepting "Flash" which I wont get on cd) as they apply right across the board. I wont comment on the music - others have done so very well. I want to praise the sound.

Modern mastering technology will in most cases demonstrate more noticeable improvements in older recordings. I have now bought and listened to all of the recent Queen reissues and chronologically the benefits of the 2011 remastering lessen as recording technology and technique improved album by album.

The biggest improvement is to the earlier analogue work, which to my ear sound more "Queen" than the digitally recorded stuff - more bite and attack - irrespective of musical direction. My view is that digital recording "rounded" the Queen sound, particularly Brian May's guitar.

However, notwithstanding this there are clear improvements throughout the catalogue, even the later ones which were recorded using digital technology to whatever degree. Music is more open, brighter and fuller in a very revealing, listenable and non-tiring way. Bass and drum parts are now very clear as are the vocals which are expressive warm and very detailed - many more sibilants can now be heard which really brightens up "Queen 2" and "A Night At The Opera" for example where there were a tremendous number of overdubs which saturated the sound in places.

As I said in a previous review of "Greatest Hits", those who have a fair or passing interest in Queen will be happy with earlier issues, but for the enthusiast these remasters really are rewarding listens and well worth investing in. They really are very good indeed.
on 26 July 2014
Got this album bought for me for christmas the year it came out. It brings back memories of a time when, as a teenager, you could get so EXCITED about a new album from your favourite band! I suppose its only what the kids of today are doing. To me this was the penultimate truly great Queen record. After News of the World, their later released work was never quite the same. Having said that, as a live band they were in a league of their own, even in their latter years.
on 3 June 2011
This is an excellent album that deserve SIX stars on its own.
And here we have it in the best sound ever.
A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

The bonus disc, however, is a little weak.
1. Tie Your Mother Down [Backing Track Mix 2011] - Excellent guitar-work from Brian but not a track I will listen to again.
2. Somebody To Love [Live At Milton Keynes, June 1982] - Waste of space. It's pointless as it's already released on 'Queen On Fire - Live At The Bowl'.
3. You Take My Breath Away [Live In Hyde Park, September 1976] - Excellent live recording.
4. Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy [Top Of The Pops July 1977] - Excellent BBC recording.
5. Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together) [HD Mix] - Yes, it does sound nice but to me it seems as if the people behind these deluxe editions have been scraping the bottom of the barrel to find material enough to fill out the bonus discs with. Well, I guess it's better to have it than not to have it ...
on 4 January 2015
This is one of my favorite albums, I wanted 'You and I' for real hence the purchase having owned every album on vinyl, I'm building it back on CD to listen to instead of look at. It is almost 40 years old yet the remastering brings it into now. And wow. The bonus CD really is a bonus too. Freddie and his voice melt my soul. No Queen fan will be disappointed, and this is a must for any fan of real music.
on 6 April 2013
Always been a Queen fan and this follow up to A night at the Opera is not a disappointment with varied music and the unique Queen sound. I had this on Vinyl and thought it brilliant then. Queen are one of those groups that are timeless and this album is as good today as it was back then.
on 2 February 2013
As a fan of Queen's music, I consider this one of the best Queen albums of the lot. I bought it for my 13 year old daughter for Christmas, who loves it as well. This demonstrates how well Queens music transcends the generational gap.
on 26 December 2015
If you love queen for it's dynamic, rebellious, 'I don't care' music this is for you. Quirky, light in voice. Feelings are definately expressed - no holds barred, and definitely for any age. (It's very kind hearted music)
on 15 July 2011
I hate the fact people are saying the bonus disc is weak. It's not, it has some great tracks but the real treat is if you've heard 'Teo Torriatte' the HD Mix, hooked up to my dad's sound system [HDMI AMP - HDMI compatible speakers] you'd hear Freddie as you've never heard him before. In the original version of this song I never heard him breathe at the beginning but now you can its a much more emotional song and all credit to this remastered version. Go ahead and compare the different vesions on this album you'll see what im talking about. I just wish the japs would do all Queens songs in HD. Wonderful remastered album which makes any queen audiophile want them all :)
on 2 January 2016
I don't need to say much... its all been said before me..., already... a great album for any QUEENS fans collection
so if you are reading this then go get yours now before it sales out....
review image