on 25 September 2012
I have seen some people complaining about both the length and the shape of this cable, and I think those complaints are perhaps unfair.

To be clear, this cable hasn't been designed for you to plug your iPod into your car stereo, even though some people use it for that purpose. Fiio designed this cable to be used to link the dock port on the iPod to an external headphone amplifier and/or DAC, and that is specifically why the cable is moulded in a 'U' shape and why it is so short, so that you can put your mp3 player back to back (or side by side) with your external/portable amp/DAC, and link the two together.

When used for the purpose for which it is intended, the cable does a great job, taking advantage of the iPod's line out function through the dock port. The cable quality is good, does exactly what it is supposed to do, and is also cheap.

Buy this with confidence, just don't complain that it is too short or the wrong shape to plug into your car stereo. That's not actually what it was designed for :-)
on 8 August 2011
I bought this because the volume from my iPhone's headphone socket was low, when played through the "aux" input on my BMW Professional head unit. I was forever increasing and decreasing the volume control when changing sources between CD, aux and radio. No more! Simply plug the adaptor into the dock port of the iPhone/Pod/Pad, connect the other end of the cable to the "aux" port and enjoy line-level output, same as the CD input - perfect.

Only blot is that the cable could do with being a couple of inches longer (who couldn't?). Still, at this price, you really can't quibble - an extension cable would only be a few quid.

Recommended.
on 28 May 2014
I must start by stating that I love this product and regardless of how many times I have to replace it, I will!

The difference in music when listening via the external headphone AMP, connected via this cable is exceptional.

I have had 2 of these cables, the first arrived and did not work on one channel, the second survived for approx 3 weeks and then had the same issue in one channel. I keep the phone/Cable/DAC in a jacket pocket and listen to A LOT of music, so it may just get worn with all the movement. Once again, I will be getting a replacement though as its just worth it.

I use a combination of Iphone 4/ Accudio Music Player/ Fiio E06 Headphone Amp and AKG450 headphones. if you have a set of headphones that are on Accudio's supported list then be prepared for a MASSIVE jump in quality, the AKG 450 are on the list and sound sublime compared to listening on the Iphone and normal music player.
on 23 December 2010
If you buy the FIIO E7 for use with an iPod, a line-out dock cable like this is essential. This is the most cost-effective LOD I could find and it matches the E7 in appearance and build quality. Really it should be bundled with the E7.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The L3 is a no-brainer essential buy if you are looking to get a Fiio amp for your ipod. I have the E7 which is piggy-backed to my ipod classic, the L3 cable provides the perfect match betwist amp and ipod.

So, for your money you are getting a very high quality cable, it feels classy and the sound transmission is second to none, no interference or crackles if you twist the 3.5mm jack in the amp housing.

Also, an unexpected bonus is that your are bypassing the ipods internal headphone amp so you can have the ipod volume at zero, surely this means saving precious battery life on the ipod?

A very well designed and made cable which is a complete bargain for the asking price.

Truth.
on 24 May 2013
Very high quality product. Gives line out at high quality from the ipod for attaching to an amp. Very worthwhile.
on 6 September 2011
I'll explain my review title first..
The headphone port on my ipod is busted, only plays music out of one headphone. I have the 120Gig classic, and as such Apple said I have to pay £80-something to fix it (or more accurately replace it with another unit)

Now £80 doesn't come easily to me.. as such, this product was a saviour to the ol'wallet..

It attaches to the bottom of the iPod and has clasps that hold it in place (like some of the old iPod computer cables) so that it can't be accidentily pulled out when you remove it from you pocket, bag etc. like headphones can.

On the matter of sound quality, alot of people say they can hear a notable increase in sound quality, and this is true (I believe), it's not a lifechanging difference, but it's there, just on the edges.. slightly crisper, clearer.. so thats a bonus.

One thing I didn't realise when I bought it is that the sound only comes through at set volume level that you can't change. (which is why you'll see it advertised with an 'amp' like the FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier) you'll need one of these if you want to change the volume.
The set volume you get without it is just right though (on the cusp of being to loud, but it doens't tip that line), so you'd be alright until you got one.

One thing I will say is that unlike if you were to remove your headphones from an iPod, the iPod pauses itself, and will turn itself off after ea time. Removing headphones from this thing won't cause it to pause itself.. so make sure you do. Twice now i've removed my headphones to use them on my computer at work and drained the battery just in time for the bus journey home..
[but to any sensible person this shouldn't be an issue]

In conclusion, a fantastic product, well worth it's cost.
on 26 January 2012
I have an iPod Touch and a BMW with professional audio unit and aux connection point in the cars arm rest. Initially I tried connecting the iPod through its headphone socket but found that I had to turn the volume on the iPod to max, and then still have to raise the volume of the car stereo. This wasnt so much of an issue but the volume seemed to ever so slightly fluctuate from loud to quiet during playback. Having seen reviews stating that connection through the dock connector of the iPod eliminates volume issues I decided to try this connector.
So far it has done the job with the volume staying at the level it has been set at on the car stereo, with crystal clear sound as expected from a good connector. I of course had to use an extension cable to be able to position the iPod just outside of the armrest, but fortunately I already had one of these and the thinner cable of the extension lead enabled the armrest to be closed.
Its not obvious from the product photo but the connectors are gold coloured, but am not sure if this is gold plating or just the connectors themselves being made from a copper alloy. The cable also comes packaged in a small foil backed ziplock bag, similar to what computer circuit boards are stored in.
If you are looking for a cheap connector to link your iPod to a car stereo through an auxiliary socket then you cant really go wrong with this. The only slight bug with it is the bend in the cable which doesnt seem to want to straighten out!
on 18 February 2012
I bought this item alongside the Fiio E6 amplify to compliment my new Grado S80i headphones and i am very impressed so far with this item the sound is definitely better using this rather than the standard audio cable. The build quality is good I've had no issue with distortion or interference and I've found the length to be ideal (I believe there is a longer version....) when using with E6 and my nano or iPhone. Well worth the money
on 11 January 2011
So you need to connect your Ipod to your Fiio E7 amp? This is the only choice, to be honest - it's solid, well-built, fits firmly and is just the right length.

Granted, your Ipod (a Classic 80Gb, in my case) won't look so stylish with a Fiio E7 strapped to the back with a big rubber band, but it WILL sound worlds better. I still find it hard to believe HOW MUCH better. Use a decent pair of earbuds - you'll be amazed.